“We will keep on driving next time.”
Review of Sage's Brunch House - CLOSED

Sage's Brunch House
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
“We will keep on driving next time.”
Reviewed July 12, 2012 via mobile

We should have know the first time we walked in not even 5 min after the closed, we were greeted at the bottom of the steps by a very rude young lady and told that they were closed.
Visited again though. Walked in and we were told we could sit anywhere so long as the table was clean! Hmmm really well we chose to sig outside at a dirty table anyway. Waitress was rude and we waited 30 min for 2 small breakfast plates. Food..... not great in fact mine was cold. Needless to say that's one place we will keep driving by next time.

1 Thank Angnjason

WA
“Comfort -- on the plate and in the room”
Reviewed July 9, 2012

Sage's...The brunch house in a old grocery store. Food is freshly made and tasty. I've tried the Migas, Galactic Scramble, and Northwest Benedict as well as mimosas and coffee.
The Migas and Galactic Scramble had tasty Portuguese sausage pieces and the greens were fresh and crispy on the side. For the scramble, the eggs were cooked well (not runny or overdone), which was nice and the flavors mixed well. The Benedict offers a bechamel sauce instead of the traditional hollandaise, which was good -- but be warned. If you want traditional, they offer the "Security Blanket" breakfast of traditional eggs. The food is tasty and hot, the time to be served is slower, but so is the pace here. There is no rush to get in or out, take your time and enjoy. I spent a little over an hour for breakfast once and closer to an hour and a half another time. Heads up, it's a cash-only place.

• Visited June 2012
1 Thank Kari T
Mountain View, California
“Best breakfast place I've been too in a long while”
Reviewed July 2, 2012 via mobile

I come to Olympia often to see friends. I was brought here for the first time Sunday. I had the salmon scramble. The toast was delicious as was the salad and the potato pancakes the scramble sat on. I also split a blueberry and walnut pancake which is the best pancake I've had in years. We had adequate service although it did take awhile to get our food. My friend had the wild salmon Benedict eggs and loved it also. Will be going back as soon as I can!

Olympia, Washington
“Sage, the Unfriendly Neighborhood Cafe where the Customer is Always Wrong”
Reviewed June 14, 2012

At this restaurant, you definitely get the vibe that the owner (Sage) and her employees feel as though they're doing you a favor by letting you eat there. It's the owner's kingdom and she's top dog. Her waitress is next in line for obeisance. The customer? Somewhere very, very far below. Sage is unique in putting the concept of customer service on its ear, a place where customers are expected to cater to the whim, bad mood and incompetence of its waiters. I had suspected customer service wasn't a high priority based on how the store and its workers behave - being closed unexpectedly and without any notice or explanation, waitresses dawdling and chatting instead of taking orders, waitresses taking orders out of turn, getting orders wrong, etc - but I was truly surprised to hear this is how Sage deliberately trains the staff. This includes encouraging the wait staff to verbally confront customers if they get a tip they consider too low (this according to a former waitress). The result is a situation where waitresses flaunt an attitude of indifference and arrogance.

In our most recent experience, we arrived at opening time to avoid the inevitable long delays. Both doors were wide open and the waitress was visible inside so we walked right in. "We're not open yet," she said in an unsmiling, abrupt manner. We walked outside to wait in the rain for the official opening time which was just three minutes away. We walked back in about five minutes after the opening time posted on their door, expecting to be seated. "Eight thirty, I think you're open now?" I ask. "We go be OUR time," the waitress answers, visibly angry. "WE'LL let you know when." Sage meanwhile is standing nearby, observing the entire scene but not bothering to step in. Because treating customers as though they are human and valued for supporting your business is just, you know, so uncool.

Because customers are clearly such an incovenience, we won't bother them again with our business.

• Visited June 2012
1 Thank ClearVoice
Olympia, Washington
“Good food, crappy service”
Reviewed April 4, 2012

The wait staff here are incredibly rude. I have been to Sage's many times over the years and finally made the decision to never go back. The food is great, but no matter how nice I am to the wait staff (and how patient since it can take more than 30 minutes just to get a glass of water) they always treat me like I'm ruining their day by being alive. I thought there was something I was doing wrong until I started hearing from other people that always have the same experience. It seems the only people that are treated well are the friends of the owner.

Visited December 2011