“Keep on driving”

Cuisines: Mexican
Seattle, Washington
“Keep on driving”
Reviewed August 16, 2012

Hands down, the worst Mexican food. EVER. Okay. Well, barring the school cafeteria.

I brought a small gathering of friends here recently after using a popular search engine's reviews. What a gross error. It should have been a red flag that there was only one other couple dining here at 6pm. Places are usually starting to bustle about now. Decor was nice enough and the music was subdued, which we appreciated.

To begin, the salsa: Bland, weak, lacking heat and just as someone else reviewed elsewhere: "It's like the cook blended some veggies together and threw them in a bowl". There's no flavor going on here and the consistency is mush.

The entrees were served with a heaping wet scoop of oily Mexican rice that was tasteless and the worst sticky consistency I've ever had. Rice should be relatively fluffy. This was awful.

My entree, chicken enchiladas, was served piping hot with what I can only liken (color-wise) to the sauce that accompanies Chef Boyardee ravioli. Pale orange in color, and tasting like, well, nothing. Enchilada sauce is usually flavor rich and enhances the main course with a nice topping of melted cheese. No cheese here. Just that awful puddle of orange gravy. Worse still- as if straight from a can and likely microwaved. Overall, the worst Mexican food we've ever had. Yes, the whole table agreed: This place stunk.

And as New Mexico natives, I think we know our Mexican eats. I only wish I'd taken a photo of that hot plate of garbage to post here. To those who think this is authentic Mexican, I urge you to take a trip to the desert SW, or better still, south of the border and see the difference. This is not the real deal. I'm surprised this place is in business, frankly.

• Visited August 2012
1 Thank sydra

Olympia, Washington
“The best value, a must try!”
Reviewed December 2, 2011

I love Mexican food and this place offers the best quality I have ever experienced. The place is operated by a family and the food is hands down the best. The beans are delicious, and are authentically refried, not poured from a can like soup on your plate. The salsa is made fresh, the guacamole is perfect. THE BEST BEEF TACOS IN THE WORLD. Not ground beef but slow roasted tender steak. Real hand made four tortillas. I have been to many Mexican restaurants in my life and none can compare to El Nopal. El Sarape has nothing on this place. My family loves it! The service is quick and I have always gotten my food right away. the chili colorado is insane, same with their beef chimicangas and the guacamole tostada. yum! Even has a drive through for easy take out.

• Visited December 2011
“worse food ever!!!”
Reviewed September 15, 2011

first time to this place and it was my last!!! worse mexican food ever!! please everyone just skip this place if ur thinking of eating here! i used to run a mexican restaurant and i dont know how the oweners can be happy with this?? terrible
place!

2 Thank chiquis12
Olympia, Washington
“You'll get better Mexican food at Taco Bell!”
Reviewed May 7, 2011

I used to enjoy eating here. The Shrimp Enchiladas, the fact that you didn't get a puddle of beans on your plate, fresh salad with quick friendly service. Unfortunately, I will not be eating here again. The food was terrible, the servers grumpy and when you order a ground beef tamale, you get a pork filled tamale with overly salty ground beef over the top. If that's not bad enough, the pork in the tamale was "off". Save yourself a bout of food poisoning - eat elsewhere.

• Visited May 2011
2 Thank the_pixigirl
Olympia, Washington
“The Very Best Mexico has to Offer in Olympia”
Reviewed August 5, 2010

This restaurant is the best in Mexican Food. The beef is tender and marinated and the shrimp are exceptional. I highly recommend this restaurant no matter if it is for dinner or lunch or dinner or a snack. It is simply the best. The owners are there early in the AM making the tortillas and the salsa it is the very freshest.
Don't miss this opportunity.