The Governor Hotel, a Coast Hotel
Hotel RL Olympia by Red Lion(Olympia)(Great Value!)
$115
$121
$186
$167
Hilton Garden Inn Olympia(Olympia)(Great Value!)
$114
$100
ExtendedStay
$109
La Quinta
All reviewsdowntown olympiawithin walking distanceview of the lakeolder hotelcapital buildingcentral locationwould stay here againcapitol lakewafflesbed was comfortablecontinental breakfastnice roomfarmers marketstate
FilterAll languages
Reviewed June 30, 2014

the Governor was not our first pick, but when all other hotels in lacey were full due to the jazz festival we had to find something else late at night. we called the Governor, the front desk girl was very professional on the phone, said they had 1 room left so we reserved it and drove to Olympia which is not that far from lacey. the hotel is situated downtown Olympia, we were checked in promptly. Our room was on the 4th floor facing the street. since it was a Saturday night, I would have expected the night life noise to be a bother, but I was pleasantly surprised it wasn't.
our room seemed like it had recently got new carpeting, so it had the new carpet smell. I am giving the hotel an average rating only because we didn't take advantage of the breakfast, just coffee so I can't give a full rating. we pretty much just needed a warm bed to sleep in after a long day of traveling and a wedding in tacoma. the bed and pillows were comfortable. there is offstreet parking and underground parking.
overall our experience at the Governor was fine.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 26, 2014

My boyfriend and I booked a room last minute for the Capital City Stage race. We got a room with an amazing view of the lake. Both gals that worked the front desk were friendly. The only very small complaints I have is that the breakfast isn't the best. However, for the money, I really can't complain. The beds are SUPER comfortable. Overall, I will definitely be staying here anytime I come back to Olympia. Great, great hotel!!!

Room Tip: Ask for a lakeview!
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 20, 2014 via mobile

I really hate to leave my first bad review but it has to be done. This hotel needs major help, the only areas that are decent is the lobby, and the room. The parking garage is dark and scary and the doorbell ringer is just tacky and ups the creep factor. The elevators are smelly, rickety and just plain scary to ride in! Our room had nice linens and a great view of downtown but it smelled like cigarette smoke. The plumbing in the shower changed from hot to cold throughout my entire shower. Our AC was broken, and it was a warm and humid day. The mini fridge didn't keep anything cold (yes it was turned on).The service at the desk was just ok, didn't seem like anyone was going to go out of their way to meet any requests or needs. We were first given the wrong room, then at the end of our 1 night stay we were accidentally billed almost $700!! The management is working on getting that mistake voided however it is still pending in my bank account which is REALLY INCONVENIENT!!! Especially being out of town and having to put the trip on hold while the bank and hotel get this situated. We will most definitely not be staying here again. Sorry governor hotel, I can't recommend this place to anyone.

• Stayed: June 2014
3  Thank JulieCho
Reviewed June 18, 2014

If you want cookie-cutter, whitewashed, and bland, the Governor (and downtown Olympia for that matter) is not your place. If you desire character, and proximity to character(s:-), take the leap and stay here. The recent remodel greatly improved the hotel's aesthetic, but don't fixate on the superficial; focus on the location, the view, and the uniqueness offered for a reasonable price. And I would be completely remiss if I failed to mention that the staff was incredibly helpful during my recent stay.

The only reason I don't rate the Governor "Excellent" is because I reserve that rating for the places that are, well, exemplary and without need of improvement. The Governor could be better (e.g. the breakfast, while free, is calories without character), but for Olympia it is, in my opinion, as good as it gets.

Room Tip: Higher floor = better view.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Ryan K, General Manager at The Governor Hotel, a Coast Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 20, 2014

Dear Valued Guest:

Thank you for your feedback. We are glad that you enjoyed the uniqueness of the hotel and the location! We will continue to improve our offerings and product to be able to get to excellent!

Reviewed June 17, 2014

Air conditioning wasn't working and during the day the sun hit the windows of the room so that it got very warm however, we slept with the floor to ceiling windows wide open and were just fine. Great view of the Capitol rotunda topping the trees around the lake to our left and harbor views to the right. Very friendly staff, adequate breakfast, walking distance to everything downtown.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Ryan K, General Manager at The Governor Hotel, a Coast Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 18, 2014

Dear Valued Guest:

Thank you for your feedback and we are glad that you enjoyed your stay and the views from our rooms!

We apologize for the inconvenience regarding the A/C as we are fixing the issues.

We look forward to having you again in the near future and hope to provide even better experience next time.

Thank you!