“Funky setting offers first rate cuisine”

Doe Bay Resort & Retreat
Reserve with OpenTable
Doe Bay Resort & Retreat is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #2 of 2 Restaurants in Olga
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: The waterfront Doe Bay Café on the southeast shore of Orcas Island in the San Juan Islands of Washington State is dedicated to celebrating the unique seasonality, flavor and freshness of Orcas Island farms, foragers and fishermen with every plate that comes out of our kitchen. Thursday night is Pizza and Open Mic Night.
Reviewed September 9, 2012

Orcas Island seems to inspire great cooking and creative menus. We happened upon Doe Bay as we explored the island when we first arrived. The menu looked enticing, and proved to be when we dined that evening. The chef, Abigail Birrell, designs her meals around what's growing in her garden, and ready to eat. Everything served seems to come from local growers and fishermen, all recognized by name. I enjoyed a salad full of wonderful flavors...snap peas, green peas, feta,, cherry tomatoes and mint. Each bite unlocked a new series of complex flavors. My main course was local roasted salmon on a bed of grilled radicchio, and offered an surprising combination of tastes, all thoroughly enjoyable. It is also clear that the waitstaff admires the cuisine, and does a superb job of describing each of the menu offerings...doing a great service to the chef, while helping to guide a diner to the best choices for each palette.
The setting is very relaxed and it is clear that the locals enjoy the cuisine as much as visitors. We have heard that pizza night is great!

Reviewed August 30, 2012

We loved the doe bay cafe. Eclectic and artsy, this cafe served the most flavorful organic dishes. Our server, Peter, was very friendly and helpful and made the most delicious mixed drinks, since he was also the bartender. our highest rating for this quaint cafe.

Reviewed August 8, 2012 via mobile

I just want to make it clear that I have no problem with the food. It was tasty and well prepared. My issue is with the way my fiancee and I were treated. We had eaten at the Doe Bay Cafe once before (for breakfast) and had had a great meal so we decided to make reservations for New Years Eve. We called and made the reservation a month in advance, just to be sure we would have a table. We arrived right on time and were led to a small table, next to the bar and espresso station. I looked around and realized that we were given the worst table in the house. We had no table cloth (unlike every other table) and the whole time we had our conversation drown out by the noisy steam wand. We were looking forward to a nice leisurely dinner but wound up hurrying through our food to get away from the noise.
I would love to go again because the food was fantastic but I think this time I will reserve a table by the window.

Reviewed August 4, 2012

Our friends (who live nearby) took us to a number of restaurants, but Doe Bay was by far the best. Everything was delicious, from soup and salad through fish and pizza entrees, to desserts. The pizza was a yummy cheese with wild mushrooms. My only complaint was that my salad was advertised as having candied pecans, but plain walnuts (yuk) were substituted without warning or explanation (or apology when I commented to our waiter). This food took awhile to arrive, so go there when you want a leisurely, but delicious, meal.

Reviewed July 19, 2012

This review is based on a brunch we recently had at the Doe Bay Restaurant, so not sure at all about dinner (although I've heard good things about that, too). We were staying in a yurt at Doe Bay, and were looking for a good Saturday morning meal (that we didn't need to cook for ourselves). We were at first impressed by the renovations made to to restaurant, since it had been a few years since we had been there--very clean, open, spectacular views of the bay, and local art on the walls. The waiter took his time to explain the menu and the local ingredienats that went into each dish, and we settled on the brunch specials. Both the quiche and the special scramble were spectacular--each ingredient came deliciously through and they all worked together. Expertly-crafted capuccinos completed the meal.Plus, we felt welcome to stay as long as we liked. Well worth a trip to Doe Bay, even if you're not staying there!