“Great Hotel”

Best Western Lighthouse Suites Inn
Ranked #3 of 14 Hotels in Ocean Shores
“Great Hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2010

This is a great hotel. I saw mixed reviews, but I was pleasantly surprised. Location was the closest to the beach. Free breakfast was really nice - waffles, fresh fruit, cereal, muffins, yogurt, hard boiled eggs, juice, milk. Pool was a lot of fun for my kids. The room was clean and well maintained. One of our beds could have been more comfortable, but it wasn't too bad. It is a nice, clean, comfortable hotel, comparable to other WA State family friendly locations - Lake Chelan, Winthrop, Great Wolf Lodge.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (177)
Lausanne, Switzerland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2010

We were staying in this hotel during 4th of July and had an excellent view on the fireworks at the beach of Ocean Shores. A truly unique experience. The hotel room are very spacious and have all amenities needed including an indoor pool and hot tube.

We made a direct booking on bestwestern.com and had a really competitive rate.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Federal Way, Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 4, 2010

We just got back from a stay at the Lighthouse Inn. We usually stay at the Quinault but got this room for less than half the price there. The room was much larger than the ones at the Quinault. It was clean, smelled nice, spacious, no complaints except the timer on the fireplace went off too soon. The front staff was very friendly and helpful, in fact I had forgotten my cell phone charger and they let us go through a box of stuff left behind to see if they had one that would work. My only complaints are that the room (207) was too close to the beach access road. I love the roar of the ocean and instead heard the roar of the traffic driving up and down the road to the beach through puddles. I also feel the breakfast area is poorly set up and on a holiday weekend with a packed house, it was difficult to get to the food. The lady filling the food area did a great job and never lost her cool, though. I was happy with my stay here.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
Tacoma
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2010

This is actually the 2nd time I stayed at this hotel. My first experience seemed OK from what I could recall and this is why I booked this hotel for the 2nd time.

My experience this 2nd time wasn't horrible, but it wasn't great either. I'll take a moment to explain my experience.

I booked this room via the internet and I chose the most expensive room they had to offer, which was a 3rd level ocean view corner suite. After on online coupon code this room cost me $186.xx for 1 "Saturday" night. Upon checking into the hotel, I asked if the room had a DVD player (the website says "DVD Players available") I was informed that the room I was getting did not have one. I questioned her as to how the most expensive room they offered didn't have a DVD player. She explained to me that they get that complaint all the time and they didn't know why the owner of the hotel only furnished some rooms with DVD players and that is typically there biggest complaint. I asked if I could get one put in my room and they said that they would check if there were any extra DVD players available. She went on to explain that it's very hard to get the maintenance guy to do anything because he doesn't like to be bothered. Seriously? This is this guys job, and the front desk is concerned about contacting him because he obviously complains about doing his job. I was eventually told that they didn't have any extra DVD players, I overheard this whole conversation via "walkie talkie".

I checked into the room and wasn't impressed. The room felt dated like it hadn't changed since the building was erected. Our particular room, had 2 VCR's. Not sure why, but it did. The view from our room was very nice and the placement of the fireplace was great too. The fireplace itself looked old and not elegant at all. Not to mention it's on a 15 minute timer. So you turn the knob and 15 minutes later it shuts off. I was not a huge fan of this option. I like my romance to last longer than 15 minutes and I don't like the interruption to go turn it back on. The refrigerator wasn't "COLD" it was "COOL" at best and the microwave was "small" .... "tiny" at best.

When we left for dinner I stopped by front desk again and asked if there was anyway to get a DVD player from a different room put into our room and they said the maintenance guy wouldn't be back until 7pm and that they would try to get him to do it.

We came back to the hotel at about 7:30pm or so. Again, I asked the front desk about the DVD player. They told me that the maintenance guy told them that it is possible to put a DVD player in the room but that he didn't really want to do it. I couldn't believe what I heard. I'm paying almost $200 for 1 night in their hotel. Trust me, there are other options in Ocean Shores, and they don't want to fix even the smallest of issues like getting me a DVD player. My whole plan for the day was to enjoy Ocean Shores, walk on the beach, breathe the ocean air, go to dinner come back to the room and relax, enjoy the view, fireplace and watch a movie before going to bed. The purpose of my trip was to relax and get away for the night. And they were showing no value to me as a customer in a horrible economy when I didn't "NEED" to be spending my money at their hotel and they were making certain that I never would again. I finally asked to be changed to a different room that actually had a DVD player. Since they couldn't provide me with DVD Player. She told me that was probably the best option due to the fact that it's nearly impossible to get the maintenance guy to do anything. I found it hilarious that I had to suggest switching rooms, I had to resolve my own problems. The front desk is apparently not in the business of fixing issues nor are they in the business retaining customers.

Now, I know that overall it seems I'm giving a poor review due to the DVD Player issue. But let me just say this. The DVD Player, wasn't a "HUGE" issue... it was a minor issue and it bothered me that the front desk was unable to resolve this issue on their own, I had to suggest it. I didn't even want to switch rooms as I felt I was dirtying 2 different rooms and I felt that was unnecessary. Not to mention they switched us to room 203, which was a corner room closest to the road that passes right next to the hotel... and guess what, you get to hear every single car that drives by. Thanks for the upgrade Front Desk. I've visited Ocean Shores for many years and unfortunately, I'll look to stay in a different hotel next time. Not only because the whole DVD player issue, but due to the fact that the rooms just feel "Old" ... not really dirty, just not clean. I didn't feel very comfortable staying here. For $186.xx that I paid, all that money is for the view, it's not for the 15 minute fireplace, the old outdated comforter on the bed, or the horrible paintings, furniture and carpet.... not to mention, you don't pay for the great service at the front desk, because that doesn't exist.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank ts02r1
Snohomish County, Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 4, 2010

We stayed here for three nights during spring break from school. I was traveling with six children ages 5-17. We have been coming down to Ocean Shores for spring break for the past 10 years and usually stay at the Quinault. With an advance purchase discount, the Best Western was half the price of the Quinault so we decided to give it a try. They say they're the closest to the beach, and if you don't include the Quinault, they are.

Check in was a breeze. I'd asked for adjoining rooms but ended up with a room in between us. I felt sorry for whoever was in that room as my children went back and forth between the rooms over and over again! The rooms were spacious, larger than the Quinault or Shilo Inn where I've stayed before. We had two queen beds and a hide-a-bed. If you plan to use the hide-a-bed, bring your own bedding as they charge $15 to use theirs. There is also a kitchenette area with sink, microwave, fridge, and plenty of cupboard space for a short stay. There is an fake fireplace in the corner. The beds were creaky when you sat on them but I didn't notice it when I rolled over in the night. The rooms were quiet without a lot of hall noise. We had a ground floor room with a "dune view" which meant our room was perpendicular to the beach. There was a door that accessed the dunes with a small patio area. The ground floor rooms that face the beach have access to grass. At this time of year it is not possible to leave from these doors and make it to the beach with dry feet. There is a large muddle wetland area in the way. I recommend you walk down the street that accesses the beach next to the hotel. I was looking forward to taking advantage of the "free wi-fi in every room" but it was down the entire time we were there. If I wanted to use the internet, I had to take my computer down to the lobby area.

Hotel ammenities.... fitness room that faces the beach, a few coin operated video games, free access to a computer with intenet access, a lobby with books, comfy chairs and a fake fireplace, coin operated washer/dryer, movie rentals $3.49 each or $6.49 unlimited for 24 hours (older movies to play on the VCR in the room), deluxe continental breakfast (fresh waffles, fresh fruit, yogurt, juice, milk, cereal, instant oatmeal, biscuits and gravy, toast/muffins/bagels, coffee). The lighhouse in the name is a structure on the roof that you can access with your room key. Up a set of spiral stairs, you will find an enclosed viewing area with a 360 degree view of the area and one set of floor mounted binoculars for viewing.

Their pool area is small, with windows that look over the parking lot. My children didn't mind the size of the pool but it was very loud in there. I ended up purchasing ear plugs from the hardware store which made hanging out in there much more enjoyable for me. In the pool area there is a sauna and hot tub. My kids spent a lot of time in the pool. Most of them came down with a minor case of foliculitis, small pimple like bumps from the water.

We would definately stay here again.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
seattle
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 2, 2010

What a shame....this place could be wonderful. However, the staff is short from being friendly, and it has awful service. Actually, checking in and when my family and I had any questions we were treated like we were NOT the guest, but an inconvenience! Worst off, I had my confirmation that had my total charges to my account....but when I received my credit card statement it not only had complete incorrect dates from the hotel, but almost $200. dollars more charged to my account that were UNAUTHORIZED! When I called to inquire about my account (had to call twice, first time message was Never returned) I was informed that the hotel is trying to make its staff accountable for the charges they apply to an account. They did appologize, but were short of anything else. I will NEVER stay at this facility again when they are fully aware that their staff is making charges to peoples accounts. What they do is make a charge, then the next day credit the account back....well, I still have to pay that amount they charged to my account until the credit goes through with the credit card company.....this is nothing more than FRAUD! How can a company operate in this unethical fashion? You are being warned. Like I say, it is a shame that a hotel so near the ocean is wasted by having employees such as these!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
3 Thank familyofsixSeattle
shelton
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2010

We always stay here for a family reunion during spring break and have for many years,The only problem we had was with one manager who would not let us pay for the room up front and was kind of rude about it but the other manager did. I do that so I know exactly how much we can spend during our stay,and only once did we have a problem with maintenance fixing a broken fridge and sliding door. It was reported but they didn't fix it during our stay . Other than that the staff was professional and great with kids which we really appreciate. The rooms are clean and well stocked if you need anything else pillows, blankets, etc. the staff will bend over backwards to help you. If you have kids this is your place!

Stayed April 2009, traveled with family