“Rooms are shabby!” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #3 of 14 Hotels in Ocean Shores
Seattle
“Rooms are shabby!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2009

My colleagues stayed here while I stayed at the Comfort Inn down the street. I saw the rooms here and they were SO shabby I was really happy I chose the Comfort Inn (which is very clean, modern and nice). The rooms at the Best Western looked old and run down but were moderately clean. My colleague needed to request a new mattress because her's sagged SO bad in the middle she had a terrible back ache. To their credit, they did actually replace it for her. Personally, I would never choose this hotel based on their run down rooms. Go over to the Comfort Inn - it's a better deal and the rooms are MUCH cleaner and nicer!!

Stayed August 2009, traveled on business
2 Thank Julie T

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (176)
Vancouver
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2009

We stayed one night in an ocean front room with a balcony. We have a whole list of complaints but I will try to stick with the major issues. First of all the hotel is not worth $200 per night. They were hardly full (maybe 25 suites). At check in the hotel lady answered a call and offered the caller the same room we had booked for $30 less!! I had to force the door open with my shoulder since it had been damaged. When we got in our room we were overcome by the stench of cheap room deodorizer. Stepping out onto the balcony we were repulsed by the green fungus everywhere. We had to wear our shoes and could not touch the banister. The overhead roof soffits were green and mouldy. If I had a screen door on my house like this all dirty and full of holes I would have to punch out my front teeth and learn to play the banjo. The sliding door could not be locked because the latching mechanism was rusted and broken.

The room had been cleaned but the furniture was in bad need of being steam cleaned. The paintings had water stains. The bathroom door handle was broken. The beds were moderately comfortable but we were now feeling uncomfortable to really enjoy the room.

The breakfast was minimal compared to other Best Westerns. The fruit was ROTTEN. The bread was so hard that toasting was pointless.

The pool was in need of being completely rebuilt. They had sploshed paint over the old and crumbling concrete.

If you don't follow my advice an decide to stay here at least post your expiences honestly afterward like I have done to caution others. We are regular customers of Best Western but will never stay here again.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Canuckscout
Columbia, SC.
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2009

My wife waited until we were on our way home to tell me that the "dirty old man" who manages the Waves Restaurant at the Best Western lighthouse suites inn had made a sexually lewd comment to her while I was using the mens room. Had I known while we were still there we might have been saying good riddance to the passing of a disgusting dog of a man. I was tempted to return and confront him, however, I decided to let the world know instead to beware. Also, to be walking around seeming somewhat tipsy, with tobacco juice and spittle dripping from his lip was enough to gag even the strongest of stomachs.
On a more positive note, the motel itself was a delight. The staff was friendly and very helpful. We had a minor problem in our room and the head of the maintenance department came himself and very promptly took care of the problem. The woman at the front desk, Marion, was so pleasant and accomodating, we just loved her.
I would highly recommend staying at this hotel, however, if you choose to eat at the restaurant, do so at your own risk!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
NWTravelerWashington, marketing manager at Best Western Lighthouse Suites Inn, responded to this review, July 27, 2009
The information written is slanderous. Also, the restaurant is under separate management from the hotel and comments regarding Waves belong under the restaurant category. The comments regarding Best Western were appreciated, but are buried so far down, most people will not even read about the hote.

Thank you for your attention to this matter.
Mirfield, West Yorkshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2009

I am quite anazed at some of the reviews posted but respect the right of every individual to their own opinion.
We have not used BW for over two years having used them constantly for a number of years as we found the standards had dropped significantly. This was a walk in booking on a Saturday. The rate was good and everything about the hotel was spot on. We had a balcony room overlooking the ocean which was very spacious, comfortable and clean. We didn't use the other facilities, pool (someone complained in a review that it was full of children - come on), gym, wifi etc and we had no security issues. We ate in the Waves resraurant on the first night and the food and service were good. We booked a second night on the back of our first night experience.
I would recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
Seattle Wa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 10, 2009

My Husband and I traveled to Ocean Shores and decided to stay at the best western hotel there is was a wonderful stay overlooking the ocean, we had a balcony that we sat and watched the clam diggers after we were done, A younger maintenance man there showed us a very fast way to clean our clams and gave us a recipe that turned out to be the best clams I have ever ate. We are planning on comming back with our children and grandchildren next dig, Thank you very much for your help and directions.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ClamMagnet
Everett, WA
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 13, 2008

Having spent all year saving and planning for a week at the Ocean with my 15 yr old and Three of her friends we were extremely excited about staying at a really nice place The Light House Best Western, in Ocean Shores. Rooms were nice, clean and great location! But......

We booked 2 rooms, next door to each other, one for the single mom (myself) and one for the four girls, having come all the way from North Bend and Everett, WA; we didn't make any stops and saved our money for spending at the ocean. The first night we went out around 7 pm (making sure our doors were closed and locked we put a do not disturb sign on our doors for security) then said bye to the staff members in the lobby as we left. We came back at 11:30 pm, saw a staff member in the hallway outside another door, right next to our rooms he smiled and we went into our rooms. At 7:00 am the next morning we all went to the "free breakfast" and left our purses in our rooms, and again said hi to the staff members as we walked by, when I came back I noticed my door was not quite latched but did not think much of it at the time in all the excitement with 4 teen girls and forgot about it.

Later in the day when the girls wanted to go horse back riding and found three of the girls had cash missing from their wallets (not all of their money was gone, about 1/2 of what each one had was missing, approx 120.00), the only one that didn't have missing money was the one that had taken her purse when we went out. I had forgotten I had too left my purse at one point in the room and did not check. Nothing else was missing, we had lap tops, cameras, ipods laying out in the rooms.

We called the staff at the desk they were VERY caring and promised to call the manager, we also reported the theft to the Police whom were also VERY caring and did their best to find out what happened. Having the card locking doors one would think you would be able to track whom came and went and when they did, however the hotel had discountinued to keep the computer program that would record the comings and goings, there is also NO Security Cameras in that hallway (which happens to be right next to the stairs leading out side of the hotel) . When we told the staff about seeing the "staff member" in the hotel at 11:30 pm outside a room next door to our rooms; they told us that he was off duty and ought not to have been in the hotel at all at that time. After having spoke to the officers I counted my cash and found I was also missing money (approx 190.00), leading me to remember that my door had been ajar upon returning from breakfast and I must have just missed running into the person. I had made sure my door was closed, as I have traveled a lot in the past and know one can never be too careful. The officers were pretty certain it was an inside job as the staff member was on sight and saw us coming and going each time, as well there was no forced entry.

I know we all made a mistake in leaving our purses/cash in the room. One of my biggest disappontments was how the Managers did not answer my calls or attempt to contact me about this.... there is NO explaining why it too me 3 days to get to speak to a Hotel Manager, she kept ignoring my calls, when I finally got to speak to her, she was less than helpful and acted like we had done something, as this "employee" has worked for them for four years as far as they know no one else has missed money... honestly when you are on vacation how often do you count your cash?? If you are on a VERY tight budget you know how much money you have planned down to the last penny on what you will use your $$'s. for.

This ruined changed some of our plans doing things we had planned, as well as our belief that we were secure in that hotel. We were not able to pack up and leave as I had already paid over $1,000.00 for the week (in cash) and, the whole town was booked solid for the surf and sand weekend as well. We made the best of it and learned a lot I would hate to have anyone else experience the same problem.

Upon checking out I made a point to thank the staff at the front desk as they and the cleaning staff made our actual stay very nice, but I did tell them we would not be back and would share our experience with others.

• Liked — Clean, fresh rooms.
  • Disliked — Lack of Security with their own staff....
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
      Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 Thank OfftotheOcean
Hillsboro, Oregon
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 7, 2008

We stayed here for our annual friends’ get-together on August 15th and 16th. The room and the location were great. Our room was on the 4th floor. The hotel management should spend more money on grounds care. The back lawn area had Dusty Millers going to seed and other out-of-season plants. There was also no breakfast in the lobby. We were given $1.50 off coupons for breakfast at the restaurant. If the charge was not $200 per night I would not even mention these little things, but this was by far the most expensive Best Western we have stayed at and I expected better conditions. The biggest problem we had was that the room had no hot water on Sunday morning, water was just tepid. This alone is reason not to stay here again. We called the front desk and about 15 minutes later a person came up. Since one of us was already in the shower and we were in a rush we couldn't have the water turned off for the repairs.
The room was large and had two queen size beds. I found the beds to be very firm. Another small problem was there wasn't an easily accessible outlet near the bed for my CPAP machine. Good thing my extension cord is extra long. The bathroom area had double sinks and there was a separate area with a couch, tables, and wet bar. The gas log fireplace was automatic and threw off a good amount of heat. The room has a balcony with room for two chairs and had a wonderful view of the ocean. The motel is a short walk to the beach. The typical summer overcast and fog bank was present so the view of the ocean was limited to the early morning. There were people renting horses on the beach for $20 per hour and the riders went in a group along the coast. The beach is very busy near the motel with vehicles and horses; care must be taken due to the fog. The motel has an observation tower that one enters on the fourth floor and a walk up a spiral staircase to a room supplied with a free binocular stand. On clear days the view must be beautiful. The pool and hot tub are off the lobby and were filled with children. The pool area is closed to children between 10:00pm and midnight. I used the exercise room once and have no complaints. The room has a couple of treadmills, stationary bikes, and a “universal gym.”
We ate at the restaurant once, for breakfast, and the pancakes with strawberries and whipping cream were great. We had a dinner at Alec’s and were very disappointed. We had a lunch at Mr. B’s and had a very good cheeseburger with fries.
I would not recommend staying in this motel due to the high cost, problems with hot water, and poor ground conditions. If I could get this room for $100 per night, then the cost would probably offset the problems.

• Liked — Location and room size
  • Disliked — Cost and Lack of Hot Water
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple