“Nice rooms”

Best Western Lighthouse Suites Inn
Ranked #3 of 14 Hotels in Ocean Shores
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Best Western has nice big rooms with nicer than usual amenities. The extra seating area and fireplace make the rooms more enjoyable. The staff at the last two Best Westerns I've stayed at have been very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Connie W

Reviewed September 1, 2013

The room was large, there were cookies in the lobby one day, and that’s about it for the highlights. The breakfast buffet was free, and I guess there’s a reason it’s free. There was a sleeper sofa, which I seriously doubt would be comfortable on any night. Wood frame construction, so you can hear the people walking upstairs. The furniture is dated. The bed was stiff. The bathroom was extremely dated, and fixtures were disgusting - heavy buildup. Considering we paid as much as we usually do for a 4-Star hotel...we won’t be back.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank DEGSEA
Reviewed September 1, 2013

The good:
The rooms were nice, lots of space; restaurant was surprisingly good (excellent prime rib dinner) and room came with generous free breakfast. Staff and management were friendly and helpful.

The bad:
The noise. We're not super picky, but our family was awoken by; noisy adults in the one room, someone watching TV on the other side of us. The people above us walking, a dog barking below (just once). The child crying; *two* doors down. Any one thing was not enough to complain about; but put them all together and, we just got tired of being woken up.

I don't believe anyone was purposely being loud or was doing anything wrong; rather the structure of the hotel isn't sufficient enough to yield enough privacy. When I was sitting on the floor playing with my 4mo son; You can literally feel the floor move when others are walking in other adjacent rooms.

The manager understood and gave us 1/2 of our pre-paid second night back.

Room Tip: First floor; not much of a view, but are dog friendly. The higher the better; and the further away...
Reviewed August 31, 2013

The only good thing about this hotel is that the employees seem happy but once you read through this review you’ll realize that they are this way because under the surface this hotel is not worth your money. Being happy is the only way to gloss over the reality of a poor experience.

We reserved a view room with two queen beds for $150/night. They allow pets as referenced on their website, the ocean shores hotels website, and a pet friendly listing website. They are also one of the hotels that advertised that they are cat and dog friendly. I set up the booking, gave my cc number, and left a note in the booking that we’ll be traveling with our cat. It’s my personal policy to follow-up an online booking with a phone call to the hotel for verification that cats are, indeed, allowed. So, I called them up to verify.

The girl working the front desk initially said that she was sorry, they don’t accept cats. She said one woman had snuck her cat into the hotel and it scratched up all the furniture and peed everywhere. I said, “Ok, but are you aware your website and other websites list that you’re cat friendly?” She thanked me and said she would look into that. I told her to go ahead and cancel the reservation, please. She seemed shocked and asked why. I said we’re travelling with our cat and you just said they aren’t allowed so we need to reserve a room in a different hotel. She told me to hold on and she would check with her manager. I waited on the line and she came back in a minute or two and said they could make an exception but they would have to put us in one of the dog rooms on the ground floor. I told her, “I’m sorry, the whole point of my visit to the ocean is for the view. My favorite thing to do is sit on the balcony, take in the view, and read. A ground floor room wouldn’t do. Thank you, but I’ll need to cancel the reservation.” She was quite friendly and told me to hold on a minute, she’d check with her manager again. She was away for another minute or two and came back and said it would be ok just this one time. She said she had me set up for the 4th floor, view room, like I had originally wanted. She said she made a note of this on my reservation so that whoever worked the front desk would know and everything would be fine – just don’t let our cat scratch the furniture and pee everywhere. I asked if she was sure because it would be just awful if we showed up and didn’t have a room. She assured me it would be just fine and if any guests asked why we had our pet up on the 4th floor we were to say he’s a service animal (really, she told us to say this). She also said she gave us an extra discount on our room. I thanked her and was initially very happy with the experience.

On the morning of our reservation, as we were driving to the ocean, I received a phone call from one of the hotel managers saying cats weren’t allowed in the hotel but that they would make an exception this time but they would have to put us in one of the dog rooms on the first floor. I called her back and let her know about the above conversation. She said that the employee hadn’t cleared it with either her or the other manager but we were all set up in one of their “best rooms” with a “private entrance”. I said I really wanted the view room and she told me this particular room did have a view of the ocean. I didn’t believe it but what could we do? We were on our way. I said, ok, I’m not that happy with the situation but ok. She thought we may be in the area so she said we could even come and check in early if we wanted. I told her we were still several hours out, but thank you.

Now for the hotel issues:
•They pre-charged my credit card for a much higher room rate than I reserved for a 4th floor ocean view. What should have been just over $300 turned out to be close to $500.
•We arrived at 2:30pm and the room wasn’t ready. We had to wait for an hour – even though she originally said that morning that we could come early.
•The room was infested with millipedes. We couldn’t leave after dark because the millipedes were all over the front and back porch and the doors. They came in through the door and floor cracks. Getting up to use the bathroom in the night was awful and the next morning in the light was nightmarish. There were millipedes crawling around the floors and up the walls.
•The room wasn’t private and didn’t have an ocean view. It was right on the busiest road out to the ocean and the little sliver of ocean we could see was essentially a parking lot. There is also a campground right across the street.
•The room had one king bed, not two queens.
•The sliding glass door didn’t lock and the flimsy metal brace they installed to replace the lock wouldn’t stay in place to keep it secure.
•There was no screen on the window so we couldn’t keep it open.
•The fireplace was louder than the TV at a moderate sound level and on a 15 minute timer.
•The room got quite warm overnight even with the heat set at 62 so I turned on the ceiling fan and got a face full of dust and dirt that also covered the bed.
•The hot water took around 10 minutes to arrive in the shower.
•When I brought up these issues to the front desk, the woman there shuffled through a drawer and gave me an unsigned (therefor not valid) $30 voucher for my next stay there (which I’m unlikely to do). They had pre-charged my credit card so she wouldn’t refund any money to me.

It felt a whole lot like a bait and switch operation to me. I honestly felt like everything was going to be perfect after my initial verification phone call to them when I first reserved the room. Boy, was I fooled! And fooled out of a whole lot of money!

7  Thank Skyler D
Erika L, Front Office Manager at Best Western Lighthouse Suites Inn, responded to this reviewResponded November 14, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write this review. I'm sorry that you were told that you could stay in a non pet friendly room with a cat. We have designated pet rooms on the first floor only to ensure that guests with pet allergies will be safe staying in a room on a higher floor. Regarding the millipedes, unfortunately every year at the end of the summer the whole city of Ocean Shores has this problem. We have the pest control here weekly to treat our property during this time. Keep in mind that we have pets staying in our first floor units, so the pest control uses chemicals that are safe for the animals. We hope that you will give us another chance to have you as a guest in the future.

Reviewed August 28, 2013

This hotel is the closest to the beach and offers a nice buffet breakfast, clean rooms and a great pool / hot tub / sauna area for the family to play on a rainy day. The staff are pleasant and the atmosphere casual. I would give this hotel an excellent rating if the wifi worked better (our room on the 3rd floor was hit & miss) and the rooms were a tad better sound-proofed (we could hear people's footsteps above us). The price is moderate to high for what you get but that helps to ensure the a higher caliber of guest/clientele.

2  Thank Jeffrey G
Reviewed August 27, 2013

We had an awesome view of the ocean on the third floor, Next time, and there will be a next time, we will reserve the forth floor for the best view. The breaker blew in our room and we had to have someone reset it because the box is not in the room. That is difficult when you are in the shower. The rooms do not have air conditioning so you get all the heat from the rooms below. One night we were almost 80 degress with the slider open and the ocean breeze, and the fan on. Few things not cleaned in the room, and the quality of the breakfast is less than adequate for the price and considering it is prepared in a supposedly nice restaurant. The room amenities make you want to stay inside. So overall we had a great time. A few easy fixes and this Best Western could rate a 5 star hotel, with excellent reviews across the board. fortunately nothing that would prevent us from staying with them again.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Michael B
Reviewed August 27, 2013

The hotel itself has been around for a while. The problem is management. Never had a good experience with them. Always an issue with either remodeling or basic things like the coffee bar always needing attention. Elevators are shut off to the restaurant with nothing posted, etc. Just really slack management that acts really like they don't care. Always a frustrating experience.

2  Thank Janine B