“horrible service, and very rude, and slow under trained!”

Best Western Lighthouse Suites Inn
Ranked #3 of 14 Hotels in Ocean Shores
Fort Lewis, Washington
“horrible service, and very rude, and slow under trained!”
Reviewed April 10, 2011

we had resorvations for saturday the 9th of april 2011 well when we got there our room wasent available but understandable because we checked in early but when it came 4 pm check in time the room was not available still the people at the front desk were very rude! on top of that i had the cash ready when we got there and then found out that they wanted an extra 50 dollars which they did not tell me over the phone about so we had to cancel the resorvations. being military and with kids that was the worse experiance EVER!!! i would not reccomend staying there unless you make sure you get all your info before you arrive! i would reccomend staying at the sands resort which is where we ended up that night there are no un expected fees and nor charge to your card at all for resorvations . also the discovery inn was fabulous!!! we stayed there friday night .

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
7 Thank Sarahw7873

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (187)
Lynnwood, WA
Reviewed March 13, 2011

We spent last weekend here with three teenage girls. The weather forecast was for mostly sunny skies so we grabbed the chance to sneak in a quick trip to the beach. We grabbed two rooms rather than try to squeeze us all into one with a roll-away. The rooms were identical. They were large with a sitting area just past the two beds. There was also a small counter with a refrigerator, microwave & sink. This was a nice addition. We were on the second floor so the view to the ocean was unimpeded from the small balcony. The rooms were clean and reasonably priced although the cost for the extra person beyond two seemed a bit more than necessary given the what you get for the extra money (some food at the free morning breakfast). This hotel is very close to the beach and there is an access road to the beach right next door. This made accessing the beach very convenient (see below for one caution).

As far as faults - this hotel needs some updating. The furniture and carpeting in the rooms seemed older (the beds were nice though). The ceiling in the pool area was peeling and needed repair. Speaking of the pool, it is right off the lobby across from the front desk. Its kind of an awkward place for a pool. Another problem was headlights from cars coming off the beach. We were on the north end of the hotel and whenever a car exited the beach the headlight flashed through our room. You could avoid this by asking for a room on the south end of the building. We also didn't like the timer on the fireplace. You turn it on and 30-minutes later it turns off. While it isn't a big deal you have to get up and spin the timer again and wait 30-seconds for the fire to relight. This in not convenient when you are trying to relax and enjoy the fire. Speaking of the fire - it is merely for aesthetics as it produces no heat. Finally, we were unimpressed with the breakfast. The food was okay but had to be restocked on favorites items frequently.

So, it wasn't the best Best Western we ever stayed at but by far it wasn't the worst place we ever stayed either.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Bill_from_Washington
Kirkland, WA
Reviewed February 8, 2011

My cousin and I were originally heading to Snoqualmie Pass with my daughter but her workshop got cancelled and we weren't prepared to stay home...we wanted out of town. So Ocean Shores here we come...we picked the Best Western since I have a loyalty card. The price and location was great. They have a free small breakfast till 10am which is a money saver. The room as great, large and comfy. It was on the top floor great ocean view, had a fireplace and sitting area with small refrig and microwave. The casino has a shuttle till 4am so just have the front desk call it up for you. The staff was wonderful, really friendly and was able to answer all our questions. We had such a great time we stayed an extra day. The only downfall was that The Wave restaurant was closed for remodeling so you had to eat in town or the Casino.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
Surrey, Canada
Reviewed February 6, 2011

I like to go and check out hotels for my clients. I am a travel agent and it is nice to see what is available for my clients to stay in. I decided that I needed a weekend getaway and chose this hotel to go to. It got good reviews and it was in a great location. Our first problem happened when we first checked in. We gave our credit card for what we thought was a hold, but when I mentioned that I was going to pay some of it by cash at the end of the stay, they informed me that they did things differently and that the charge for the room gets put onto the card at the beginning. This is the first hotel that I have ever come across that does that... it sure made me wonder what they are trying to hide from people that they would charge the room first before you even stay.

I am currently still here, but very tired. The room is big, the jacuzzi is huge and the beds are comfortable, but if you want a peaceful sleep, do not come here. First the water for the jacuzzi is horribly noisy and it sounds like there is a huge motor roaring in your room. So if anyone runs their water for the jacuzzi around you, you will not be able to think. The sign says to not run it between 12 midnight and 6 am, but does that imply then that we are only allowed 6 hours of peaceful sleep? At 11:30 at night (while soundly sleeping) we were awoken by the horrific noise and for the next 10 minutes had to listen to the roaring of water around us. Then when it stopped it took another 10 minutes for our ears to stop ringing. We couldn't complain because it was still allowed. How on earth would anyone think I would recommend a place like this to my clients? That was just horrible and there is no way to block that noise. It was very very loud. Then when we finally thought everything was quiet, our heater crapped out and decided to make horrible noises too. I guess the fan broke and we had to kick it to make it stop and then we turned the heat off. After getting about 6 hours of sleep, the people upstairs started to walk around... and I am sure they were not walking loudly, but this place has paper thin floors and walls and you can hear everything.

This morning we went down to get breakfast and found out there is no coffee. The rest of the breakfast is fine, but no coffee? Thankfully we can make some in our room, but that is a little inconvenient since we were told there is 24 hour tea/coffee. Guess we have to go and buy some.

Again, the room is great and we love the jacuzzi and we will make sure to use it at normal hours. The location of the hotel is amazing and we love opening our patio door and hearing the ocean waves.

I just can't see myself recommending this hotel because of the water noises. That was so loud and if the sign had said not to use it between 10pm and 7am, then maybe it would be managable, but because they assume we only need 6 hours of sleep, I can't see myself recommending this hotel to clients who need sleep.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Lake Stevens, Washington
Reviewed January 26, 2011

We booked one of the whirlpool corner suites on the main floor for a birthday get-away. Maybe the rates were so good because it's the middle of winter, but we thought we got a very good value. The room was bigger than I expected, the whirlpool was fabulous, and we made use of the microwave, sink and fridge. The only complaints we had were that the DVD player had no instructions. When we asked at the front desk how to make it work, her directions didn't help either. We found out the next day that our room should have had a different remote control....no wonder the directions didn't help. Also the gas fireplace doesn't put out heat, but that was no big deal.

The Waves Restaurant wasn't open because of renovations, but we weren't going to eat there anyway, so that wasn't a problem either.

Loved the proximity to the beach, and thought the buffet breakfast was plentiful and good. I liked that they say you're welcome to briing your breakfast back to your room, which we did. I also recommend Dugans' Pizza in Ocean Shores. Very tasty!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Cruising-along
wisconsin
Reviewed October 29, 2010

I have always loved Best Western Hotels! Always thought if the hotel was a Best Western it would be very nice! Not this one!

I could go on and on but short version?

Place is dirty and needs a major over-haul! TRULY A HELL HOLE!

Great setting but crummy hotel! (PS. THE GYM IS A JOKE TOO!)

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
3 Thank wisconsinreeses_9
nokaoi48117, Manager at Best Western Lighthouse Suites Inn, responded to this review, November 15, 2010
As the manager, I'm somewhat surprised at this review. The writer didn't go into specifics, so I can only respond generally. We are in the process of upgrading to Best Western Plus levels and have replaced all of our bedding and many of our amenities. We just scored a 965 on our most recent annual Best Western inspection and were singled out for our cleanliness throughout. Our fitness room has a universal gym, recombent bike, treadmill, and stair machine, all new or like-new. There is water, towels, and sanitizers available. If the reviewer would like to contact me with specific problems, I would be happy to hear them, as we want to correct any shortcoming we may have. I thank the reviewer, and all reviewers, since hearing from our guests is how we continually improve.

Ken Wilson
Manager
Best Western Lighthouse Suites Inn
bwmanager@qwestoffice.net
Ocean Shores, Washington
Reviewed October 24, 2010

Arrived at hotel at 4:15 PM, i.e., 15 minutes after check-in allowed. Despite written confirmation of room type (for storm watching), were told "sold out." Couple behind us were told the same and desk clerk attributed it to overbooking. We drove for three hours to get there and were most disappointed. Hotel offered nothing in the way of making amends.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple