“One Disappointment After Another”

Quinault Beach Resort and Casino
Ranked #10 of 14 Hotels in Ocean Shores
Reviewed June 23, 2013

We've stayed here before, though not for a few years. So many things have changed - not for the better - that we won't be back.

When we checked in, we were sad to learn the breakfast buffet had been discontinued, but that wasn't a dealbreaker. We headed up to our room and were dismayed to find the sliding glass door had been replaced with a picture window THAT DOES NOT OPEN. Our only access to the ocean breeze was a smaller window that tilts out from the bottom to a distance of about 6 inches. We could hear the ocean, but that was about it. Even looking through the window was unsatisfying because it was not very clean (typical for an ocean view room, but usually not a problem because one opens the window to look out).

As many customers do, we arrived with three internet-capable devices, only to discover the wi-fi internet does not work well. When we called the desk we were told we could pay $10 for an ethernet cable (refundable upon return), or come down to the lobby, connect, and then head back up to our room and hope the signal would hold. This is a newer property in the 21st century, and this was the best they could offer? (I also did not have cell phone service in the room, though my husband did.)

We found a general lack of knowledge among the hotel staff; more than one told us they had been hired within the past year.

On the plus side, the bathroom was well stocked and clean (though the room had trash behind the chair and under the table). The bed was comfortable, and the HD TV worked well.

When I made our reservation a month ago, I was surprised to score a room with an ocean view on a summer weekend for less than $100/night. Sadly, now I know why that was possible. As I said - we won't be back.

Room Tip: Find another hotel where you can either step out onto a balcony to enjoy the ocean, or at least open...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank mrsacuna
QuinaultBeach, Marketing at Quinault Beach Resort and Casino, responded to this reviewResponded July 1, 2013

We did replace the windows in 2012 with ones that have a smaller opening, as these are much easier to keep clean, with the ocean breezes that blow through. It was a necessary change, even though we did enjoy the sliding glass doors as you did!

Reviewed June 21, 2013

It was a hot day and in the summer. We decited to go to the ocean to cool off. It was July and the weather man said" 96 degrees and up!!." Thats hot for washington coast area! We jumped into the convertable and tore out of there headed for a cool breeze and air conditioning=NOT. We get to the hotel and check in, take the bags up to the room and attempt to turn on the air conditioner=Nothing!! Evidentally.....they blew the whole thing out with all the guests running to the ocean to do the same thing we did.The air conditioning was on OVERLOAD to the MAX and NOT WORKING!!! Who'da thunk?! I guess this happened before-so think about that before you check into an ocean front hotel in Wa.! The hotel itself was very nice, but not equiped for a heat wave. The resturant there was also very good. The service was great also. This was a 10 on the resturant and a 5 on the hotel due to the air conditioning problems.

Room Tip: Check for air conditioning that works BEFORE you check in if it's summer. Go even if all you do...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Tomi p

We have had some amazing weather recently! Fortunately, we always have an ocean breeze that cools things off outside. So glad that you enjoyed the restaurant!

Reviewed June 10, 2013

I had read all of these reviews including the accusation of bed bugs before going to the resort only at the request of my mother as she loves the beach. I've had friends stay there and always have problems so wasn't surprised by the reviews and the actual experience. But I thought I would give it a chance since I love to stay in hotels and I can immediately critique them. It's true the resort has the nicest beach and views, but not so much that I would return at the inconvenience I experienced. The rooms are nice, linens, beds, bathrooms, k-cups, bottled water, bath salts, shampoos, etc. One item missing that I thought every hotel should have is a description of the property and maps, etc. We tried out the awesome salmon early bird dinner and breakfast but no where can you find these specials. You have to know about them or ask. Our first problem was not receiving housekeeping so I had to call and wait in my room while they did their thing. I only requested it because my sheets wouldn't stay on the bed. The 2nd day we experienced loud noises from the roof and therefore were moved. However, the front desk staff was very unprofessional when it comes to customer service, i.e., "well people come for the storms" and "well you choose to move", etc. That's not how hotel staff should treat a customer! Well we wanted some sleep so we moved, which is a huge inconvenience! No sooner had we got to our new room and realized that the toilet did not flush. It took 2 people to fix if again at our expense of changing plans and waiting for them. We were assured that it was fine. Obviously if a toilet doesn't work it's a huge problem for someone who has issues. And when they moved me they failed to keep me in a non-smoking room, so we were bothered from smoke coming from the main floor casino. The next morning the toilet again wouldn't work. Thus we're extremely frustrated at this point. I don't think that you could pay me to have to use my vacation time for taking care of their maintenance. And yes the walls, carpet, etc. are very shabby. Someone is not managing this property. I only stay at 3.5 star hotels and above and now I know why. You can not expect consistent quality here.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
5  Thank kashakoa
QuinaultBeach, Marketing at Quinault Beach Resort and Casino, responded to this reviewResponded June 14, 2013

We do appreciate your honesty, as it allows us to address the things that did not go well. I'm so sorry to hear that you had issues with the rooms, and I will be following up with Maintenance to see that we have fully resolved these.

I'm glad that you mentioned the Sunset Dinner and Olympic Breakfast specials, as they are our pride and joy! The fact that they are not visible anywhere is something that we hadn't noticed, as it is a long standing special. Thank you for bringing that to our attention - we'll be sure to get that back up!

Reviewed June 5, 2013

We enjoyed this place everyone was very helpful and friendly! The Bistro was good loved the indian tacos and shrimp & fries and their clam chowder. Clean and fun slots not a lot of slots but enough to have fun. We will go here again!

Room Tip: did not stay here, stayed in a condo on the beach but would consider staying next time.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you so much for your review! We are so glad that you had a good time, and look forward to having you as a guest in the hotel sometime soon.

Reviewed June 3, 2013

We stayed at the property over the Memorial Day weekend and really enjoyed ourselves. The room, king with ocean view, was a great size and value for the price especially over a holiday weekend. We got the 4th floor with a perfect view of the beach, but I would assume all floors get a great views as there are no obstructions. The amenities were high quality from the bath items to the Starbucks Keurig coffee maker and in room fridge. You are really close to downtown Ocean Shores and a scenic drive away from Pacific Beach state park and Seabrook.

The casino isn't the biggest in the land, but the staff is super friendly and we felt relaxed the whole time we were there and even enjoyed a couple nights of the free concert in the Lounge.

Overall, we would definitely stay again.

Room Tip: Definitely opt for the ocean view rooms and check for specials in the room rate list, or call for pr...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your comments! We appreciate your review and look forward to seeing you again soon. Our main goal is to provide a wonderful, relaxing getaway..and I'm so glad that you were able to do relax and enjoy! Do hurry back...

Reviewed June 1, 2013

The Quinault Beach Resort is the latest stop in my ongoing effort to visit every tribal property in Washington State and has many things to recommend it. The rooms are well-appointed and good sized. Gas fireplaces add a nice touch to rooms that are cozy, tastefully-decorated and uncluttered. Beds are a little soft for my taste but comfortable. Dual sinks are separate from the toilet/bathroom area is great for multiple persons simultaneously getting ready to begin the day or cleaning up before bed. A small refrigerator allows for keeping your beverages cold and a good-sized closet provides more than enough space to hang your clothes. Coffee service is delivered by Keurig coffee makers with the help of Starbucks coffee, complementary bottle water is provided in-room and the linens are top notch.

The lobby is comfortable with several chairs and sofas and includes a small Starbucks coffee bar and we enjoyed a nice salmon meal at Emily’s, the resort’s restaurant. The pool and spa are adequate and I haven’t experienced the spa.

The property’s location on the Pacific Ocean is its greatest draw! Miles of open beaches and associated activities make this a destination with something for everyone. And the nearby city of Ocean Shores offers many restaurants and shops.

On the downside, during the last remodel full-sized fully-opening windows have been replaced but a smaller window still provides for limited air circulation. And while Wi-Fi service is free, my traveling companion had to journey to the lobby to obtain a serviceable signal. His room was in the extreme north section of the top floor while mine was in the southern section and I had excellent access. I guess location is everything! And the 11:00 am checkout time (a personal pet peeve) is alive and well at Quinault Resort. The property is beginning to show its age: Numerous scuff marks in the halls and dings in the woodwork in the rooms need attention. You should skip the Weds night Prime Rib buffet, unremarkable compared to comparable buffets served at other tribal properties. Emily’s is a good alternative or sample other eateries in Ocean Shores instead.

The casino is quite smokey but offers the usual assortment of slot machines (sans true video poker and video keno) and table games with $3-$5 minimums and usual rules. Friendly personnel are in evidence in all areas of the property.

The shortcomings are minor and do not preclude from me giving the property at 5 star rating and ranking it at the very top of tribal properties visited thus far!

Room Tip: For you first visit, especially in clear weather, spring for an ocean view room. Also, the house lab...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank WilliTheKid

Thank you for your very thorough review! We appreciate you taking the time to let us, and other guests, know about your experience. We are dedicated to providing a great getaway for our guests, and your feedback is essential to improving daily!

Reviewed June 1, 2013

The hotel was nice enough. The room was comfortably sized with a modern decor. The hallways leading to our room seemed seriously beat up, lacking in maintenance. However, our disappointment was really concerning the food. We opted for the "buffet" sight unseen and expected it to be similar to what all of the other WA and OR casinos offered. Unfortunately, we paid for entrance outside of the conference room that was converted for the buffet use. It was $15.95 each. When we entered the room, we found folding tables covered with white linens. There were 3 rows of buffet food - 1 dedicated to deserts, 1 dedicated to carving station for a prime rib, and the last for all other options. The other options included a bowl of mixed greens for salad that appeared exactly like out of a bag, 3 dressing choices -- none of which were blue cheese. There were no sunflower seeds, cheese, or croutons, but there was a large bowl of sliced tomatoes. The main dish options were pork verde (my said was okay), a chicken in red sauce (Mexican flavored) but it was quite rubbery, the red roasted potatoes were dry, the rice pilaf (which was Spanish rice) was also dry. We didn't touch the tray of muscles, but saw many around us enjoying them. The deserts were a major disappointment. We left 3 things we tried uneaten -- an apple dumpling, a lemon bar, a chocolate brownie. Not good. The best thing can say about the buffet was the servers were pleasant. This is the last time I go to a buffet without a walk through first. We saw what appeared to be well prepared food in the bar/cafe, but didn't sample ourselves.

1  Thank Oceanteej

Thank you for sharing your thoughts, we do appreciate you taking the time to let us know about your experience! Our Prime Time Buffet is very popular, which is why we have begun serving this in the Great Hall. I will be sure to share your comments with our Food & Beverage Staff, to ensure that our high standards for food quality are being met consistently. I sincerely apologize that it was not on the night that you visited us!