“Helpful staff - rapidly aging facilities”

Shilo Inn Suites - Ocean Shores
Ranked #5 of 14 Hotels in Ocean Shores
Reviewed August 9, 2010

We just completed three nights here in a very gloomy August. My report is that the Shilo has great staff but cheaps out everywhere it can. Our room was spacious and recently updated. But we spent the first couple of hours calling housekeeping as we found we didn't have towels;or the chairs on the balcony were filthy; or we didn't have linen for the sofabed (having reserved for a child).

The public spaces of the hotel are just dirtyand badly in need of attention. If you walk down the hallway of its convention center, you'll note dents and scrapes from service vehicles.

When we were there (first full week of August) - the hot tub was broken. The sauna was broken. A disabled man visiting while we were there had specifically chosen the Shilo because it had a hot tub. He was very upset to learn it was broken.

They were breaking in a new computer system and it took 20 minutes to check in. They were training a new desk clerk and she was about in tears. The card key lock for the outside entrance on the north side broke down. The pool (remember, it was too cold to be on the beach) had a total of nine chairs. Everything was just cheap, cheap, cheap.

The restaurant was a decent value for breakfast and lunch. Again, the waitstaff were incredibly friendly and helpful. But, it took forever to get seated! One day, the hostess pleaded they were down one staff, though there were hardly twenty people eating at the time. The next day almost no one was eating and yet it took the host ten minutes to appear to seat us.

I enjoyed the room and the location on the beach. But the rest of the place is just run-down, outdated, and poorly maintained.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
3  Thank umbrellaman
oceanshoresmanager, General Manager at Shilo Inn Suites - Ocean Shores, responded to this reviewResponded August 17, 2010

“Helpful staff - rapidly aging facilities”
Shilo Inn Ocean Shores

umbrellaman 198 contributions
Upper Left Coast
Aug 9, 2010 | Trip type: Family

Dear Umbrellaman,

Thank you for taking the time to share your valued Shilo guest’s comments with TripAdvisor readers. I am delighted that you found our Shilo staff to be both attentive and friendly as well as our outstanding location on the beach. All of our guest rooms are junior suites with full balconies and great views of the Pacific Ocean and incredible sunsets. I apologize for the housekeeping oversights that greeted you when you first checked-in and I have spoken with our Executive Housekeeper about ongoing training with our new summer junior suite attendants. The public space that you mentioned down the hallway of our convention center should have been more thoroughly and immediately cleaned after our wedding party of 150 guests celebrated in those areas. They were very enthusiastic and energetic in their celebration of the new Bride and Groom. I am pleased to report that both the hot tub and sauna are back in order after new parts were received and installed. These two guest amenities were out of order just briefly and our Central Reservations were notified so that all of our valued Shilo guests would be aware of this situation. I’m sorry that you were not notified when you made your reservation. Shilo Inn is proud of its cleanliness and friendliness and we make every attempt at meeting or exceeding our guests’ expectations. The card key lock for the outside entrance on the north side has been fixed and new chairs have been ordered to alleviate the minimum chairs in the pool area. I have spoken with our Restaurant Manager regarding your comments concerning the time it took to seat you and she assures me that an emphasis will be made to have a host/hostess at the greeting station so that seating will not take as long as you experienced. We offer our Shilo guests “affordable excellence” with friendly and attentive Shilo team members in clean and well-maintained hotels. Umbrellaman, thank you for your valued comments and we continue to make improvements and work on our guest service ethics daily so that we may meet or exceed the expectations of all our valued Shilo guests whom we have the privilege of serving…Thank you…

Tim – Shilo Inn Suites Hotel – Ocean Shores Management

There are newer reviews for Shilo Inn Suites - Ocean Shores

Reviewed August 6, 2010

I tried to eat at the restaurant. There was a buffet, which I preferred not to eat at, but this was unacceptable to our waitress. Because I wished to order off of the menu, rather than just eat at the buffet, she was nothing but nasty and rude to me. She flung dirty silverware at me, from off of my plate. She tossed my plates hard onto the table, and gave me a nasty attitude the entire time. She brought me my hard boiled eggs in a dirty bowl with the shells still on. When I wrote a letter to complain about this treatment, I was informed by management that she was just being helpful, that I had misunderstood. That was the first and last time I ever ate at a Shilo, I have never stayed in one, and due to the fact that this is what is considered acceptable, and indeed, helpful; I will never, ever stay or eat at one again.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank marlo687
oceanshoresmanager, General Manager at Shilo Inn Suites - Ocean Shores, responded to this reviewResponded August 9, 2010

Dear marlo687,

Thank you for sharing your valued comments online with TripAdvisor. I sincerely apologize for the lack of Shilo service that you experienced…although it was an anomaly and not the outstanding service that our many thousands of satisfied Shilo guests have come to experience and enjoy. Shilo Inn Suites Hotel and Restaurants have an absolutely stellar and well deserved reputation for outstanding service, cleanliness, and friendliness. Shilo offers our guests both a wonderful menu as well as a delightful brunch buffet on Sunday’s for an affordable price. I apologize that I did not receive your letter of concern, as I would have responded in a proactive, kind, and courteous fashion to all of your concerns. We, here at Shilo Inn Suites Hotels and Restaurant do not consider this type of action or behavior acceptable. I have already asked our Restaurant Manager to investigate your observations and we will take appropriate actions where necessary…Thank you for sharing your valued comments with us here at Shilo Inn Suites Hotel-Ocean Shores through TripAdvisor. We look forward to you giving us another opportunity to being of service to you in both our restaurants and our clean and friendly hotels.

Cordially,

Tim, G.M. – Shilo Inn Suites Hotel and Restaurant

Reviewed August 2, 2010

Hubby and I stayed her for my 50th birthday weekend. Really liked all the t.v.'s & phones, although it goes without saying, the t.v.'s need an upgrade (and what is with the bathroom t.v. only getting about eight channels, HUH???) Probably the biggest minus was the bed--mattress TOO SOFT, hubby got up at 3 a.m. to sleep on the couch. (Pretty ironic, considering we have a too-soft mattress at home, and were looking forward to a FIRM mattress ;) ) We requested, and received, a late check-out (only an hour). Before that last hour was up, we had one phone call from the front desk, and two visits from housekeeping wondering if we were checking out soon. Requesting that late check-out was not worth the hassle we received. It left a bad impression upon check out. Despite that, we will probably stay here again. Room service was very fast (less than 20 minutes), accurate, and tasty. View from room was great, but the seagull poop was a minus--housekeeping needs to keep on top of this; once a day cleaning is definitely not enough.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple

Dear Jewelsgeo,

Happy 50th birthday from all of us here at Shilo Inn Suites Hotel – Ocean Shores…we thank you for celebrating your birthday with us here on the beach in Ocean Shores. We’re delighted to offer our Shilo guests three TV’s so that they will not miss any of their favorite programs as they leave different areas of their ocean view suites. I apologize that the mattress was not to your husbands liking although we have received numerous complements on the new pillow-top mattresses we offer our guests. I have spoken to both our front desk and our housekeeping teams about not “double” checking with our guests when they have asked for an extended late check-out. We are always pleased to offer a late check-out when available. We are delighted that you and your husband will stay again with and we will continue to work on being vigilant regarding the seagull remnants. We make our best effort to clean the hotel for our guests while coexisting with our seagull friends.

Again, Jewelsgeo, thank you for your valued comments.

Tim, G.M. Shilo Inn Suites Hotel

Reviewed July 29, 2010

Great experience! The room was very nice and the staff was great.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 27, 2010

Traveled with elderly relative. Attended wedding on the beach. Lovely hotel and staff. Very helpful and friendly. Good breakfast in the restaurant. Room quite comfortable and the sitting area ( with a 2nd TV) had a great view. Attractive decor throughout.

• Stayed: July 2010
Reviewed July 10, 2010

The Shilo is our favorite place to stay in Ocean Shores. The rooms and facilities are well maintained. The staff are friendly and helpful. A couple of special requests for our last visit were met with friendliness and without hesitation.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 18, 2010

Would like to have been able to stay longer, Loved tv in bathroom.

• Stayed: June 2010