“Not a pleasant experience.”

Shilo Inn Suites - Ocean Shores
Ranked #5 of 14 Hotels in Ocean Shores
seattle
“Not a pleasant experience.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2013 via mobile

Our room was supposed to be ocean view , double queen suite, was a view of bushes. The floors are thin as can be , we kept hearing loud stomping which woke us up several times during the night, went on for a bit ,then would stop and start again an hour or so later, so it was a horrible nights sleep. Needless to say , we would not ever consider staying there again.

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank islabound
Shilo I, General Manager at Shilo Inn Suites - Ocean Shores, responded to this review, August 1, 2013
Dear islabound,

Thank you for your comments, and please accept our apology that you did not get a room on one of the upper floors. We hope that you will give us another opportunity to keep you as a guest. I will personally make sure that you get the room you are hoping for.

Nikki Hoggan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (237)
Not Applicable
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2013

OVER SIX MONTHS IN ADVANCE You book a suite for your families 4th of July and receive a call that morning asking if you are showing up, otherwise they are giving your suite away! I told them they better not give my suite away! Pretty much had to put them in their place in order to keep my reservation! Then you go to check in and they do not put you on the floor you reserved and then they want you to sign the card for a higher rate per night then you booked in well in advance! Then they only give you the rate booked because you brought the print out of the reservation, with the booked rate, but remember that rate was for a different floor than we received! We could not sleep since they had us on a lower floor, which is not what we reserved, with people running all over the top floor at all hours of the night. Customer service is in the toilet for this place all the way around! Along with, they need to sued for False Advertisement for the rate change!

They don't even deserve 1 star, it's more like a negative 3!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Schaefer S
Dear SchaeferS,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. We are very concerned that our guests have a wonderful experience. Because July 4th weekend is such a busy one for us, we did call to confirm some reservations, but the intention was not to give away your suite, just to confirm your arrival. I am sorry that you were quoted a different rate at check in than you were told when you reserved. The person who checked you in was in training at that time and it had been a very busy day, so he may have been a bit confused, but I am glad that you were able to confirm the rate you were given. When we reserve, we don't confirm an actual floor at the time of reservation, and your reservation called for 3rd or 4th floor. I'm sorry that you were kept awake by the guests on the floor above you, people were up late due to the fireworks on the beach. We hope that you will stay with us again, and if you would like to further discuss your experience, please call me.

Olympia, Washington
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2013

This spring we planned a vacation at Ocean Shores Shilo Inn for the 4th of July to watch the fireworks. We booked a suite so that our family could watch the fireworks and small grandchildren could be put to bed early. We had two families travel 1000 miles for this holiday. When we attempted to check in on July 4th, the hotel told us that out reservation had been cancelled on July 1st. This was not our request, but the mistake of hotel staff. The hotel would do nothing for us. The town was booked and what rooms were found were three times the price. The only thing we received from the hotel was "sorry". Two families and 5 children under the age of 5 were stranded with no where to go. Even days after when I tried to get the hotel to compensate us for the vacation their staff ruined, we received nothing. The hotel general manager, Nikki Hoggans, wouldn't even talk to me. I send an e-mail to Shilo corporate and they didn't even reply. This hotel chain doesn't really care about you nor your vacation plans. If you are wanting to go to Ocean Shores on the 4th, right next door to the Shilo is a Quality Inn that has exceptional customer service. The view from the 2nd and 3rd floors is just as good as the Shilos and the rooms are less expensive. I will be going there in the future. No more Shilo Inns for me.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Stewart W
Shilo I, General Manager at Shilo Inn Suites - Ocean Shores, responded to this review, July 17, 2013
Dear Mr. Stewart W.,

Let me start by telling you how sorry I am that your reservation had been accidentally cancelled by our agent. She had taken the call from your son, who called to cancel his reservations with usand she mistakenly cancelled your reservation because of the same last name. When it was realized by our staff that your reservation had been mistakenly cancelled, we quickly found another room in town for you, which was actually less than your original reservation, and called you on your cell phone prior to your arrival to notify you. So in reality, your entire family did indeed have a place to stay that night.

We really do care about the comfort and safety of all of our guests, and we did our best to insure you and your family of a safe and comfortable July 4th Holiday. As a Hotel Chain Shilo takes great pride in our good reputation of always putting our guests first. We are sorry for your inconvenience, and we feel that after talking to your son he and the rest of the family were quite satisfied with the alternate accommodations. I would welcome the opportunity to speak with you further if you would like to contact me at your convenience and certainly hope you will give us another opportunity when your travels bring you to Ocean Shores.

2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2013 via mobile

I came for two days and just changed it to one. The room is dark and has a slightly unpleasant odor. It's a waterfront suite on top floor so I expected it to be nice. A wall separates window from sleeping area leaving most of room in darkness. I can't get rid of smell because it's too cold & windy to open door to balcony. And my grandson doesn't want to walk on beach because it's cold, far away and full of cars (it's ok to drive on beach here). So we're going home a day early to check into a posh downtown Seattle hotel to treat ourselves. On the plus side, the staff here are great.

• Stayed July 2013
Shilo I, General Manager at Shilo Inn Suites - Ocean Shores, responded to this review, July 8, 2013
Dear LesterGayle,

Thank you for your review of our resort hotel. I am sorry that you weren't happy with your hotel suite. Most of our guests are quite pleased with their Guest Suite. We are always willing to change you to another room as well if you aren't happy. If you visit us again I hope you will give us the chance to make things right with your accommodations. I am pleased that our staff made you feel welcome.

Bellevue, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2013

The two nights we spent in the expansive suites at the Shiloh Inn in Ocean Shores were wonderful. Restaurant staff and service was superb!! The hotel is overlooking the beach and the sunsets were amazing. Will definitely stay there next visit.

• Stayed June 2013
Wenatchee, WA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 27, 2013

As a senior couple, we felt well cared for with the safety items in the bathroom; enjoyed each having our own sink. Enjoyed being able to walk to nearby beach as my husband grew up near water & misses it. We would have hired a taxi or carriage to get around a bit more but did not see the opportunity. The coffee down in lobby was delicious & being Norwegian, I would have appreciated it being available all day instead of removed at noon. We enjoyed eating fresh seafood and all local sales people seemed very helpful & friendly. We would make the trip again.

Room Tip: Depending on your mobility ability, be a bit closer to elevator but not right next door either.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Olympia, Washington
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2013

Overall I found my stay at the Ocean Shores Shilo Inn to be adequate enough on most counts, but my first impression of the room (which was a nice suite with a king size bed, small balcony and living/dining areas) was marred by the fact that I was there on a working vacation. I work online and specifically asked when booking the room about the free wifi, which I was assured was available. Well, it is, sort of...
After getting my belongings unpacked I set up my laptop and logged in to the internet. Only nothing happened. I checked the connection various times and still nothing. I rebooted my laptop and still nothing. I found this quite odd, since I have stayed at various hotels over the years and have never had any difficulty connecting to the hotel wifi, so I called the front desk. I was informed that maintenance would look into it and get back with me. Eventually someone knocked on my door and I found a maintenance man, who, although was quite polite, was not up-to-date on what it takes to get wifi working in a hotel of this size. I showed him what was happening and after I rebooted my laptop yet again to no avail he suggested I walk down the street to McDonald's and see if I could connect to their wifi. If so, then come back and I should be able to connect with Shilo's wifi.
Connecting to their wifi wasn't the issue. I managed to connect each and every time. The problem was they had too weak a signal in their router to reach my room, which although it had a nice view from being at the end of the hotel overlooking the ocean, was unable to successfully receive a wifi signal sufficient to allow internet logon.
So I walked down to McDonald's and was able to connect to their wifi (no surprise there). I handled my work email, then went back to my room at Shilo where I was not able to connect. Again, no surprise there.
I finally went down to Ace Hardware and purchased a USB adapter in order to beef up the signal strength and use the available wifi.
The room was lovely and spacious, the bed comfy, but the wifi sucked big time. Had I not been able to resolve this issue on my own my stay at Ocean Shores would have been a wasted trip, since I did have to work while there and Shilo Inn's wifi was NOT going to allow me to do my job.
Everyone was polite, but they were not knowledgeable in resolving the issue. Move into the 21st Century, will you, Shilo Inn?

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Dear Jacob D,

Dear Jacob,

We are so sorry for your inconvenience when our wifi was not connecting properly with our server, due to an upgrade in our provider's equipment which they did not tell us about. Our staff tried everything they knew for several hours, to no avail. We finally called our Corporate IT person who called our provider and upgraded us so that we are able to receive wifi. It works perfectly now, and we hope that you will give us another chance to provide you with Shilo Inn's Affordable Excellence in the very near future.