“Charged for 'smoking in room' scam!”

Comfort Inn and Suites
Ranked #7 of 14 Hotels in Ocean Shores
Tacoma, WA
“Charged for 'smoking in room' scam!”
Reviewed July 7, 2011

I just stayed one night at this hotel on July 5th 2011, I have stayed here before and had no problems. This time was different, and I will never go back! I was quoted $159 for a king/jacuzzi/fireplace room with a view.

Upon going to our room we found dirty carpet, urine in our toilette, along with some toilette paper on the seat. We went down and spoke with Gary C. at the front desk and was told it was the water and just to, "flush it, I guarantee its just the water, it has some minerals in it right now." Well, no turns out that the water came back not the color of urine. 30 minutes later as I stepped into the shower there I noticed the walls were covered with long black hairs. Gross!!! I overlooked the dirty toilette, the debris all over the carpet, but the hair was the last straw.

In order to make up for our room they 'upgraded' us to a bigger room, which had a broken fireplace. We complained about this as well but were told "sorry!". What exactly was I paying for here?

Guess what? I also got charged $150 for smoking in the room which was completely false! I was never even told of this until I looked at my bank statement, and in fact it appears I was overcharged for the room, as it cost $204. Where did the extra $45 come from? I was yelled at by the person who claimed to be the manager, who first said they found an ashtray in the room and the front desk man smelled the room and agreed it stank she said. She then changed her story to there were cigarette butts in the garbage can, and said she smelled the room, the said she wasn't even there.

I was told by Comfort Inn corporate that the name the woman gave me was not the name of the manager they have listed. I am in the process of waiting to be contacted by corporate in regards to my complaint.

This place is also very loud. Like having no walls at all, which isn't a huge deal but if you want peace and quiet don't come here.

Room Tip: Beware of extra charges!
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
7 Thank glittergalaxie
OSComfortInn, General Manager at Comfort Inn and Suites, responded to this review, July 10, 2011
I am sorry your room experience was unpleasant. We do not charge a smoking fee unless clear evidence has been found in the room. The room rate plus tax and 15% is authorized on you card when you check in, $204 is not the actual charge you will be paying. If your bank does not release the difference within 10 business days please let us know so we can address this issue. I am sorry that Corporayte has mislead you , but Rondi Gentry is the Manager of this hotel, Corporate only has the General Manager listed. We do have a strict 10PM noise policy that when we are made aware of a disturbance, we strictly enforce. Thank you for the review and bringing such matters to our attention.

Christina Affinito
Comfort Inn & Suites

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
Reviewed July 4, 2011

My family and I stayed in a suite and had a wonderful time. The rooms were spacious, clean and very comfortable. They had great service and the town is beautiful...we enjoyed our stay and can't wait to come back....

• Stayed June 2011
1 Thank joylena33
OSComfortInn, Manager at Comfort Inn and Suites, responded to this review, July 10, 2011
Thank you for your review and I am pleased you enjoyed your time with us. I hope to see you in the future.

Rondi Gentry
Manager
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed June 20, 2011

I came here based on all of the positive reviews on tripadvisor and expedia. I thought this would be an amazing deal. Well, long story short I will not be staying here ever again. We were put on the 3rd floor and all night long we heard the people on the 4th floor, walking around, flushing their toliets, and talking. The walls are super thin, and you can hear everyone around you. Not good. Also, there is no AC in the hotel and the room that we were in did not have a screen on the window. The rooms are old, and it smells old. I felt as though there is an overwhelming smell of bleach in the room and the towels are very thin. I will not be going back. I would pay a little more next time for a better hotel, it's worth it when you are on vacation.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Mom2Al
I would like to apologize for the terrible experience you had at our hotel. We want every ones stay to be great. We have a strict 10 PM noise policy that if we are informed we will enforce. We do offer fans for those guests who request them, there are not many hotels in Ocean Shores that have A/C, but we do try to do whatever we can to make your room more comfortable for you. We are in the process of placing our screens back on all our window. We do have to remove them during the winter season because of the violent winds we experience. Thank you for letting us know how your stay with our hotel was, so that we may improve on our services.

Rondi Gentry
Manager
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed May 14, 2011

As I write this the morning after our stay, the sounds of kids jumping of beds fills the air. The floor/ceiling walls in this place are paper thin, and the employees know it. So why they would put a family with young kids on the fourth floor right above us (the place was probably half full), I don't know. We had to call to complain at 10pm because the kids were running around their room. At 7am, the kids were jumping around again. When I just spoke to the Manager to complain about the situation, I was offered 10% off our room. Seriously, we got very little sleep at the hotel, and you're going to offer us $8 for our trouble. This is our VACATION. When I said that the compensation didn't appear to be fair, she was less than sympathetic.

It's just so sad. This property has everything to be successful. A great location, and nice rooms with amenitities (although it is a bit odd that they don't have WIFI). How a hotel could be built with such paperthin ceilings, I don't know. How they could hire such incompetant jerks as employees is an even bigger mystery.

Tripadvisor has an "Add Pictures" feature. I wish they had an "Add Sounds" feature. I'd record the sounds I'm hearing right now through the ceiling on my iPhone and download them.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank truax78
OSComfortInn, Manager at Comfort Inn and Suites, responded to this review, May 25, 2011
I am truly sorry for any inconvenience you experienced while staying at our hotel. We enforce a strict quiet time policy from the hours of 10 PM to 7 AM. If brought to our attention we will maintain this policy and enforce it in any way possible. Thank you for bringing this to our attention as we strive to improve in any way possible
Fort Collins, Colorado
Reviewed October 12, 2010

My wife and I spent 6 wonderful days at Comfort Inn in Ocean Shores, WA. The room was immaculate, the staff was so polite, friendly, and happy. We really enjoyed the great view of the ocean, the warm inviting fireplace, the large, in-room hot tub, and tasty breakfasts.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Montana1948
OSComfortInn, Public Relations Manager at Comfort Inn and Suites, responded to this review, October 9, 2012
Seattle
Reviewed October 11, 2010

I have stayed here several times with no problems. The beds are soft enough, the decor and atmosphere are nice. I always have a relaxing time here!! They have a pretty good breakfast in the lobby, along with a Starbucks. The doors do shut pretty loudly when closed, so this might be a problem for some people. This is one of the nicer hotels in town.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank mike1972Seattle
Spokane
Reviewed September 27, 2010

With many choices at Ocean Shores, I called a few motels first. Hadn't been to Ocean Shores in thirty years and I knew it had changed. Person I spoke with here was helpful, cheerful and polite. So was the manger who greeted us. The room was immaculate, great view of ocean, comfortable beds (we were on the second floor, two queen beds). Beds were comfortable and no bedbugs (I had never encountered bed bugs in ANY coast motel over the years and was suspicious of that charge). Did not try the fan as the room was comfortable with the deck door slightly open. Shower and bathroom were pristine. Pillows on the bed were the smaller, square variety but that was no problem. I plan to do an extended stay very soon with my wife (this trip was with a colleague for business).

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business