“Better than expected”

Ranked #12 of 14 Hotels in Ocean Shores
Seattle, Washington
“Better than expected”
Reviewed February 18, 2014

I was kinda concerned about this hotel because of all of those crappy reviews,
FYI, I booked One-Bedroom Suite Two Queen Beds.
bed was comfy, everything else was above my expectation.
close to beach too, but location did not matter since we could just drive through shoreline.
nothing special, but comfy bed and clean room!

Room Tip: Choose One-Bedroom Suite Two Queen Beds!
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank JMoneyKR

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (122)
Abbotsford, Canada
Reviewed February 10, 2014 via mobile

Our family stayed in a cute 2 bedroom suite. The accommodations were clean. The staff at the front desk could have been a lot more helpful. I found them to be lazy and not have much knowledge of the area. Not eager to go out of their way to help you.

Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Jennifer M
Everett, Washington
Reviewed January 27, 2014

My trip over to Ocean Shores was a spur-of-the-moment weekend trip. I wasn't exactly sure where I was going to end up, or even if I would stay the night in Ocean Shores. It was one of those trips I tended to advise against when I was a travel agent. After all, what if everywhere was full or the prices were higher than imagined?

Well, after getting lost on a dirt road in southwest Washington on my way to an out-of-the-way bar a read about but turned out to be closed for the day, the waning sunlight told me that continuing on around the Olympic Peninsula was not a good idea. So, I stopped in Ocean Shores, which was a waypoint I had planned anyway.

I found the Ocean Shores Inn & Suites in a quick search, but I wanted to check out other options, since I didn't know Ocean Shores well. Apparently, there was a bit pirate event in town, and it was a nice (though cold) weekend out there, so a lot of properties on the lower end of the rate scale were sold out. Actually, a lot of places were sold out. So, I revisited my initial search and got a room here.

The property is very close to the beach; not on it, but an easy walk. It's on the main street in town, so it's closer to restaurants, shops, etc.

However, the property could really use some upgrades and a little TLC. The room I was in, which was in a one-story section on the north side of the property, was a bit shabby. The beds were fairly comfortable and seemed clean, but the carpet was old. The bathroom was oddly shaped -- very long and narrow. There was a broken window in the bathroom; the outside pane was broken but the inside was not, though it's disappointing to look at the window and see the break.

There wasn't a lot in the way of lighting in the room and what it had was rather ineffective. There was a mini-fridge which worked, and a microwave.

I don't know if was just the fact that my room had a quasi-connecting door (and I say quasi because it was blocked by a table), but I heard everything next door.

What this property probably has going for it is the fact that it is oriented to families; there are units that have full kitchens so if a family were to stay here for a beachside holiday, it would be very convenient. There is a lounge and meeting area, so during the high summer season, I'm sure this place is hoppin'.

But the property itself needs some scrubbing and sprucing up. It's just old and run down.

However, the staff I came in contact with were very good, friendly, and quite helpful.

For one night, it was serviceable, but for a longer stay, I would probably look elsewhere.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
6 Thank fly14wta

Travelers are raving about these Ocean Shores hotels

White Rock, Canada
Reviewed January 4, 2014

The great staff, decent TV and heater/fireplace were the only redeeming features of our stay at this location. The members were very responsive to our requests - trouble is we needed them far too many times in our 2 night stay.
Drawbacks:
The non-smoking room smelled of smoke or something unpleasant. The couch, and chair cushions at the table were so bad we sunk almost down to our chins. The kitchenette was way less than desirable: coffee pot didn't work; stove elements only worked on high and set off the smoke alarm when turned on; no kettle; broken/missing tile in front of the sink; only one fork in the utensil drawer; no wine glasses, mixing bowls etc; fridge door opened toward the wall; horrible, mismatched old dishes. The only mirror in the whole place was in the bathroom.
The curtains closed, but with lights on all night right outside the window the bedroom could not be darkened.
The overall electric lighting was terrible.
The key card would not work most of the time and we had to be told by maintenance how to properly close the door so it would.
The entrance door moulding was crumbling on the inside.
Pluses:
The space was good and well- laid out.
The bedroom was adequate with a decent king bed, dresser and closet space, but no mirror.
The bathroom was also adequate but mold was evident on the tub tile. Good shower.
The electric heater fireplace with fan.
Great sized patio if one was staying there in the summer.

I would not recommend this place to anyone I cared about. Even though we had a good deal, it was so out-dated and tacky it was not worth the little $$$$ we paid - $88.00 for 2 nights at the beginning of Jan. We will not be back to this hotel.

Room Tip: If you decide to stay here, avoid room 207.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Nautigirl246
Washington State
Reviewed December 30, 2013 via mobile

A little dated but very clean. Super friendly staff. Love the indoor heated pool and central location. You can't really beat their seasonal specials. We are staying here for $69 a night! It is a 2 story condo set up with 3 queens. Kitchenette and 2 full baths. Love love love this place.

• Stayed December 2013
2 Thank LightningRod74
Ocean S, General Manager at Ocean Shores Inn & Suites, responded to this review, July 23, 2014
Thank you for the positive feedback. We are in the process of updating our units. We hope you keep coming back to see the upgrades as they happen. Thanks again!
Blaine, Washington
Reviewed December 19, 2013

I read the reviews. I always keep an open mind about staying at a new place. This place however needs to review the customer reviews.
We got this 2 night suite with a bottle of wine (Oak Leaf-- the stuff you get at the gas station for $3.99) for 99$ through a deal saver. When we got there, they were advertsing their rates for 49$ a night. Which was only $1 cheaper then what we paid, but we truly thought we were getting a deal.

Pros:
Location was perfect.
The girl at the front desk (Sarah I think) was very friendly!!!
Room size was great.
Bathtub size was great.
Kitchette* was great.
The bed** was VERY comfortable. We both slept great!

Cons:
Smoke alarm did not work, I had to go get a replacement battery.
No curtain in living room/ bedroom window.- This would have been ok if the roof was right there and the access for someone to get up there and look through the windows would have been very easy.
* The Fridge. Ohhhh Myyyy Wooorrdd! I am convinced that I got the King Suite Studio room that the other guy talked about. The fridge ran and ran and ran. We brought our food from home as to save money on this mini trip. We put our food in the fridge, along with the left over pizza we had that night. (First night there) The next morning we woke up to a huge amount of water on the kitchen floor and then we opened the fridge. The pizza box was completely full of water. We had to drain the water out and throw the soggy pizza away. Which was a bummer because we were going to have that for lunch left overs. The bottom shelf in the fridge had turned into a large chunk of ice. The rest of our food was pretty much damaged. I was not about to rinse off and eat the water soaked veggies.

The smell. WOW. I don't know if this used to be a pet or smoking room or maybe it's just the stale left over food smell. It was horrible. We opened up the bathroom window and the front door to let it air out a bit. However, I had to wash all of our clothes twice to get the smell out when we got home.

**The bed. While above I mentioned how comfy it was, it was filthy. There were long black hairs all over the pillow cases, we pulled back the comforter and the sheets were tinged yellow. Most hotels you can smell the soap and bleach on the sheets/pillow cases. Not in the room we had. Lucky for us we brought our own pillows and sleeping bags to throw over the top.

The floor lamp in the corner was missing screws and almost fell apart when we turned it on.

The dining room table and chairs were ok, but the one chair was stained very bad and when you sat in it, it wiggled like the screws were very loose.

The TV-- I read another review from someone from a month or two befor my stay. The first thing the girl told me when we got there was "We have been having issues with our tv's" I silently laughed in my head. The stations were hit and miss. One minute you would get channel 32 but 5 minutes later it would be gone. None of the local (4/5/7/13) channels worked the whole time we were there.

I think that there are permanent residents at this hotel also. Our neighbors had patio chairs and we did not. They also had an ashtray that was over flowed the whole time we were there.

As you may have read in my other reviews I am not opposed to stay in a "dive" type place, but this was gross. Will we stay here again? I doubt it. Like I said the employees were very nice. I don't think I could handle the smell or the fridge again.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to give us feedback on our hotel. We are updating our property more and more all the time. The fridge has since been replaced, we no longer allow smoking on the walkways, the t.v channels are all up and running now, and we have started installing bamboo flooring starting with the bottom floor. I hope you come back and give us another try and see all of our updates.
Tacoma, Washington
Reviewed December 2, 2013

We had a wonderful time on our trip to Ocean shores. Saw deer out our window. It was very comfortable. We had a view of the shores, saw people walking and flying kites. Near good restaurants and close to the casino. Beautiful drives. Customer Service was excellent. We will be back.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Thank you for the kind words. We look forward to having you as our guest again.