“Worst motel ever”

Ocean Shores Inn & Suites
Ranked #13 of 14 Hotels in Ocean Shores
Reviewed August 14, 2013

worst room ever, room smelled as soon as you enter. The walls are so thin we had to turn up TV all night to drown out other rooms around us. Bed was 30+years old my wife and I woke up with stiff backs. You could feel every spring in the mattress. Sheets smelled like bleach.
When I told the front desk the next moring they had no appologies and showed no emotion. I asked for a refund for my 2nd night and was told no due to a 48hr cancellation policy.

Room Tip: found other hotels for only $10-30 more including 1 bedroom condos.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank rapeter

Reviewed August 12, 2013

We can here for our 1st wedding anniversary ... stayed 3 nights... We read a BUNCH of reviews but money being tight, we HOPED it would be ok. I asked the receptionist if the room we had was a newly renovated or old dirty room, she said she would consider it nice. didnt really answer my question.. but i think it's been half renovated. so, when we first walked in it smelled musty. The room was moist feeling. I even joked with my husband that i was going to get pneumonia from the moisture in the air. We had to open all the windows and even left the door open for a while. The top of our bed had sand on it, you could feel it.. and the bed itself is at an angle, so your head is lower than your feet.. we ended up switching to the foot of the bed off and on throughout the trip. We Ordered pizza from Dugans (Pretty good pizza and only $2 to deliver? yes please! after the LONG drive here).. the walls are truly thin, we can hear kids jumping and playing, you can hear them in the pool cuz we are in the courtyard area the pool is 50ft. away..OH and the people that are upstairs always sound like they're stomping their feet! There is no air flow in the room at all, unless you want heat which WHY would I want heat in August?! .. There are windows to open and luckily 2 of our 3 windows had screens! ... theres no vent in the bathroom so showers make it very moist in the room. NO hair dryers still, but i know a read a review where the hotel had wrote back that they were getting them.. but still not here. the tv is awful you get about 10 channels of which are horrible quality.. no phone, no alarm clock, the water heater was in the closet of our room, is that even safe?.. we DID have a mini fridge and keurig. the receptionist told us that to get clean towels you have to bring them your old/dirty ones and they'll exchange them for clean. go ask for new toilet paper etc. at about 6:30am people start waking up and they talk on their phone, RIGHT OUTSIDE YOUR WINDOW which i understand go outside so you dont wake the rest of your family, but that doesnt mean stand next to your neighbors window that is obviously WIDE OPEN cuz the rooms are stuffy as hell and scream and laugh into the phone with your buddy. overall, i WOULDNT stay here again UNLESS i had a bigger room with some sort of ventilation other than a window that may or may not have a screen...

Room Tip: don't stay here! pay the extra money to go down the road to guesthouse inn or shilo! well worth...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank StacyMAdams
Reviewed August 7, 2013

We stayed here two nights on a Groupon Deal. After reading the reviews, I was a little bit wary. I need not have worried. The front desk folks were very friendly and helpful. It is an older building getting some much needed attention. Grounds are nice. We had a studio room on the courtyard, 2nd floor, our friends had a one bedroom right behind us. Carpet and flooring was new, paint fresh. Bedding was new. Sheets VERY soft Egyptian cotton, and the bed was comfy. They are obviously getting things fixed up. The room had a Keurig coffee maker, and they were very generous at the desk if you needed more coffee pods. There was a fridge and a stove, pots, dishes, silverware. Bring your own hairdryer, though. They don't do daily maid service, which was fine with me; we were only staying 2 nights. Shower water was nice and hot. I brought some breakfast muffins and cream for coffee, to start the day. We walked to the IGA for snacks and OJ, and to The Galway Bay Pub for an early dinner one night. The second night we walked to the Mariah, just across the street. The beach is a bit of a hike, but it is for all the hotels. We didn't use the outdoor pool but lots of people who were staying there did. It looked like a good place for families. The place was full, but it was very quiet at night. The wifi worked fine. I would suggest they add hair dryers (pretty much standard everywhere now) and an end table or small coffee table. There was no place to set down a drink if you were on the couch or chair. Overall, great deal, like renting a condo for a motel price.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank sullydk
Reviewed August 6, 2013

We went here last March using a groupon or Amazon local deal. This place is the old Gitchee Gummee. Needs lots of upgrading. Furniture sad. But everything was very clean. Our room was on the street side. A bit noisy, at least the bedroom was on the inner courtyard side. With this deal we got what we paid for. Wouldn't have paid more.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 31, 2013

I don't really want to say anything bad about this place but my family probably will not stay here again. We must have had one of the older rooms on the property but hey for $60 a night you cant really complain. It had the "smell" too when entering the room (we had to turn the heaters on full blast and open all the windows).and we also had the ugly green carpet in ours. The beds were old and run down. They had thin blankets and 2 pillows only on each queen bed.

The good thing about this place is that the grounds were really nice and pretty. The staff was helpful and friendly. There is an indoor and outdoor pool. The room we had also had a full kitchen with dishes and a fridge so that was good.

Room Tip: Ask for a new room if you can.
Reviewed July 29, 2013

Stayed here last year for Sun &Surf, and enjoyed it so thought we'd give it another go! They actually upgraded us (without us asking) to a 2br suite ,which was like a HUGE apartment! Full living room and kitchen upstairs! Yes, the layout is a bit weird (front door thru one of the bedrooms...) and the building layout is a maze of sorts.....but it was fun! ;-) we discovered the indoor pool which we didn't even know they had too. So indoor / outdoor pools, both very heated. You could see steam rising! ;-)

To be honest...it's not a "nice" hotel, but I gotta tell you, for what it is, it's VERY clean and the staff is very friendly. You really can't go wrong ,especially for the price. Forget high end hotels in Ocean Shores..the beach is really too far anyway......you have to walk a long ways to get to it no matter where you stay! ;-)

Room Tip: Get a suite!
Reviewed July 24, 2013

I bought a Groupon for $105 for 2 nights. When I called to make the reservation, I asked about the bad reviews and was told that they have renovated rooms with new beds and bedding so I requested one of them. I didn't expect luxury at this price, but I certainly didn't expect such a run down property either. My 12 year old daughter and I opened the door to our room and were immediately hit with THE SMELL! Upon entering, we were greeted with gross blue carpet, sagging, springy beds, old sagging furniture and a different smell of wet dog. Popcorn ceilings which looked like someone threw up on them and a sliding glass door to the balcony which I could't re-lock. We went back to the office and were told there were no others rooms available. They had no comment about my original request for a renovated room and asked if I wanted a stick for the slider! I said yes and we went out for the evening. When we came back, I called the office because we still didn't have the stick. I wanted to feel safe while my daughter and I slept. The office sent up a man with a broom handle. This man had his butt crack hanging out of his pants and gave us quite an awful show as he tried to get the door locked for us! The next day, I asked why we didn't have maid service and was told they don't do daily service! So not enough toilet paper or towels or coffee packets for 2 days. This place was horrible and I recommend staying away! Even if there are "renovated" rooms, which I never saw, the whole place is old and run down.

Room Tip: Find a different place to stay
1  Thank SherryLucas