“Very Dirty and Unkempt”

Ocean Shores Inn & Suites
Ranked #13 of 14 Hotels in Ocean Shores
Reviewed September 23, 2012

This was our first (and last) time staying at this "hotel." We paid a bargain of a price, but it was definitely a situation where we got what we paid for. Upon entering the lobby, there was a strong smell of mildew (which, upon checkout, was replaced by a strong smell of vinegar.)

Our room was a small studio, which is what we paid for, but was overrun by crane flies and moths right outside the door, so much that we had to run in and quickly slam the door behind us not to be attacked. Upon entering, we first noticed that there was only a bed, two small nightstands and an entertainment center. There was no table or chair to set our things on. The toilet ran incessantly and everything in the bathroom was water and soap scum stained. I found at least 4 long black hairs on the towels, which all had some kind of stain on each of them.

Upon removing the top comforter of the bed, I found a worn out sheet that had white, crusty splotches on it. It was not paint. There was no air conditioning and the room was stuffy and smelled musty and as if someone was just in there, hanging out with their body smell.

Later in the evening, I went to bathe my 13 month old son in the bathtub. I ran the water and went to get him, only to come back to brown water in the tub. My husband went to the lobby to warm my son's bottle and to tell them and they apologized and said that the water heater goes out from time to time, and that they would upgrade us. Um, good. They followed their resolution with a plea for a "good review on Yelp." Man, you don't know who you're dealing with...

The next room was large, had a living area, a kitchenette and two bathrooms. Again, there was absolutely no care in cleaning the surfaces of the bathroom (gross) and there was a HUGE glob of brown hair just chillin' in the drain of the one of the showers. Sickening food smells wafted into our room from outside, but the stuffiness of the room required that at least one door be open. The other door was missing a screen, so we had no choice.

i have stayed in a lot of hotels and motels, from travelling for business, to hunting for a quick night's sleep on road trips. I am somewhat forgiving in my expectations, especially when I get a bargain of a price, but was by far the most disgusting experience I have ever had. The staff was pleasant and there was much care in the external aesthetics of the establishment, but this hotel needs a LOT of work before it's even considered acceptable to stay in.

Room Tip: Don't stay here.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank Emily M
oceanshoresinn, Manager at Ocean Shores Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded September 25, 2012

We are sorry our service didn't meet your expectations. Our goal is to make each guests stay as enjoyable as we can. That's why when your husband came to the lobby and told me about the water I upgraded you to a 1 bedroom suite.
i went up and checked the water that night and the water was both hot and clear. I don't know what happened earlier but we are sorry for the inconvenience.
We have a team of highly trained housekeepers here and they clean and sanitize each bathroom from top to bottom. If I would of known of your displeasure I would have done everything I could to fix it.
As for the A/C, the average temperature here in Ocean Shores in mid to upper 60's and always has a nice ocean breeze.
The hotel is under new ownership and we are currently in the process of upgrading each room. Maybe you can give us another try in the future. Thank you for taking the time to write this review and giving us the chance to respond. We try our hardest to make every ones stay here the best we can.

There are newer reviews for Ocean Shores Inn & Suites

Reviewed September 10, 2012

Very pleasantly surprised by the warm welcome and cordial service. Complimentary upgrade was great. They are nice folks. The room was spacious and clean. Definitely will go back. Location is within walking distance of everything downtown.

Room Tip: Get a Kitchen...check out the two heated pools ! Surprise: the meeting and function rooms are beauti...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Daniel S
oceanshoresinn, Manager at Ocean Shores Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded September 26, 2012

Thank you so much for the review!! We hope you come see us again!!!

Reviewed September 4, 2012

Do not stay here. The management is disorganized, the customer service is spotty at best, the rooms are not what I would call clean in any way, the furnishings are shabby. It took 3 attempts to even get into a room - #1 had no faucets in the bathroom - just a hole in the wall - and they actually tried to check us into this room! #2 had a door that would not lock - terribly unsafe - and they told us just to put a chair there and use the back door. Totally unacceptable! #3 was just ok - a small room with a bed -no actual bedding, just a "duvet cover" made from sheets - small table, 2 chairs, and mini kitchen. No sitting area as stated when we booked - we were to have a sofa sleeper and sitting area. Spent the trip sitting on the bed. The toilet was behind the bathroom door so you could not open the door all the way. We were terribly unhappy here and would not recommend it to anyone, at any price. STAY AWAY!

Room Tip: Choose another hotel - not one here!
2  Thank Teri F

I am so sorry to her that you had a bad experience. Guest service is one of our highest priorities, so we are taking this very seriously and following up with our employees. Thank you for taking the time to write this review.

Reviewed August 27, 2012

Heres the good - We were upgraded to a 1 bedroom suite which was great I saw the studio and it would not have been pleasant since it faces the road - Kitchen - fireplace - 2 Tvs - coffee and the popcorn that the maid leaves is a very nice touch sometimes it is the smallest things that stick in your mind

Room Tip: Stay on the backside of the hotel
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you so much for the kind comments! We appreciate your time, and I'm so glad you found Ocean Shores Inn and suites a great place to stay!

Reviewed August 19, 2012

First of all there is no WiFi. The maintenance man stated that one kid watching a film is all the system can handle. They have maid service after a three day stay. The sheet on the bed was ripped as was the couch. No dishwasher and you much wash your own dishes. Various items did not work. Smokers everywhere and I saw the women next door walk out of her room carrying a cigarette. If you have lots of kids then this may be the place for you as they have suites. If they would have kept of the maintenance up all these years it could have been nice but it has been poorly managed.

Room Tip: Get at least a 1 BR suite so at least you will have a little more space and in the summer expect ton...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family

We appreciate you taking the time to let us know about your experience, so we can fix it. We would love to have you back to see how we are doing. We are under new ownership and in the process of making lots of upgrades.

Reviewed August 15, 2012

Can't really say much positive or negative about this place. We showed up on a weekend that was packed so it was a little noisy but for the price I was happy. Good location and the rooms were clean. Gave me a nice spot to stash my motorcycle overnight.

1  Thank kenr74
Reviewed August 13, 2012

I stayed here for a week for a terrific weekly rate. My studio with kitchenette was clean and comfortable. Given the price I paid, I was really impressed with how nice it was. The location was terrific (I don't have a car). A couple of minutes walk to the ocean. I walked to the grocery store for food to prepare in the kitchenette and saved a lot of money, but lots of places to eat nearby. One block from moped rentals, kite shop, etc. They have bikers to rent. Heated pool (you don't want to swim in the ocean). Super friendly staff.

Room Tip: Room #313 was very nice. I faced the pool, but was not bothered by noise at any time.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo