“Pros and Cons, Mostly . . . almost all Cons.”

Ocean Shores Inn & Suites
Ranked #12 of 14 Hotels in Ocean Shores
Reviewed August 24, 2011

King - one bedroom with kitchen. Golf course view. 2 Adults, 1 child, 1 infant. 3 nights.
Pros:
In town Ocean Shores, Not far from beach, Room more spacious than expected, 2 bathrooms, elevator, least expensive suite with kitchen room we could find in town, popcorn bowl with microwave popcorn and a couple snack bags of chips. Front desk people were nice.
Cons:
Cleanliness - Very dirty, room not vacuumed or cleaned, hair still in both bathtubs, soap scum in bath tubs from previous baths, (I know it was not cleaned because there were feet prints, crumbs, sand and no vacuum lines, and the soap scum I could wipe away with my hands, the sliding glass door sticky spots and smear marks all over it. Sheets on sofa bed were dirty.
Kitchen-(Bare Bones)-Oven but no baking dishes, Very cheep cookware, silverware and dishes. (Bring your own if you don't want to burn your food) Refrigerator made loud rattle sound. (Made it hard to put kids to bed.)
Beds-
King bed- They put an old queen blanket that was fraying on the edges on it and queen mattress cover. (Kept coming off and bunching up) Bed was FIRM and old, and squeaky.
Sofa bed- Very Old Sofa bed couch. The back had staple sticking out (which I found after it had stabbed me badly) Pull out mattress was very thin and stained, had dirty sheets on it. (Daughter (8 y.o.) ended up sleeping on couch cushions because it was uncomfortable.)
Bathrooms-Shower was WAY too low. I'm only 5' 3" and had to bend down to get my hair wet and wash it. (I have a bad back and that was NOT a pleasant experience!) Vent fans sound like airplanes taking off.
Pool was not heated that we could tell. (I have a above ground pool at home that is warmer and it does not have a heater.)
Noises were not to bad till the last night we were there. There was a group of kids playing in the walk ways and making lots noise from 11 till past 1 pm. Woke us up a number of times. Also whoever checked in upstairs was a very heavy footed person!
No DVD Player, TV in Living room had no places to plug anything in to it.
Did not like the parking.
Over all- NEEDS - updated furnishings, better quality kitchen supplies and more of them like can opener and cheese graters, baking utensils and baking-ware, comfier beds, Much better house keeping staff, cleaning supplies in the rooms, real heated pool, Taller showers. Better parking.

Room Tip: Dont stay here if you didn't like my cons.
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
oceanshoresinn, Manager at Ocean Shores Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded August 29, 2011

We have so many positive experiences here, and are surprised to learn of this. It's odd when we get a poor review, and try to keep a wonderful place for guests to come and enjoy. We have comfortable accomodations, spacious, and we offer the best value to be found in town. If we ever hear of any complaint, we always rectify the situation. No, we don't offer DVD players and no, we don't have oven utensils, but we havecookware and silverware, so a family can enjoy cooking here. We don't over-promise, and we do our best to please. Our normal price for a one-bedroom unit with living room and kitchen is normally lower than the neighboring hotels that offer studio accomodations. Most of our guests have a super positive experience. We certainly will take this review seriously and strive to be the #1 place in Ocean Shores, offering the best value and accomodations.

Reviewed August 22, 2011

My family and I had a 3 day vacation planned for ocean shores and the reservation was made on their website. The Manager called and stated they had a glitch and that they would not honor the price we had payed for the room, stated we needed to pay 3 times the amount quoted and was rude about the situation!

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank kenworthy67
Reviewed August 13, 2011

When my husband said to find an inexpensive place to stay at Ocean Shores for a couple of days I was pleased to find the Ocean Shores Inn and Suites. The price was perfect, especialy for a one bedroom unit with a kitchen. I was a little apprehensive about the condition, but figured for the price , " you get what you pay for." What a pleasant surprise we had. The room was great, very clean and supplied with everything we needed. The staff was very friendly. They are definately anxious to please!

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 28, 2011

Very disappointing. My first impression when I arrived at reception, the area surrounding reception appeared to be clean and tidy. I was checked in by the Manager who was friendly and helpful. Our group occupied two rooms. We arrived at our rooms, first cursory look didnt look bad, but soon to see that the unit didnt appear to be very clean at all. All the surfaces in the bathroom didnt look clean and some areas even looked and felt dusty as if hadn't either been cleaned or not at all. However very early on we discovered that the Wifi in our room was not working well. I went to check with the Manager and without fuss he put us into another unit. I thought hopefully, at the time the quality and cleanliness of the next unit would be better, but it was worse. It had a terrible odor, the carpets were stained, a lot of the walls were dirty and looked like they had never been cleaned, stains on the settee and to top it all off one off the pillow slips had slipped off part of a pillow, which exposed a terribly stained pillow. Also the blanket on our bed looked stained. Either Management dont do regular checks on their cleaners to see if they are doing a good job or they just dont care. Couldnt wait to get out of the place.

• Stayed: July 2011
oceanshoresinn, Front Office Manager at Ocean Shores Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded August 1, 2011

We get so many positive reviews it's sometimes hard to tell what makes a customer angry. We advertise them as condo style hotel rooms, at lower than hotel prices. We pride ourselves on offering spacious family style accommodations. When you see all the families that come here, the children that are smiling and happy, and the couples that are having a delightful time, you know we are doing something right. All the rooms are thoroughly cleaned on a regular basis. Our rooms were painted less than a year ago, so this is a quite surprising complaint. Sometimes we take a hard stand on people who break the rules, bring pets in non-pet rooms, or smoke in non-smoking rooms, and these people are usually the ones who bash us with a bad review. But we take all complaints seriously, and we will be more careful to check the rooms after they are cleaned. We want all our guests to enjoy their stay at Ocean Shores Inn & Suites.

Reviewed July 28, 2011

I was traveling with my elderly mother and stayed one night in a handicapped access room, which my mom didn't like too much because of the room design, although it was very clean, comfortable and fresh looking. The paint colors were great and everything seemed like new - I especially liked the new bedcover/white sheet/duvet look (rather than the old polyester bedspreads that remain on the bed for weeks between washings) because it looks fresh and can easily be removed and laundered.

We asked for a different room for the 2nd night and were placed in a "1 bdrm suite" room at a reduced rate, which was very comfortable and roomy. This room had also been painted to freshen it up and was very clean but it had a somewhat strange odor that must have come from the carpeting or old draperies on the large sliding glass door. Overall, this was a great stay for us because of the friendly and accommodating motel staff and the easy access to the beach and some decent restaurants. My real only complaints were the unpleasant odor in the 2nd room and spotty internet access/weak wi-fi signal that required me to go down to the office area and sit to check my mail and get information for later in our trip.

I understand the place has been remodeled and updated recently and I think they did a fantastic job inside and out - we didn't use the outdoor pool, but it looked inviting and was used by many others. There may still be a few "old" elements that need to be changed out or removed (i.e old carpeting/draperies) to really make everything look and smell brand new, but the staff sure works hard to please its customers.

Reviewed July 26, 2011

We stayed in room/suite 107 this fourth of july weekend @ The Ocean Shores Inn & Suites and we had a great time. We were glad to be going to Ocean shores for the 4th Of July party but a little scared of what we would find with the accomodations as many of Ocean Shores hotels have been let go (not in great condition). The Ocean Shores Inn and Suites were a pleasent suprise! They were clean, spacious and very accomodating for our family. The pool, breakfast room and other facilities were clean and in nice condition. The staff were very helpfull and friendly (we used a lot of towels with kids in the pool) the brought us new ones with a smile. This trip was a lot of fun (you cant beat Ocean Shores fior the 4th of July and the Ocean Shores Inn & Suites helped make it a great trip and a place the family will want to come back to again. Four stars from us!

Reviewed July 23, 2011

The staff were pleasant and helpful. The fridge in our room was leaking and was replaced the next day with a brand new fridge. The motel is tired and dated. Cleanliness was average. No can opener, no coffee.

I visited Ocean Shores about 20 years ago. I felt then that it was on the verge of becoming something special. Our visit this week left me feeling exactly the same way. It just is not able to get over the edge and become a popular and beautiful place to live and visit. You can drive your car onto the beach which is not necessarily a good thing since we weren't able to let our toddler run around for fear of being hit by a car! You can ride horses on the beach but have to be with a guide and the horses were only allowed to walk. There is no sidewalk down the main street which made walking with the baby in the stroller rather dangerous. My expectations of Ocean Shores were not met this visit.

1  Thank Juliet011