“Grey Gull was Great!”
Review of Grey Gull

Grey Gull
Ranked #2 of 14 Hotels in Ocean Shores
Reviewed September 2, 2007

The Grey Gull is a fine property with all the amenities needed for a great mini get away. I stayed there with 2 of my kids this past week and we enjoyed what we found. The room was comfortable and roomy enough for all of us. The view of the beach dunes and ocean beyond was lovely. We used the kitchen for snack storage mainly, but I did enjoy making coffee every morning before we ventured out.

I found it to be quiet after 10 p.m. without fail, and the staff was helpful and courteous. I liked the pool area - it was just right for the youngest to use even when it wasn't terribly warm out.

For Ocean Shores, it was a great find - almost like having a house but centrally located and easy access to the beach on foot. The walk was enjoyable and the trail well maintained. All in all, we loved our stay there.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled with family
2  Thank ErinLeary

Reviewed September 1, 2007

The Grey Gull is pretty par for the course in Ocean Shores.

The good: It does feel pretty homey, and the staff is very friendly.
The room was spacious, and the kitchen, DVD/VCR, and gas fireplace were great. The bed was maybe a 5 out of 10 for comfort. The view over the dunes and to the ocean is very nice.

The Not-So-Good: The walls are paper thin. There are signs everywhere
asking you to please walk quietly, and they're needed, sounds carry very well here. The pool and hot-tub are feels old, and the water in the hot-tub is green, even though the hot-tub is white. I couldn't
quite explain that.

Having visited a few spots on the Northwest Coast - I doubt I'll be back to Ocean Shores. I'd go to Seaside or Cannon Beach in Oregon - 1
extra hour in the car from Seattle would be well worth it.

• Stayed: August 2007
2  Thank lentukwilla
Reviewed August 20, 2007

Stayed in #301 this past weekend, first night was quiet, but wow the next night was super noisy. The walls are really, really thin in the bedroom and we could hear voices clearly and also in the hallway. The hallway has a slider with a lock on it, and if anyone is in the hallway next door you can hear every word. The people in the adjacent room #302 kept trying to open the slider which scared the heck out of us at midnight!! I called to compain about the noise and no one is at the front desk from 10pm-8am. The phone rang and rang....I was told that the answering machine would come on the next morning when I told someone at the front desk about the noise problem, but it never came on. The customer service at the front desk was ok, not super friendly, not mean, but definently not willing to go out of their way to make the guest happy..... The condo itself is big and roomy. The condo was $195- a night before taxes.

Stayed: August 2007
1  Thank perryfan
Reviewed July 6, 2007

We stayed in a standard one-bedroom condo at this property on July 6, 2007 (Unit #206).

We have stayed in most of the motels in Ocean Shores and two other condos, and this is by far the most pleasing.

We had a balcony with great view of the pool, grounds, and the ocean beyond.

Our living room had floor to ceiling windows, a good-sized seating area, a dining area, a gas fireplace (that worked perfectly), and a TV.

There was a complete and fully equipped kitchen and a descent sized bathroom with plush towels.

The bedroom had a very comfortable king bed, a dresser, two nightstands, and a large closet.

The only deficiencies we noted were a couple stains on the carpet, one window pain that sometimes sweat, and a refrigerator that was noisy when it started up and would have disturbed anybody sleeping the living room (but nobody was sleeping there).

The summer rate is $169. We received a 10% AAA discount and, with tax, the unit was $167.87--a very good value for Ocean Shores.

The next time we stay at the Grey Gull I hope to book a deluxe one-bedroom, which is $195 before the 10% discount.

Stayed: July 2007
7  Thank wonderfulworld
Reviewed April 7, 2007

My Fiance' and I stayed at the Grey Gull at Ocean Shores 4/3-4/5.

We had efficiency room 212 which was on the south side of the motel.

Staff over the telephone was most helpful making the reservation. We
have a dog which was not a problem- Grey Gull has plenty of "pet friendly" rooms available. Check in time is at 4pm but we had planned
on arriving around 1pm. "No problem, just call when you are about 30 minutes out and your room will be ready."

We arrived and check in was a breeze. Two room keys later we were nestled into our room. The room had a decent bathroom (clean) with a nice sink and an ok shower/tub combo. (the shower head could have used an upgrade but it worked so who really cares.)

There was an electric two burner cooktop island with a sink, microwave and a small refer. The large bed was comfy and very clean.
The room had a gas fireplace insert with a temp thermometer so you could keep the room at the temp you wanted, not a timer switch like most fireplaces.

The patio was big enough for two people to sit on chairs (provided) and watch the ocean, birds, and people swimming in the pool and jacuzi. The pool was outdoors surrounded by clear plexiglass to cut the wind. The pool is heated to 90 degrees and the hot tub was posted
at 104. Both were very clean, no worries here.

The view was of the dunes which stretched out to the Pacific Ocean. Pathways from the motel through the dunes allow for a quiet peaceful ten minute walk to the roar of the surf.

We ate at Dugan's Pizza across the street- excellent quality pizza and tasty ceasar salad. Friendly service and good value. The Shilo Inn also had a great breakfast- 3.99 special. Also, go to the Waves Restaurant at the Best Western- best blue cheese steak I've had in a long time. A little more expensive but worth it. Ocean Shores also has a movie theater which is very clean and family friendly.

We stayed for two nights and wanted to get away from the everyday worries. The Grey Gull provided a quiet relaxing enviroment. I would stay here again especially if you have a dog.

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled as a couple
12  Thank Agent45
Reviewed March 3, 2007

My friend and I just had our second long weekend in 5 months staying at the Grey Gull in Ocean Shores WA. We like to stay at the Grey Gull because they let my dog stay with us and they have the only outdoor heated pool and hot tub open to the weather. Since it is on the coast, there is a lot of rain and we love swimming in the pool and sitting in the hot tub all cozy and warm while the wind and the rain wail around us. I wear a baseball cap to keep the rain out of my eyes and the experience is just incredible. The pool and hot tub seem to be kept very clean and sanitary.

Also, it's so nice to be able to bring my dog with us. My dog is family too and she has so much fun coming with me and getting to run on the beach. There are many people there with dogs and everyone is good about cleaning up after their pet.

The rooms are nice, clean and have all the things available you'd want - tv, vcr, dvd, free wi-fi, a well appointed kitchen. It's not plush, but more than adequate for the price. It does not smell wet and musty, and the units I've stayed in are up to date and fresh.

The people who work there are friendly and helpful and genuinely nice. According to the guest book in the rooms I've stayed in, many people have been coming here for over 30 years. I highly recommend staying at the Grey Gull.

10  Thank victrip
Reviewed February 23, 2007

I stayed in room 301, a corner unit for one night mid week in Feb of 07. This is a very large condo like room with separate living room, full kitchen, kind bedroom and large bathroom. I also got the 40% discount for winter rates. 195.00 room for 117. plus tax. pretty good deal. :)

First the good: the staff were all very friendly and nice. Ellen at the front desk was very helpful in booking a room over the phone.

the ocean view from the room was very nice and it had a large wrap around balcony. this is definitely not right on the ocean and it was quite a ways to walk to the beach, but watching the waves from the room was very nice. I wish I had brought my binoculars.

the kitchen has everything you could possibly need. all clean and very nice. The bathroom was very clean (except the grout in the tub which might need replacing) and had lots of mirrors and drawers. the tile is pretty cold, though so turn the heat on in there right away. the carpets appeared to have been updated except the one on the balcony which was pulling up.

the Kind bed was comfy, a bit hard, like hotel beds usually are. the pillows were also comfy. and extras were in the large mirrored closet. there was also a view from the bedroom.

lots of amenities. plenty of space, a stereo with cds and a few books and magazines. the TV has a dvd and vcr player.

now for the not so good. the linens in this unit could use some upgrading. threadbare and faded comforter and nubby and scratchy blanket. there was one extra thin blanket in the closet, I used it and was still cold. the sheets didn't fit the bed and kept pulling up. the colors and art could be updated as well. still in the 80s blue and mauve, but very sun faded and dingy and dusty plants and decorations. the sofa is pretty old, as are the tables next to it. one of the swivel chairs is kinda broken so don't dare lean back.

I will also say the walls here are very thin. I could hear closet doors closing and talking and coughing in the room next door. there are signs everywhere saying walk quietly and shhhh people sleeping. but the ocean sounds were lovely.

the other thing to note is the gas fireplace must have a timer on it. there are notes and warnings about if it doesn't light, to call the front desk, but not between 10pm and 8 am. that is when it doesn't light. it came back on promptly at 8 am. but it would have been nice to have a fire when I had insomnia at 2 am. also, this unit heats very unevenly. it has wall heaters. when they are on, it is hot right by the heater, and cooler away, but soon as it is off, it gets very cold very quickly. the uncarpeted portions of the floors were freezing. and the temp varied so much I was either hot or cold, but never really comfortable.

I would stay here again but I wouldn;t pay 195.00 for it. maybe try one of the other corner units. if this is a condo type situation maybe the furnishings and upgrades vary from owner to owner. I did hear Ellen tell someone that the owner of 214 had all new furniture and had recently upgraded. it is also a corner unit. being on the 2nd floor it wouldn't have had quite the same high view.

Stayed: February 2007