“Loved it”

Ranked #2 of 14 Hotels in Ocean Shores
Federal Way, Washington
“Loved it”
Reviewed September 28, 2011

I can't wait to go back! First I have to say that I love that this is not a chain place to stay. It's a small privately owned Inn that has rooms for rent and also owners onsite in their own individually owned units which must be why it is maintained so well. If you're looking for a room on the coast with charm and a beach inn feel The Grey Gull is it. There's not a place to eat in The Grey Gull but the room had a normal size fridge, stove and microwave. They were really close to resturants and shopping.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Tim H

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (124)
Reviewed September 11, 2011

We greatly enjoyed our stay at the Grey Gull. This hotel to me acts as a safeguard against the temperamental weather at Ocean Shores. We had a mixture of brilliant sun and cold wind/ fog during our stay. When the sun was out, we went to the beach that was easily accessed by a trail system at the back of the hotel. When Mother Nature suddenly changed her mood and threw cold wind and fog at us, we went to the heated pool + jacuzzi both placed within a glass wind barrier and enjoyed the remainder of the day.
Should also mention that our room had a deck facing the ocean which was perfect for drinks as the sun set and a fireplace in the room once the sun was down. Overall a great deal, and we didn't have noise issues as suggested by other reviewers. Much to contrary, we saw an abundance of signs from the hotel management asking patrons to respect the quiet.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Washington
Reviewed July 28, 2011

Room 107 was great for our family getaway. We reserved rooms next to each other and being on the ground floor visited back and forth. Nice decks off each unit. Next time I might stay up a floor for the view. Great pool, hot tub and on the ocean. We played croquet on the lawn and had a great time. A family favorite.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Tacoma, Washington
Reviewed February 10, 2011

We celebrated my 60th birthday with a weekend stay at the Grey Gull at Ocean Shores. It had been over 30 years since we'd stayed there, and I expected to find it rather worn. Wrong. We stayed in suite 207 which is beautifully furnished and decorated. There were six of us, and we all had plenty of room and comfortable sleeping arrangments. In the master bedroom, we had the biggest, most comfortable king-sized bed I've ever slept in. And with 1.75 bathrooms, there was never a wait for showers.
The kitchen was VERY complete; the living area was roomy. And the view would have been terrific, if only the weather had cooperated...
Service was friendly and fast. We had a slight issue with the fireplace igniter, and the maintenance man was there and had it fixed within a half hour. Front desk people were friendly, and I am told that we got a great price on a winter weekend promotion.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank agoneil
Vancouver, Washington
Reviewed January 25, 2011

I recently stayed at the Grey Gull with my teenage kids and a few friends. Everyone enjoyed the outdoor pool and the hot tub. The sauna was very relaxing and it was nice to have a shower room right at the sauna. The lobby was tastefully decorated and the kids enjoyed the game shelf. The rooms were comfortable and clean. The full kitchen saved on restaurant bills.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank LauraTerry
seattle
Reviewed August 18, 2010

I stayed here recently, and while the staff were nice and I dug the pool, the noise levels at night drove me insane. The big fire pit outside is a party magnet, and at one am, packed with loud drunk guests, it was bad. I asked them nicely one night to chill, and they kind of did, but both nights we were there it was a battle to go to sleep with the screaming and hollering. If you are the kind of traveler who likes hoot and holler, get smashed, and forget the oldies and their cranky ways, then this place if for you. But for families or anyone who wants a restful sleep as part of the action, this ain't for you. Or me.

Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
6 Thank gentlegiant5
Washington State
Reviewed August 16, 2010

Unfortunately this is not the place to have a relaxing vacation. The units all face the pool and courtyard and have an ocean view, which would be nice except for the all-night fire pit. Guest are encouraged to stay at the fire pit as long as they like, and we were kept awake until the wee hours of the morning by yelling and boisterous behavior two nights in a row.

After the first night I notified the office, which closes at 10:00 p.m. I thought they might check the fire pit when they closed the second night to ask the guests to keep it down, but the loud party continued. I like to hear the ocean when I go to the beach, not listen to drunken people yelling as I try to sleep.

Since the pool and hot tub close at 10:00 p.m, why not close the fire pit then, too, or remove it entirely. I urge the Grey Gull management to consider what they are trying to provide: a relaxing family vacation spot or a place for loud parties that last far into the night? With no staff present at the resort over night, guests are totally on their own. It's too expensive of a place to pay for and not be able to sleep.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family