“ooh yuck” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #14 of 14 Hotels in Ocean Shores
Bothell, WA
“ooh yuck”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 25, 2011

I didn't do my due diligence when making plans for this trip. The Sands promised a fireplace in our room. It was a lightbulb behind a picture of a fire. We stayed at the Sands because they advertised a pool. It was so scummy we were grossed out. The worst part was that the room smelled just awful and soon our clothing smelled awful and then our car smelled awful from our being in it. We had to wash everything when we got home including our coats. The parking lot lights were so bright that it made sleep difficult. The separate bedroom had only 3 walls, so not so separate. I just today found out that they had bed bugs in October 2010.

Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank bothellbelle

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Port Angeles, WA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 21, 2010

You just can't beat the price & location of the Sands. We've stayed here many times in the past 3-4 years and its starting to feel like home. From our experiences here, they treat their repeat customers as family. We discover something new about the resort on each trip.

The motel is older and the weather has beat up the outside of the buildings a bit, but the rooms are remodeled and clean, and very spacious. (At least the king kitchenette's are!) We bring a lot of stuff from home, including our bedding & pillows, but not because of anything wrong with theirs. We also brought our dvd and some movies on this trip knowing the weather wasn't going to cooperate with a lot of outdoor activities.

The kitchenette rooms are great, mini fridge, 4-burner stove & oven, microwave, toaster, coffee pot... everything you need. In fact, the last trip we "holed up" in the room for a lot of the time and didn't even request maid service. Very relaxing.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2010

Arrived friday evening with many of the motels sold out. We always use trip advisor so we were apprehensive to try the sands. Room was clean and looked newly remodeled, they had two pool's so the kids were in heaven, free light breakfast, and to top it off I spent $50 less per night than last time we stayed in OS.

• Stayed October 2010
1 Thank BrianR74
Aberdeen, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2010

have stayd at the sands for the last 3yr for my birthday and have always enjoy my self be it with family or just to get away by my self the people that work there are friendly the price is right room are always nice and and they will even turn the heat on i check in to nice warm room

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
Port Orchard, Washington
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2010

We were surprised to fing MANY visitors in our bed about 1/2 hour after going to bed. After getting them off us we called the manager and the person on duty did not seem surprised at this at all. Her attitude was that of--oh well, deal with it. we immediately checked out and the perdon at the desk also seemed indifferent as to the presence of BED BUGS in their hotel. They did give us our money back. Horrible experience.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank JeanandNorm

Travelers are raving about these Ocean Shores hotels

Bremerton, WA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2010

We booked a room and was told it was a two night minimum...When we got there we were upgraded to a one bedroom suite...OMGoodness it was awesome...we had so much fun there! We (my sister and I) have 6 boys under the age of 12...they enjoyed the pools and breakfast...when we needed anything we were helped right away! We had an awesome time and were able to take our puppies! Right on the ocean...What more could we ask more! We will definatly be back for more memories! Thanks to all the friendly and helpful staff!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2010

My kids and I have returned for our 3rd visit last week and we had a terrific time. We used to stay at the Gitchee Gummee down the road before they changed names. Then I looked at a few rooms at the Sands and found my new place in Ocean Shores. Good price + good view + pools & game room for my two boys + nice staff + on the dunes and easy access to the beach makes this place an right choice for us.

Usually we stay in the big building on the 3rd floor for the view and get a basic 2 bed room (warning - no elevators in case stairs are a problem for you). The room is nice and in good shape, new TV, bed and carpet look good. Especially when the flowers are blooming, the grounds look good too. There are also a lot of different rooms in the other wings and I've looked at a few of the family suites and they are nice and much bigger, but more money. I'm a little picky so I always ask for a key before I check in so I get exactly the room I want, and if I ask for something the desk clerks have always made it right for us. That's why I go back.

I don't know if all of these other reviewers have been to the same hotel from what I've read, or they had expectations of a Marriott. This is not a hotel in downtown Seattle. It's a quiet hotel at the beach! Regarding the last poster with the car problem... it seems to me that it would be a problem with the whole town as every hotel has uncovered parking. It's a small town, I've never had a problem anywhere I've stayed or at any of the restaurants or any of the activity sites in town. Compared to downtown Seattle this place is sleepy and pretty much uneventful. That's why I go to the beach.

Check out the fun center if you have kids. We also usually eat at the pizza place near the convention center. The jetty at the other end of ocean shores is also a fun place to visit.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family