“Outdoor pool open this year!!”
Review of The Sands Resort

The Sands Resort
Ranked #14 of 14 Hotels in Ocean Shores
Reviewed July 13, 2013

Have stayed 6 times, once yearly. We go in the Summer for the outdoor pool. It was closed in 2011 and 2012, but open in 2013, clean and warm. The continental breakfast is basic but a fun experience with the others attempting to get their food. Does need maintenance, but a good Summer value.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family

Reviewed July 7, 2013

Went out for the 4th of July festivities. Here are the issues we had as soon as we got to the room.

1) As soon as we opened the door, there was a smell that was indescribable - like the room hadn't been used in a long time - it was enough to make me run for my inhaler. We had to sleep with the sliding door open both nights because the smell would come back if there wasn't fresh air flowing through the room.

2) Phone did not work because you had to jiggle the cord in the wall box - then there was so much static it wasn't worth it.

3) Balcony had moss/grim/dirt everywhere - major neglect - the sliding glass door took an act of congress to get it open - my roommate had to open/close it every time and it was even a struggle for him

4) Windows were sealed shut

5) Layout of the whole room was odd - the bed is 2 feet from the door so it's hard to maneuver around to get your things in and out - bathroom is right at the foot of the bed, so that was not pleasant.

6) Bathroom is TINY - if you are a larger person like I am, there is not much room to move once on the toilet

7) NO Wifi in the rooms - was told the motel had Wifi (this is a major need for me to have wifi in the room) - was not told that you would have to go to the main office to use their computer or the second office with your own computer - I was able to pick it up sporadically on my iPod.

8) Fireplace is NOT a true fireplace - it's a cheap plastic looking thing that glows - could never find the switch to even turn it on. ..

9) This is a PET friendly motel - be prepared for dogs barking and or dog piles in the back.

10) Walls are thin so with the bed being near the doors, you can hear everything that is happening in the parking lot and/or on the stairs and walkways.

11) Bed was NOT comfortable - squeaky and lumpy

The ONLY good thing about this motel/room - the view from the second floor balcony overlooks the dunes, so we were able to come back to the room about 10:30pm and watch the fireworks from our room that people were lighting off over the beach.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank PurplePlayDoh
Reviewed June 19, 2013

My husband and I enjoyed our stay. We can't really say much bad of this establishment. We've stayed at many hotels before. And we enjoyed ourselves at the Sands Hotel. My husband and I would consider returning to the Sands in the future.

• Stayed: July 2012
1  Thank kipers
Reviewed June 19, 2013

My husband I stayed here several times, and we will stay several more times if we can. We really enjoyed our stay. The rooms were very clean and the staff were exceptional. In Ocean Shores I think it is one of the best places to stay, it is right in the middle of all the activities going on and not to far from all the restraunts and the trails to the beach were easy and accessible. Love the pool and the hot tubs, the breakfast was great. And the prices were perfect. And the pet friendly was a great bonus as well. Great family environment. I would recommend The Sands to all who want easy access friendly environment easy access to the activities and who have pets! And all at a great price :)

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Rachel P
Reviewed June 17, 2013

There were a number of inconveniences and signs of neglect that pretty much made this place a no-go for us. We were given a different room after we discovered the TV was broken in our first room, but the TV in the new room also didn't work. We were able to fix it ourselves, but the fireplace also didn't work, one lamp was broken, the dresser was broken, and an electrical outlet was broken, among other things.

There were no screens on the windows, including the sliding glass door, and the light on the balcony could not be turned off, so we couldn't have the windows open overnight without letting in bugs (and there are plenty of them). Part of the appeal of a beachside hotel is the sea breeze, but we slept hot. (No A/C either.) The poor air circulation is probably also the cause of the rust in the bathroom. There was no bathroom fan. There was no microwave in the kitchenette.

The layout of the place was also strange and inconvenient. The bed was right next to the door and the window that looked out on the exterior walkway and parking lot, which tended to be loud. A half wall then divided the bed from the sitting area, where the TV was located, so we could not watch TV in bed. This is one of the little luxuries I enjoy about hotels/motels.

The employees were friendly, and the continental breakfast was fine. The location was outstanding, but we did get lost trying to get back to the motel along the trails from the beach, so make sure you know where you're going if you venture out on those. There are a number of hotels and motels along this same stretch of beach.

This motel has several different buildings, so there may be better rooms, but we won't be coming here again. Granted, it was inexpensive and allowed pets, but the rooms need more attention, a more thorough cleaning, and basic maintenance.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 7, 2013

The hotel is old. However, the location and dog-friendly benefits would almost make up for it. I say ALMOST, because my stay here was ruined by a careless employee. Back in March we went to the beach for a last minute get away. The hotel was what I would expect of an older hotel - thin walls, slightly run down. I loved the location - although all the trails to the beach appeared to be flooded and impassable at the time. I really wanted to like this hotel. I initially thought I might have found a new get away spot. Until the morning that is... At 9am, I was woke up by the front desk (the neighbors kept us up late - thin walls...) and the friendly gentleman explained how their reservations system had crashed and they needed my credit card info once again. Long story short - after I woke up a bit more, something didn't sit right. I immediately called the front desk. The woman who answered acted like I was an idiot for falling for the scam - she told me she transferred some outside caller to my room. I have NEVER EVER had a hotel front desk transfer a RANDOM call to my room! I never would have thought they would do this! The front desk person didn't ask for any identifying info from the person. More than anything though - SHE DIDN'T APOLOGIZE to me for the inconvenience! I was able to cancel my credit card before all their attempted charges processed - it only wasted a hour or so of my morning hotel time and ruined what we had hoped would be an escape of the day-to-day stress. As an added bonus, I was without my credit card for nearly TWO WEEKS and had to travel for business much of that time. :-(

Room Tip: Be cautious with calls appearing to be from the front desk. See if the front desk person can reco...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Marrissa99
Reviewed May 28, 2013

Woke up on the Sunday of Memorial Day weekend and decided to go to Ocean Shores with the family (of 5). The Sands had availability so I reviewed the reviews here and they were mixed. Ranked 14 out of 15. However, not a lot of last minute options, so we booked it and we were very pleased by what we found. Look, if you favor Hilton, Marriott, and Grand Hyatts, then you probably aren't going to Ocean Shores for your holiday. If you do got to Ocean Shores, the spectrum of hotels is the Best Western Plus/Judith Inn (B&B) at the top end and places far worse than the Sands on the othe (that don't get rated by TripAdvisor). The difference between Ocean Shore's best and the Sands is not significant. We had a one bedroom suite, very clean, very comfortable. Pleasant walk through the dunes to the beach. The hotel is well situated within a comfortable walk to town. The breakfast is limited and they probably need to find a better place to offer than the pool house which got pretty crowded, but at least they had breakfast. Yes, the walls are a bit thin--but no different than every other middling hotel chain in America. Certainly no worse than that. And, it was quiet by 11. Yes, as someone pointed out below, the soaps are small. But, somehow, we endured. Bottom line: for Ocean Shores, this is comfortable, clean option and we would be happy to stay here again, even if the luxurious Shilo Inn or Best Western had availability.

Room Tip: They have several properties, some of which are across the main road away from the beach. Ask for a...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family