“Mixed bag”

Esteban's Restaurant
Ranked #21 of 89 Restaurants in Oak Harbor
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed August 20, 2014

I so wanted to rate this place with a higher rating, because the staff was super friendly, good service the decor nice,and the entire place immaculate..EXCEPT..when I opened my menu it was filthy..as in the entire menu was splattered with salsa that hadn't dried yet. The older gentleman server (Mr. Esteban, perhaps?)was apologetic. The menu was varied, the chips and salsa were good-chips appeared to be homemade. I had an avocado tostada which was a huge disappointment. Two thin slices of Avocado,and the tostada was not appealing to look at, everything kind of dumped on it and the sauce they drizzled it with was not the same as the salsa on the table. Out of the 100's of tostadas I've eaten over the years never saw one that looked like that. I've eaten in plenty of Mexican places over the years due to my husband's heritage and I would rank this one at the bottom. $2.75 for a soda is high, the prices overall were high for the type of food. To be fair, I would try it one more time and see if my opinion would change given it has decent reviews.

Reviewed May 31, 2013

The service is on the pretty slow side, but it is hands down the best Mexican food on Whidbey. Not the best Mexican food EVER, but definitely the best on the Island. We will definitely be frequenters of Esteban's!

Review collected in partnership with La Quinta
1  Thank MrsAJG1111
Reviewed May 19, 2013

the food is decent, but its a little bit on the expensive side. i have never had any problems with the staff and they have always been extremely helpful

Reviewed September 4, 2012

Hadn't been to this restaurant in some time so was pleased to find the quality of their food and the service had not declined. The chili verde was excellent as was the chili relleno, but the true test is the homemade salsa... very good!

Reviewed August 13, 2012

Fast service began with HOT chips and unusually excellent salsa. We shared a huge serving of arroz polo that was totally delicious as was their margarita. Having eaten hundreds of Mexican meals, this one was at the top of the list. We'll definitely return when in Oak Harbor.