“Stale food, yuk.” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of El Cazador

El Cazador
Ranked #9 of 84 Restaurants in Oak Harbor
Cuisines: Mexican, Southwestern
Good for: Bar scene, Dining on a budget, Large groups, Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Delivery, Free Off-Street Parking, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Voted "Best Mexican" by Whidbey News-Times The Best of Whidbey Reader's Choice Awards 2010 thru 2015. Since 1982 we have remained family owned and operated are and proud to serve Whidbey Island delicous Mexican food! Whether you are craving some delicious Queso Dip, Churros, Carne Asada, Fajitas, Pozole, or Tortilla soup, you are sure to find something to love here at El Cazador.
Washington State
“Stale food, yuk.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 23, 2012

Stale food. Bad service. There are many better options.

1 Thank ScissorsAndPens
Jose R, Owner at El Cazador, responded to this review, March 24, 2012
Hello,

Our family is very active in following up on reviews. We are committed to providing great quality and service. In order to address negative feedback, I need specifics.
When was the date and time of your visit?
Was there something specific that you ate that you felt was stale?
Did you try and talk to our Management staff?

We are proudly family owned and operated and we take these comments seriously.

Jose Rodriguez

“Good food, slightly high priced”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2012

Went there for lunch on a Sunday. The food was excellent, service was overall good, maybe a little slow and we did have to ask for our check and they put it on separate checks without asking if we wanted it that way ( we didn't).
Despite that we will still go there again.

Jose R, Manager at El Cazador, responded to this review, April 26, 2012
Thank you for your feedback here on Tripadvisor. Our family appreciates your feedback, and we will be sure to stress to our servers that they should not be separating checks unless it is requested. We strive to make our customers feel comfortable and happy in their experience and we very much look forward to serving you again.

Muchas Gracias!
“Awful excuse for Mexican food!!!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2011

If i could compare this to something I've had before I would say it tasted like Taco Bell but much more expensive. When the food was brought out I could tell it was going to taste awful. I've had the pleasure to taste exquisite Mexican food from many different places and was very disappointed with this dish. My brother had something different and agrees with me that this was by far the worst Mexican food we have ever had. For those of you that think this is what Mexican food tastes like I feel sorry for you. If you live in this area and want good Mexican food you are going to have to make it yourself!! Save yourself the time and money and don't bother to go here!

• 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Philcool160
Jose R, Owner at El Cazador, responded to this review, December 30, 2011
Phil,

I am very sorry to read that you did not enjoy your visit to my Family's restaurant. My Father and Mother started El Cazador in 1982 and we have served the community for almost 30 years now. We just won Best of Whidbey for Mexican food here on the Island, so I was wondering if there was anything in particular that you did not enjoy so that we might be able to better apply improvements based on your feedback.

I am a first generation American (as both of my Parents are from Mexico) and I too, have had the opportunity to taste both my Mother's home cooking as well as to visit Mexico and taste the cuisine there. Much of the Mexican food here in the states can never compare to what is served in Mexico, but we do our best here to find a happy medium between what is Tradtional and what is Authentic.

From your review I can see that you detested your visit and I am very dissapointed to see this. I am very passionate myself about Mexican food- as well as pleasing our customers. If there is ever a time that you are visiting Oak Harbor again I'd love to meet in person and talk about your travels and I'd be happy to hear more feedback.

Muchas Gracias.

Jose Rodriguez
El Cazador Mexican Grill & Cantina
Oak Harbor, WA
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
“Excellent Food, Service and Value for Money!!!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2011

Visited with a group of 9 people, both adults and children. The food was great, the service was friendly and efficient and everyone had a great time.

3 Thank therogersfamily44
Seattle
“Muchas Gracias!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2011

Spent this weekend cruising around Whidbey Island, which we have done many many times. This weekend we were kayaking Lake Campbell, and Pass Lake, which was a hoot. We checked into Candlewood Suites this time, and I had a hankering for mexican food. I saw the sign that stated "Best in Whidbey Island" so decided to see for myself. At 6pm Saturday night, we were seated immediately and given a choice of table or booth. I love being asked. Immediatel we were served fresh chips, with what I consider to be one of the best salsas I have had to date. Drinks were immediate, as was the lovely, actually beautiful waitress. I ordered the carne asada, and my wife ordered three enchiladas, mixed. These are our signiture dishes, and the method by which we guage the quality of the restaraunt. We will order this meal every time we go to a new mexican food place in order to get a similarity on what we know we like. Dinner was served in less than ten minutes, even though the place was filling up quickly. The steak was plentiful, and delicious. Adding a grilled green onion to this meal always tells me they care about making it good, and by golly, it was delicious. The rice and beans were fabulous, and had a great deal of flavor. There was plenty of food, even though they use the tactic of using massive plates with food spread out on its entirety. Seasoned very well, with no need for additional salt and papper, I enjoyed the meal immensly. The staff constantly monitored our drinks, and genuinely cared about our enjoyment. The check came very quickly after we declined dessert,just the way I like it. My wife enjoyed her meal as well, indicating the cheese was delightful, tender, and flavorfull. i give El Cazador very high marks, and my personal recomendation. Reservations a must for large groups, although they have no problem serving huge groups with the same speed and attention to detail we onbserved. Will definately dine there again. Dinner for two was 34.00 before tip. A value.

3 Thank DaveFrancis