“We found the room/building and service of excellent quality.”

Candlewood Suites Oak Harbor
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Oak Harbor
Surrey, Canada
“We found the room/building and service of excellent quality.”
Reviewed September 8, 2011

Our first time at a Candlewood Suites and it was like a brand new building. The room was surprisingly clean and fresh. All fixtures and appliances were like new and within a very spacious suite. The bed was the most comfortable we had slept upon in years.
The "Kitchen Cupboard" is a great idea and helps with the convenience of a in room breakfast. The use of several outdoor Bbqs is great too. The service was quick and courteous. Most importantly, no surprises.
We highly recommend a stay here.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank mouldingman

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed August 31, 2011

We stayed here on a business trip through WA. We both got a queen one bedroom suite. The room was clean, the carpet, appliances, tv, bathroom etc were all in great shape, I was disappointed that they didn't have an ice machine (you have an ice maker in the fridge in your room, but if y ou want ice now - you have to wait)

Front desk was accommodating. It's a nice place with no frills or extras. Just a clean nice room. The Best Western next door has a pool and more stuff you can do.

Overall, great place if you bring your own fun, food, beverages.

Room Tip: When you check in, ask if it is their best rate - I saved $20 with this simple question.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank PaulT60606
glendale, ca
Reviewed August 30, 2011

To me, this hotel came off as cold and institutional despite its having some good qualities. The reasons are the decor throughout, which resembles that of a hospital, the noticeable smell of cleaning soap, and the hospital-admitting-room appearance of the lobby.

That said, my third-floor room was good in many ways despite its plain appearance. The bedroom was quite large, as was the bathroom. The room had a wood-floored kitchen area with a refrigerator, stove, sink, microwave and dishwasher. The carpeted living area had a large and firmly comfortable bed, arm chair, writing desk and TV console. The hotel has three floors and is located on the north end of Oak Harbor. It has an exercise room and laundry room.

All things considered, I would look for a more inviting hotel next time in Oak Harbor.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank glendale-member
Seattle
Reviewed August 2, 2011

Wife and I went kayaking this weekend in Lake Campbell, and Pass Lake. It was a rare warm Seattle day, and the island was alive with boaters, swimmers, and visitors to Deception Pass. We decided to stay at Candlewood for two reasons. 1. We knew it was the newest hotel in the area and 2. I have a lot of faith (and points) with the Holiday Inn brands. We checked in at 5pm Saturday behind another couple. The phone was ringing off the hook, and the poor girl was getting flustered. She was the only one at the desk. I told her to help the people on the phone, and it seemed to never end. Checking in after that was just fine. We received a top floor room (an automatic perk of having membership at most chains) and a cute little gift bag. The staff could not have been any nicer in spite of the horrific phone issues.
The room was spotless, and decor was just fine. The room has a complete, albiet, dwarfed kitchen with everything a kitchen at home has inside. Microwave had a bowl, and a popcorn, and there was a bottle of unopened water in the fridge. bedding is wonderful, and in spite of what others have written, thermostat and air conditioning worked well. The bathroom is well appointed, clean, and had the usual amenities, but in a farly large size. Very nice for those of us who take these items home. In the room was a la z boy leather chair which was very clean, and very comfortable. I knew upon arrival there was no pool, jacuzzi, or breakfast. The work out room was very clean, well outfitted, and ready to use. We peaked at the laundry, and it too was very very clean. A business center near the small lobby is outfitted with two terminals, and a very good printer, all in working order. The night we were there, must have been a special "pet" night, as we noticed many guests had pets. I am really not a fan of hotels which allow pets, and usually make sure it is not their policy. It isnt so much the pets, but pet owners that bother me. A good example was the pet owner waiting for the elevator that allowed his leashed dog to stick his nose right on in there (if ya know what I mean) and did little to pull it back. Instead of throwing a fit like I normally do, I simply acted injured from this dogs intrusion, and scared the owner a bit. I will say I heard no barking, and could not smell any evidence of pets either in the room, or the grounds.
Aside from the pet policy, I give Candlewood high marks in all areas. At 126.00 dollars a night (a Saturday night in the summer no less) I found it to be priced right. I have stayed at the Coachman, Best Western, and, yes, even the Acorn Motor Lodge once. I will stay with this Candlewood Suites on my next overnighter as well. Have fun, happy travels!

Room Tip: Always be a member of a chains
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank DaveFrancis
Seattle, WA
Reviewed July 10, 2011

Check in was friendly and efficient. There's not much of a lobby area to speak of.

Based on previous reviews, I got a top floor room and had no noise issues. The hotel was only about 1/2 full, if that. The workout area and laundry are well-maintained and they have a little outside deck and barbecue area (too cold outside for me, though!)

The plus - I was very pleased with the room. Spacious, clean, updated decor, comfy bed and pillows, plenty of towels, and the kitchen was a big plus and pretty well-equipped.

The minuses - No breakfast provided. They have the Candlewood pantry, which is an honor system tiny convenience store with some microwaveable items and cold items. It's an interesting concept and it's great if you get in late in the evening or just want a snack and don't want to go out again. But I think I'd still prefer to have the breakfast setup like most extended stay hotels do. To have the pantry in addition to the morning breakfast would be great.

Another drawback is weekly maid service instead of daily. If you were there for a week, your room would be a mess. My trash cans were pretty full by Day 2. ( I was only there for two days.)

You really get the feel of being more in an apartment than a hotel. They're charging extended stay hotel prices but not providing the amenities that others in the price range do. I'd stay here again, but wish they're provide a little more in terms of services, or else lower the price.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank SeattleElikapeka
Lake Stevens, Washington
Reviewed July 1, 2011

I had planned to stay a week at this hotel, and it's a very nice hotel. I love the Pantry, that's a really cool idea. But things started going wrong on the first night.

The first problem is the thermostat. If you like to be cool when you sleep, like most people do, you will be in trouble here. The thermostat only goes down to 65 degrees, and the a/c won't kick on until it reaches 68 degrees. That's pretty warm for sleeping. But it gets worse. The thermostat is motion activated and if you go to bed it will stop working all together. The room gets hot fast. It was cool and rainy the whole time I stayed, I'd hate to stay there if the weather was above 50 degrees. To attempt to combat this problem I purchased fan and found a bypass code for the thermostat online. That made it barely tolerable if I didn't use the blankets. Then problem #2 cropped up.

Problem #2. I was on the bottom floor. There were 10 cars in the parking lot (I counted them.) They put a man in the room above me. I woke up in the middle of the night to things bouncing around on the counter and in the cupboards as the man walked around in his room. It was VERY loud, it woke me from my sleep over the sound of the fan and the air conditioner. I waited to see if he would settle, but he didn't so I went to the front desk. They said they couldn't move him but they offered to move me. I had a week's worth of things already unpacked and it was the middle of the night so I declined. He was there for one night, I fail to see why they couldn't have asked him to change rooms and given him some compensation for his trouble. As it was, I checked out and they lost the next 5 nights of my business.

I can honestly say that this was the second worst hotel stay of my long life (the worst being a hotel that was under construction and used jackhammers on the floor below us all night.) Two sleepless nights was enough, I came home to get some rest.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled solo
3 Thank whispurrr
Kent, Washington
Reviewed July 1, 2011

The whole stay here was memorable and can't wait to go back to Oak Harbor to stay there again!

Not only was the late night staff pleasant and perky considering the time we finally arrived for check in, they were friendly and very expedient (some hotels seem to take forever to check in).

The rooms were clean, spacious and inviting- was almost like walking into a furnished flat/studio.

The have an awesome workout room (which we did not get to take advantage of this trip around, next time)

They have this small "snack room" and you can either drop cash/change in the drop box or fill out a slip and have the charges added to your room at check out.. AND they are so trusting they use the "honor system" so this snack room is not monitored.

I couldn't really pick out even one thing that I could complain about or ask them to improve. Thank you for a relaxing and pleasant experience.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
#3 of 6 in Oak Harbor
Acorn Motor Inn
Acorn Motor Inn
#1 of 6 in Oak Harbor

Been to Candlewood Suites Oak Harbor? Share your experiences!