“Not a 2 star hotel”
Review of Auld Holland Inn

Auld Holland Inn
Ranked #3 of 6 Oak Harbor B&B and Inns
Reviewed July 13, 2013

Hotwire had this hotel listed as a 2 star hotel. This hotel still has a roadside sign that says "color TV and dail phones." Good news - the phones are actually dial. This is not a quaint step back in tow -this is yellow appliances in the kitchenette and dated furniture. The light breakfast is boiled eggs and stale cornflakes. My husband and I nearly forfeited our payment and went to a different hotel. Wouldn't have been a good value at even half the hotwire price.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank R B
There are newer reviews for Auld Holland Inn

Reviewed June 27, 2013

We stayed there the first time because of reputation of other reasonably price motel in Oak Harbor. We were so pleased we have stayed several times since. Staff is friendly and helpful. Owner was delightful last time we were there. Room is clean, though old fashioned (part of the charm), nice not fancy. Will stay there again.

Room Tip: Smoking rooms (2) are downstairs
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 21, 2013 via mobile

When I was a child, this hotel was *THE* place to stay in town. Not anymore. The outside looks quaint, but the hotel is falling apart. The room smelled like an ashtray, even though there was a no smoking sign on the door. The window would barely open, and there was no screen on it. My friend got bit by several mosquitoes overnight. The ancient mini fridge is on the floor in the bathroom, and the just as old microwave is on the bathroom counter. Not very hygenic. My friend got athlete's foot from the shower. The "antique" furniture is falling apart, and the "huge flat screen television" is the old huge 1000 lb CRT type with a small flat screen. Plus, the hotel is at the end of the Naval Station's runway, so you may get a rude awakening. At least the old A/C works great.

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed June 12, 2013

My wife and I arrived on bicycles for a night's stay. The staff were so friendly and helpful. The room was fine and very quiet given that the hotel is near the road. We could walk to a restaurant. I would heartily recommend it for a night's stay.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 29, 2013

My wife an I stayed for a night and we were upgraded to the suite. It had a jacquzzi! It was awesome! The hostess was very pleasant and generous. I would highly recommend to people that don't mind old style furniture, clean rooms and friendly service.

Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 28, 2013

In an effort of full disclosure, I worked at the Kasteel Franssen many years ago, which was owned by the same family that owns the Auld Holland Inn. I must say it is a faded version of it's old glory, but still a lovely piece of property over-all.
I stayed on a Tuesday and had no reservations. The front desk was helpful and even upgraded me to a bigger room for the same price, which I thought was very nice. The hotel had maybe 6 cars in the front lot. The room was clean and huge. The furnishings were homey and antique. Which I prefer over formica and IKEA style furnishings. The bed was comfortable and the room had a kitchenette.
I heard no road noise, but the wall heater was like a white noise machine.
I would stay again. It is a great room for the price. Somehow Oak harbor has become ravenously expensive and uglier in the past years. Basically, the town is a huge concrete strip mall. Thankfully it is close to everything lovely (Deception Pass, Coupeville, beaches).

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Piercedlibrarian
Reviewed May 12, 2013

This is a small town motel which is friendly and clean. Room was a bit dated, but that is part of the charm if you like antique type furnishings. If you want new and sleek then this is not the place for you. Room was very clean (spotless). We stayed in room 215 with a King bed which was very comfortable (mattress seemed pretty new). Breakfast was more than we expected - cereal (2 cold types and 1 hot type), boiled eggs, pastry, coffee, orange juice, and milk. The noise from the freeway really wasn't that bad - we have stayed in much much worse and louder locations. Overall a nice stay. Pool was closed but looked decent.

Room Tip: Ask nicely at the front desk and if they can help you then they probably will. :-)
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
#3 of 10 in Anacortes
The Coachman Inn & Suites
The Coachman Inn & Suites
#2 of 4 in Oak Harbor

Been to Auld Holland Inn? Share your experiences!