New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Acorn Motor Inn

Acorn Motor Inn
Ranked #1 of 6 Oak Harbor B&B and Inns
Washington USA
“Acorn Motor Inn review, Oak Harbor, WA”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2013

While I rate this as average, the rooms were clean and the bed very comfortable. It is not a 5 star motel but it was very satisfactory to us. Muffins and bagels with coffee and OJ for breakfast. A refrigerator in room and a microwave. There was a Safeway(6am opening) across busy street with a light, some fast food and a Walmart close by. There was a nice beach withing walking distance if you were a regular walker. I would stay in this motel again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
West Kelowna, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2013 via mobile

Enjoyable and restful overnight stay at this inn. Room was spacious and clean - parking convenient.
We didn't eat the breakfast offerings as had other plans, but noticed basic items were offered.
Good choice for overnight on Oak Harbor.

• Stayed August 2013
Sonoma County, Callifornia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2013

I really don't know why there are complaints about the Acorn. I can understand being a little put out if you wanted a non-smoking room and none were available, but our experience at the Acorn was excellent! The room was large, very clean, and beautifully furnished. The bed was quite comfortable. The staff were friendly and helpful. The breakfast, albeit limited, was more than adequate for a continental-style breakfast - blueberry muffins, bagels and cream cheese, english muffins, jams, etc., plus coffee and orange juice. Hubby and I stayed here one of the last nights of a 2 week road trip, and our experience at the Acorn was every bit as nice as several resorts where we stayed - some costing over $200 a night, while our room at the Acorn cost $69. I'm a picky person, too, yet I found nothing to complain about...well, maybe powdered creamer instead of half-n-half for my morning coffee, but that's it. I highly recommend the Acorn.

Room Tip: Room 106 is large with a king-size bed, non-smoking
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Wichita
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 11, 2013

We decided to attend the Anacortes Crafts Festival and couldn't find a hotel, so I used an online service to search for any available rooms in the area. Acorn Motor Inn was the only place that had vacancy, so I booked 2 rooms through the online service. I then called the hotel directly the next day to confirm the booking.
My daughter and brother-in-law were the first to arrive for check-in, only to find out that one of our rooms was a smoking room, not non-smoking as we had specified. The owner said they were "all out" of non-smoking rooms and had been "airing it [the smoking room] out all day" and "it should be fine." As anyone knows, the smell of smoke gets trapped in rooms, in the walls and fabric, and there is little you can do to remove it, so it's never "fine". Arguing with him did no good, and as there were no other rooms nor hotels available within an hour's radius, we knew we were stuck. On top of this, no apology was delivered, just a droning lecture about how booking online costs him more money, and we should always contact the hotel directly. My brother-in-law, quite put out with this rude behavior, wanted to respond, yet could not understand the owner very well, and repeatedly had to ask him, "What?... What was that?" It was ridiculous and extremely arrogant of the owner to keep going on about a petty point, instead of apologizing to the customer!
My sister-in-law and I arrived later, and were treated to the same tedious lecture about the evils of online booking. When I attempted to respond to this rude, arrogant man, he just cut me off and kept talking! He certainly doesn't have to worry about me booking online for his hotel anymore.
The rooms were average, clean enough, with a fridge and microwave. The breakfast was a joke, but better than nothing, I suppose. We did not partake, as we left one morning before it was ready, and skipped it the next.
The doors on the rooms do not have a chain or a catch, but there is a rubber doorstop provided which you can wedge under the door after it is locked. And you WILL want to do so, as the doors at the end of the halls (both upper and lower) do NOT lock and remain open ALL NIGHT! So even though there may be someone at the front desk (?), anyone at all can enter the hotel through the corridor doors! No security at all. I did hear people in the hall at night and a couple of times someone messed with the door, but can't be sure who it was or why (wrong room? a robber?) Also, even though we put out the "Do Not Disturb" sign, the maid (I hope it was the maid) repeatedly kept trying to come in and clean our room, starting at 7:08 AM!! We called out to go away for a couple of hours, to no avail.
We checked out a day early to head home, and received a phone call from the owner at six o'clock pm that evening (Is it coincidence that he phoned precisely when free cancellation ends? I think not.) to inquire where we were-- the maid had "just discovered" [Sure] that our luggage was gone! Were we coming back? When I said that we had checked out, he replied that we would be charged for the last day, as we had not notified the hotel before 6pm that we weren't returning. I told him that we turned in our keys and checked out, surely that indicated we wouldn't return. As usual, he kept up a barrage of excuses and lectures, ending with, "You will be getting no refund!" before he hung up on me.
Needless to say, I would not return to this hotel.

2 Thank Brenda W
Ellensburg, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2013

We took our two grandchildren and stayed here for two nights. We were very pleased with the décor, staff, cleanliness, etc. Big screen TV was a plus and it was nice to have microwave and fridge with the kids along.
Continental breakfast consisted of muffins (very Good) or bagels and juice. Very centrally located for exploring the various parks and beaches on Whidbey Island or taking a run up to Anacortes.
Last but certainly counts a lot to us--the beds were GREAT!! Will certainly return, oh yes, the cost was very reasonable.

Clarkston, Washington, United States
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2013

We had no choice but to stay at the Acorn, I could not believe that I had to pay $189 before tax for a room that was worth $100. The muffin for breakfast was frozen, I would not stay there again. Expensive!!!! I am used to getting a nice room for the price we paid. Never again!!!!

1 Thank Barbara M
Surrey, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2013

We were treated badly upon check-in and things went down hill from there. The room was dated, the mattresses old and lumpy, and the pillows were very thin and there were not enough to compensate for this. No extra pillows or blankets were available in the room. No coffee-maker, iron or blow-dryer in the rooms. What hotel does not have a blow-dryer at least? The breakfast was minimal at best- muffins and toast was the extent of it. How this hotel got such glowing reviews is beyond me. We were completely unimpressed and would never recommend this hotel to anyone. Never again..

Room Tip: Find a different hotel!!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
#1 of 10 in Anacortes
The Coachman Inn
The Coachman Inn
#2 of 4 in Oak Harbor

Been to Acorn Motor Inn? Share your experiences!