“Excellent breakfast area”

Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Oak Harbor
Covington, Washington
“Excellent breakfast area”
Reviewed August 18, 2012

Many hotels have the "continental breakfast" area, and they are pretty much all the same. What set this one apart was the attentiveness of the woman who was taking care of it. I can't rememember her name (she was short, with short dark hair and an ever-present smile), but she greeted us warmly each of the three days we stayed there. The area was spotless, the food items kept filled, organized and fresh. She took the time to open the hot plates whenever there were people getting food and then closed them to keep the food as warm as possible. Noone had to try to hold the lid, their plate and the serving utensil at the same time. Small things like that can make a big difference. There were only a few tables inside the area, but she made sure that people were aware of the tables in the next room as well so noone was waiting for a table to empty.

The rest of the hotel was clean, I was a bit surprised that they put out fresh towels every day even though we had hung them up and would have used them again. Most places we stay at are trying to be a bit more environmentally friendly and only change the towels if you leave them on the floor, so we usually only opt for fresh washcloths if it's just a couple of days.

We were able to hear footsteps from the room above us and a child's voice next door, but there wasn't anything loud enough to annoy us. Depending on your neighbors, this could be a factor in how enjoyable your stay is.

The hot tub and pool were very nice - it had been freshly filled the day before we arrived and there were always plenty of towels.

There is a Chinese restaurant right out the front door, but we didn't try it. We did go to Zorba's Greek restaurant which is in easy walking distance and found it quite good.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
Bellingham, Washington
Reviewed August 1, 2012

Rooms were clean and very comfortable. Facilities were very nice. The check in service with "Chris" was horrible. I have never been treated so poorly. He was rude and very demeaning besides being obnoxious. I was ready to walk out on the spot. Even though the facilites were great, I will never stay there again!! I have previously stayed at the Coachman Inn and will definitely go back there next time I'm in town for business.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Seattle
Reviewed July 29, 2012

I stayed overnight a few weeks ago and was so disappointed at the service and noise level.

I was not treated with the same courtesy as the guests checking in before me and later when I complained about the noise level (sounded like furniture being moved and people walking really loudly around me - for several hours and early in the morning), the front desk clerk was not helpful as evidenced by the continued noise. The room was fine for what it's worth but I will never stay there again based on what seemed like discriminating service.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed July 20, 2012

We had a fine stay at this hotel. The room had been recently renovated as far as we could tell, and the front desk staff was very friendly (although probably understaffed). It seems she was covering for two people.

The pool was a good swim. We're pretty sure it's saltwater which is a big plus for any hotel pool in my book.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Auckland, New Zealand
Reviewed June 18, 2012

Reception was very warm and friendly. The room was bright and well appointed. Everything worked as it should including the microwave & wifi. The noise from the Navy Jets was not an issue as they could hardly be heard from the inside. Good show from outside the Hotel! Hot Coffee in the lobby was always in supply. The area for improvement is the Breakfast Experience. Having to go down into a no window basement and find the breakfast area tucked around a corner or two, looking somewhat disjointed, was not expected. It should be on level 1. Having said that the breakfast itself was good but for the TV taking over any conversation. Checkout was also very good.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank MrZippy_NZ
Sequim, Washington
Reviewed June 3, 2012

My experience was not all the great. The check-in was a bit subpar. Not all that friendly. The room and bed was okay! The room had a microwave and fridge but I think they were props for how well they worked. I found a few things that housekeeping skipped or missed. The place seems worn and dated. The wi-fi was not as good as it should be. The same old fats and carbs at breakfast. The glass doors that face out back were nice to get the stuff in and out. I am glad I was just there for one night. The only time I got any friendly word was at check-out. A little late when it's at check out!
After a long day and an early start the next day - a friendly pleasant greeting - a room that has everything promised and in working order - and a decent breakfast to send us off in the morning. How hard is that? The Harbor Plaza just skims by on the Best Western Plus. I am being generous with just an "Average" ranking. It's like staying at a "Average" Mom and Pop hotel. I wouldn't stay here again. If I ever got stuck in Oak Harbor again I would shop around, better yet keep driving.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
Arlington, Virginia
Reviewed May 22, 2012

2nd visit in less than a year to Oak Harbor. Stayed in Candlewood Suites first time and this time opted for Best Western. Much better all around - larger lobby, complimentary breakfast, accomodating staff and cookies in the afternoon! The stairway layout is perplexing so I mostly used elevator. Would stay here again if and when I need to return to Oak Harbor. My stay was 3 days and I would easily have been confortable staying longer.

Room Tip: I asked for and was offered a second floor room on the back side of the hotel. Nice and relatively q...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
#2 of 4 in Oak Harbor
Harbor Inn
Harbor Inn
#1 of 1 in Freeland

Been to Best Western Plus Oak Harbor Hotel and Conference Center? Share your experiences!