“Great activity for kids”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Boulder Cave Trail

Boulder Cave Trail
Ranked #2 of 4 things to do in Naches
More attraction details
Owner description: Located in the Naches Ranger District, this is an easy hiking trail that is less than a mile in length.
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 29 helpful votes
“Great activity for kids”
Reviewed July 18, 2012

Boulder cave is about 45 minutes from Yakima making it a very accessible activity. It is also higher in elevation making it cooler during the summer. There is a nice parking lot ($8 a car I think) with bathrooms. The trail is wide and smooth although somewhat steep for those of us not in shape. There are many viewpoints and great photo opportunities. You WILL see lots of wildlife along the trail.

The cave itself is very easy to walk through. They have made the path flat and wide. There are many nooks and crannies to climb up into that are completely safe for kids so they can really have fun without the parents worrying too much. There is also a stream running through the cave which is fun to cross by hopping from rock to rock. There area few nooks on the other side of the stream to explore but not much. The entire cave is not very long (think short tunnel) and you could almost follow the main trail without a flashlight although I don't recommend this.

Behind the cave are a bunch of large boulders and fallen trees that you can climb over to reach "Devil Falls" which is a small waterfall and pool of water. Most of the time you will find families taking pictures of their kids but once I found teenagers in their underwear having a good time (oh to be young). You can climb behind the falls if you are careful and there are multiple ways to go through the boulders and back to the cave so you can spend some real time playing here.

If you are really adventurous there are two other option. One you could continue on up the hill from the cave to other destinations. Two, you can actually walk the stream path all the way back down the hill to your car. This is an adventure for the young and healthy.

Overall a great experience and I've been there many times with friends and family.

Visited October 2011
4 Thank Dave C

Kennewick, Washington, United States
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“awesome adventure!”
Reviewed July 15, 2012

Since I was a little kid I have gone hiking to boulder cave. I have fond memories of it. I have now started making those memories with my two sons. If you go remember a flashlight, but be careful not to shine it upwards because you can desturb the bats that live there. The ranger station has really improved the hike and added some wooden structures to help you out. Next to the cave to the right is a little climb to a beautiful waterful. If you are adventurous you can also hike down the creek to the fanny slides and end up down by the trail head. You will also pass through one more small cave-we always called it the witches cave-not sure why:). I love, love, love this hike.

Visited August 2011
3 Thank Nicole C
Yakima, Washington
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 40 helpful votes
“This was out of the way for our trip, but well worth it!”
Reviewed January 27, 2012

OK, I sometimes see something interesting on the map and take diversions to check them out. My family gives me grief about this, but this particular diversion was a real winner with everyone! The hike is short (although it has some uphill sections) but the cave tour is well worth the effort. Since we made this diversion unplanned, we did not have a flashlight with us. I thought, no big deal, most caves are not that dark or long anyway (at least the portions they let families into) - not true with Boulder Cave. We tried to make our way by feeling along with our feet, but it was pitch black in there. Finally we just waited until another group came along and piggy-backed on their light.

This little diversion was well worth it. In our remembrances of the vacation we often speak of this little side trip and one of the highlights.

Visited September 2011