“The service felt a bit forced”
Review of Il Granaio

Il Granaio
Ranked #5 of 130 Restaurants in Mount Vernon
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed June 21, 2012

2.5 stars rounded up to three. Several reasons why.

Overall, the service felt a bit forced, as though someone had locked up our server's family and the only way they could go free was if she waited tables all night. She was mostly polite and mostly cordial, but definitely not friendly nor engaged in the least.

We ordered soup (tomato), salad (Insalata del Granaio: mixed baby greens tossed in our balsamic vinaigrette, served with crumbled Gorgonzola, tomatoes and pistachios) and pasta (Bucatini Amatriciana: bucatini pasta sautéed in a spicy tomato sauce, with onion and pancetta, topped with parmesan). The tomato soup was simply out of this world. Amazing. One of the best I've ever tasted. If I were to rate Il Granaio on that alone, it'd be 5+ stars. The tough thing is, it went downhill from there.

The salad arrived and was delicious. The thing is, it was also way overpriced for what it was. Greens, vinaigrette, an eighth of a tomato, a tablespoon each of pistachios and gorgonzola and it was $13. Hmm.

Next up, the bucatini Amatriciana. I need to preface this by saying that we fell in love with bucatini all'Amatriciana in Rome. We also found a place in Portland who makes a great one, and I make it at home often now, too. So, we do know our preferences in this particular dish. The bucatini itself was about twice the normal circumference, which tripped us up a bit, as that was new. The other thing (and yes, this is my own weird quirk) was the onions. Most often, the onion is grated and incorporated into the sauce - this, I love, as I cannot stand onions unless they are well-hidden and adding flavor but not seen. These onions, while beautifully caramelized, were nevertheless solid and so I picked them out and the hubs ate them all. Perhaps because I picked out the savory aspect of the onions, the remaining tomato sauce was way too sweet and the teeny-tiny three bits of smoky pancetta were not enough in volume to counteract the pure sweet of the sauce. To be fair, I believe that if the onions were Vitamixed after caramelization and then incorporated into the sauce, that may have made a difference and produced a well-rounded dish. The way it was presented, however, lacked flavor with the exception of overly-sweet tomato. Serious bummer as all'Amatriciana is not seen on a lot of menus so we order it whenever we do find it. And the price of this dish was a bit steep as well, almost $20 for a pasta dish (and no, the three bits of pancetta DO NOT count as a proper protein in the dish). Maybe because it is in Mount Vernon, not really close to a major city? But then again, they do have a Costco so the town's big enough. I don't understand the pricing but did leave feeling that we'd been taken advantage of.

Reviewed June 5, 2012

I look forward to going here every year on my birthday. This year was no different. We were seated right away, though it was a Friday night and the restaurant was very crowded. Our server came over right away, and brought us wine and took our order. Our food came out promptly and was piping hot and delicious. I always enjoy the chicken parmesan, which is sliced thin, lightly breaded and fantastic! It also comes with a healthy portion of pasta with a wonderful sauce. My leftovers were enough to take home and enjoy for the two days! The service at Il Granaio is always great - water glasses are refilled frequently and dinner dishes are cleared quickly, and food taken away and boxed for your. I'm so thankful there is such a great restaurant in Mt. Vernon, where it seems your only choices anymore are chain restaurants. Il Granaio makes authentic Italian food, and is comparable or more reasonably priced than any chain - and the experience is a million times better.

Reviewed April 30, 2012

I've eaten here three times now - once for lunch and twice as business dinners. It's the best restaurant in Skagit County in my opinion, especially for Italian food. Service and food are everything you'd expect in a fine-dining restaurant. Decor is more casual, but very nicely done in an old historic building that used to be a grain elevator (hence the name). I'm not a wine afficianado so can't speak to the wine list, except that the Reisling I had was good. Waiters are very knowledgeable about the menu and make excellent recommendations. For the business dinners we were seated in a private room. Staff was attentive but not intrusive. I highly recommend this restaurant.

1  Thank Robin S
Reviewed March 13, 2012

We've been here many times over the years, and always have an excellent meal. They have the best filet mignon hands down, and now make their own pasta and raviolis. Gluten-free pasta is also now available, I've been told, which my son was glad to hear. We love the ambiance in that old building, and the staff is always great. We're so glad there is still some decent dining in Skagit County that isn't a chain!

1  Thank Ann98284
Reviewed March 2, 2012

On a drive from Seattle to Vancouver, BC we decided to stop at this restaurant for no other reason than we didn't know the area and it was listed on the exit sign (always a gamble...). We were pleasantly surprised with the ambiance and nice selection of lunch dishes. I started with the caesar salad, which was very nice and the homemade caesar delicious. For lunch, we had the pork and spinach ravioli and blackened salmon salad. Both were very good and well-flavored. The service was attentive and fast and overall, we had a good experience.

1  Thank CO_sojourner