“Not very authentic”

Ranked #50 of 126 Restaurants in Mount Vernon
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Description: We are a casual family restaurant. Our food is unique. We have been serving Skagit Valley since 1965. Some of our most popular dishes are Chimichangas, Smothered Burritos, and Enchiladas. Our up and coming food favorites are Rellenos, Tamales, Street tacos, and Deluxe Burrtito. Our food is made from the finest ingredients. Every item is made from scratch. We are kid friendly and accomdate large parties. Our staff is some of the best in the valley. We take reservations of any size.
Burlington, Washington
“Not very authentic”
Reviewed May 25, 2013

I know a lot of locals that think this place serves the best Mexican food around. To me their food is Mexican in style but not prepared in an authentic way and is suited for people that don't know any better. Their rice, beans and salsa provided with chips lack any substantial flavor. Recommend passing on the tamales unless you like corn bread type masa stuffed with very little filling. Chicken enchiladas are ok.

Visited May 2013
2 Thank 1wraspir
Merrymex, Owner at Mexico Cafe, responded to this review, May 27, 2013
Authentic is a loaded word. We are a Mexican Restaurant who serves home made food. Our authenticity comes from my mom's cooking. You can not compare us to any local Mexican Restaurant, we have a totally different style. Our table salsa is a simple salsa which was developed for our 1965 customers, which at the time could not handle much spice. We do however have a variety of salsas to choose from. I would recommend "Angelas salsa" because it is spicy and flavorful. Lots of times if you quiz our servers they can lead you the right way when ordering food or needing some advice on the menu. We have some of the best servers in the valley. Thank you for your impute. This will help us better serve you in the future.

Adolph Rivas
Owner/Chef
Mexico Cafe

Mount Vernon, Washington
“Good on our visit.”
Reviewed January 3, 2013

I read a multitude of reviews for this restaurant, and can only give my opinion.
We arrived about 5:30PM for dinner, the place was quite full for that time, were seated right away, waitress arrived promptly, & took our order.
It seemed like 20 minutes for our meals to arrive, and the servings are huge.
The food was very good, more then enough to eat.
No complaints about anything.
The service was good, the bill was correct, prices are reasonable, we will very likely return.
The booths are dated, with tape to cover a tear in the seat, it looks like it has been sometime since it was updated, but also acceptable.
There are a lot of Mexican restaurants in town, and would say this is our favorite, after this visit. I can go to a fancier restaurant, but that does not mean its better.

• Visited January 2013
Lake Elmo, Minnesota
“Decidedly a disappointment”
Reviewed October 25, 2012

I've been to the Mexico Cafe in Mt. Vernon several times over the years, and it's usually a decent place. Good food, pretty authentic, good prices and service. The last few times, though, have been a disappointment and I won't be returning. My latest meal there took almost an hour to arrive, was less than stellar, and the service was poor. Added to that, our bill was so messed up that it took the staff almost half an hour to get it straightened out. I still think we were overcharged, but I was so sick of waiting that I just left. I'll be finding a more authentic restaurant in Mt. Vernon in the future.

• Visited October 2012
Seattle, Washington
“Best Place for large groups of 20 or more.. don't miss happy hour”
Reviewed June 28, 2012

Looking for a casual get together with family or friends.. Need a place to host 20 or more for dinner in a festive setting. This is the place that can cater to your needs with good service. Be sure to arrive during happy hour.. It is amazing how they can quickly brings the meals out at the same time to serve your table of 20.. with everyone ordering something different. Best margaritas in town! The Chili Verde is hot!...

• Visited June 2012
Washington State
“Slightly greasy. Not the best.”
Reviewed March 24, 2012

Stereotypical Americanized Mexican food, not very creatively done. They tend to slather melted cheese on everything, and it's a bit greasy, very heavy. Not fresh or light. Not the best. No atmosphere. Convenient location if you're heading to or from the islands.

• Visited January 2012