“Favorite place to eat locally”

Calico Cupboard Old Town Cafe & Bakery
Ranked #2 of 129 Restaurants in Mount Vernon
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: We are a "made from scratch" cafe & bakery celebrating over 36 years in business.
Reviewed August 17, 2013

This is my favorite restaurant to meet friends or take out-of-town visitors. They serve only breakfast and lunch, which are my favorite meals to eat out anyway, so it works for me. The food is wonderful fresh, mostly local, with enough variety to please everyone's palette, and the bakery offers fabulous breads and sweets. It's in an historic brick building with open beams and lots of character. I've never used the outdoor seating so can't speak about that, and there's no bar. It's family-friendly, seating is usually fairly quick (no reservations that I know of) and it's just a fun place to eat great food. Good options for vegetarians as well as omnivores. In winter there's a fireplace and some cozy tables for two. I see one very negative review and am surprised. I've tried several different entrees from the breakfast and lunch menus and found the food to be always delicious, and I'm pretty picky when eating out.

Reviewed August 13, 2013

I rarely give a bad review. We were traveling, saw lots of cars parked at Calico Cupboard so figured we could not go wrong. Signed in and waited our turn for a table. Could have chosen from several tempting dishes, but wanted comfort food, so we both ordered the Turkey Pot Pie, mine with salad, my friend ordered the Clam Chowder. It looked good when it came, but the first bite tasted like vinegar. Not just the crust, but the filling as well. My friend couldn't eat hers so it was taken away and replaced with a 1/2 turkey sandwich, which was just so so. She said her Clam Chowder was ok, but nothing spectacular. My salad was looking wilted around the edges, and it was barely after noon. I did not replace the pot pie, as I had ordered what I wanted and couldn't think of anything else to replace it with. Each bite was worse than the previous, and I could not finish it. I felt like throwing up by the time I left and was sick the rest of the day and most of the next. I may have tried the Apple Dumpling or the other baked goods, but was not brave enough to chance another bad choice.
My niece said this was one of her favorite restaurants, but she has mostly had the breakfasts, which are served all day. She warned me too late about the Pot Pie. I would not go here again, nor could I recommend it to anyone else. Too bad really, it could have been good if the food was better. You would think that a bakery would do a better job.

Reviewed August 9, 2013

Have wanted to stop here for so many years, finally had the opportunity today on the way home from a day of shopping. The bakery items and homemade breads were amazing. The atmosphere is very quaint and nice. The portions were a good size and prices reasonable given that everything is scratch made. Will definitely stop in again

Reviewed July 29, 2013 via mobile

This is my kind of place. They had traditional items for my husband and good variety for me. I had an egg hash with chicken sausage and veggies. It was excellent. Their fresh baked bread was wonderful toasted with homemade jam. Yum! Our two year old ate her whole plate (eggs and toast). The adjoining shop was fun to peruse and amazing bakery items! We will come back on our next visit to Skagit Co!

Reviewed July 29, 2013

We had lunch at the Calico Cupboard after it was recommended by Best Western staff. We ordered 2 beers, and salads with grilled chicken. The bread that accompanied the salad was wonderful and slightly sweetened butter was so good. The salad was very good...... but for 13.99 was awfully small... only real complaint was we never saw a table wiped off after the dishes were removed.... hope they change that!~!