“Satisfactory for a short stay.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Tulip Inn Mt. Vernon

Tulip Inn Mt. Vernon
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Mount Vernon
British Columbia
“Satisfactory for a short stay.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2014

Stayed 2 nights with out of country friends. They booked months ago and were on a budget.

The staff was excellent and accommodated all of our needs , Breakfast was included and had to be eaten in your rooms as there is just a counter service. No problems , food was plentiful and refreshed frequently.Motel rooms very clean , beds comfortable, great location. Cons. very thin walls , could hear people talking , toilets flushing etc. No smoking rooms ,however lots of smokers sitting just outside their rooms and A/C brought the smoke into our rooms.

Lower budget motel = lower clientele= keep your vehicle locked at all times

Room Tip: stay away from any room that backs onto the freeway
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 4 of 5 stars
    • 5 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Susanville
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2014

This property is as advertised and better in some ways. I expected a clean room with friendly check in, that was all. Free wifi, Fridge and Microwave in room, ice machine never ran out of ice. The wifi was also fact and never has problems like so often happens in larger properties.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank This_Hotel_Guy
Portland, Oregon, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2014

I booked a room for one night at the Tulip Inn through booking.com. Booking.com's cancellation policy for the Tulip Inn was 48 hours in advance. I accepted that policy when I booked the room. I had an unexpected change of events and had to cancel my room the day of the reservation.

Since I was canceling day of, I called the Tulip Inn directly to let them know and to explain that I did not know until that morning that I needed to cancel. I explained that booking.com would not let me cancel online, so I was giving them a courtesy call to let them know that I would not show up.

The woman I spoke with on the phone was incredibly unpleasant and rude. I did not ask for a refund, I just simply said that I could not cancel on booking.com and was voluntarily calling to let them know that I would not need the room. The woman insisted on yelling at me that the policy for booking.com is that you cannot cancel and I would have to pay for the room. I repeatedly told her that I understood and I was merely letting them know. The yelling continued until I finally hung up.

About an hour later booking.com called me to confirm that I actually wanted to cancel the room. I told them yes and then learned that it is up to THE HOTEL and not booking.com to waive the room fee when someone cancels within 48 hours. The booking.com representative let me know that she asked the woman at Tulip Inn twice if she would waive the fee and the woman refused twice.

I am not submitting this review because I believe the room fee should be waived, I am submitting this because if you are going to get treated that rudely and disrespectfully over the phone when making a VOLUNTARY COURTESY call, then I can only imagine how one will be treated when actually staying there.

I now know the Tulip Inn is not a place I will ever book a room with again.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
4 Thank IcePixie70
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2014

Stayed more than one day, they refused to service the room during the stay, but I guess I could take the towels to a laundromat? Lots of luck with this one. By the way, no discount for the lack of service.

Room Tip: With the lack of service, its not much value to me.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
3 Thank Mike F
Friday Harbor, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2014

I have stayed at the Tulip Inn on many occasions. The rooms are nice and clean but a bit outdated as is typical in hotels of this price range. That said, the towels are nice, the sheets ARE NOT threadbare and amenities are nice. The coffee is even decent. People are great, friendly and helpful. Also nice to be across the street from Walmart.

Downsides? Sure. Issue #1: buildings next door use sodium vapor (yellowish) lamps to light their properties after dark. The back window in the kitchenette room has no shade and the light shines in all night. Easy fix for them. Issue #2, not so easily fixed: trains rumbling by in the middle of the night. Not super loud but disturbing enough. Issue#3: freeway noise. Nuffield said.

Winter rates here are lowest of the season and Tulip Inn is a great bargain. Not so much in the summer when tourists flood the area and rates skyrocket... But they do that all over the area.

Summary: recommended as a good, clean place to stay in a great location at a very reasonable price. I shall return (again)

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
      Location
4 Thank FriDave
Tucson AZ
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

Good option for those looking for a respectable two star motel in Mt. Vernon. I did a little homework before I booked this room using Booking.com, and I was not disappointed. I booked a single queen, but when I got there, they didn't have any. However, they gave me a double queen for the same price, so I cannot complain. The price was right and the room was clean. The continental breakfast was reasonable. On the other hand, the toilet ran constantly, had to close door to sleep. The hotel could benefit from a remodel. The location is right off the highway, but personally I would have preferred it be slightly further off to mitigate road noise.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars
      Location
1 Thank FirstOnes
Federal Way, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013 via mobile

We have stayed at the Tulip Inn a couple of times and I can only say that for the price it's a great place. Staff is friendly and the rooms are clean and comfortable. Two twin beds, a microwave and a refrigerator. My wife loved the shower, lots of hot water and ample pressure. The AC worked well all night long. Despite being completely full I didn't notice any real noise from other guests. You can hear a bit of freeway noise in the bathroom at night, but I didn't notice any in the main sleeping area. Convenient freeway access and there's a number of restaurants nearby. We'll definitely return here again!

Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
#5 of 5 in Mount Vernon
3.0 of 5 stars 361 reviews
Hampton Inn & Suites Burlington
Candlewood Suites Burlington

Been to Tulip Inn Mt. Vernon? Share your experiences!