“Nice but a bit noisy and bright” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Tulip Inn Mt. Vernon

Tulip Inn Mt. Vernon
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Mount Vernon
Friday Harbor, Washington
“Nice but a bit noisy and bright”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2014

I have stayed at the Tulip Inn on many occasions. The rooms are nice and clean but a bit outdated as is typical in hotels of this price range. That said, the towels are nice, the sheets ARE NOT threadbare and amenities are nice. The coffee is even decent. People are great, friendly and helpful. Also nice to be across the street from Walmart.

Downsides? Sure. Issue #1: buildings next door use sodium vapor (yellowish) lamps to light their properties after dark. The back window in the kitchenette room has no shade and the light shines in all night. Easy fix for them. Issue #2, not so easily fixed: trains rumbling by in the middle of the night. Not super loud but disturbing enough. Issue#3: freeway noise. Nuffield said.

Winter rates here are lowest of the season and Tulip Inn is a great bargain. Not so much in the summer when tourists flood the area and rates skyrocket... But they do that all over the area.

Summary: recommended as a good, clean place to stay in a great location at a very reasonable price. I shall return (again)

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
4 Thank FriDave

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Tucson AZ
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

Good option for those looking for a respectable two star motel in Mt. Vernon. I did a little homework before I booked this room using Booking.com, and I was not disappointed. I booked a single queen, but when I got there, they didn't have any. However, they gave me a double queen for the same price, so I cannot complain. The price was right and the room was clean. The continental breakfast was reasonable. On the other hand, the toilet ran constantly, had to close door to sleep. The hotel could benefit from a remodel. The location is right off the highway, but personally I would have preferred it be slightly further off to mitigate road noise.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank FirstOnes
Federal Way, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013 via mobile

We have stayed at the Tulip Inn a couple of times and I can only say that for the price it's a great place. Staff is friendly and the rooms are clean and comfortable. Two twin beds, a microwave and a refrigerator. My wife loved the shower, lots of hot water and ample pressure. The AC worked well all night long. Despite being completely full I didn't notice any real noise from other guests. You can hear a bit of freeway noise in the bathroom at night, but I didn't notice any in the main sleeping area. Convenient freeway access and there's a number of restaurants nearby. We'll definitely return here again!

Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank PhotoTravelerDan
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

Exit 227 College Way Mount Vernon, easy access to I5 North and South, Burlington Outlets close by and Seattle Premium outlets 25 minutes away. Parking is easily accessible. The room had two queen size beds clean bedding, ample room for 2 adults and 2 kids, nice clean washroom. The bonus perk was having a free continental breakfast in the morning. I would stay there again best dollar value for accommodations, got a good nights rest.

Room Tip: Higher Floor
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank J T
Calgary, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

After traveling for about 20 days on a motorcycle and having a fair share of crappy hotel rooms, this place was a nice surprise. We knew we had hit the right spot the minute we started chatting with the sweet girl at the front desk. She knew customer service and was very good at it. We had not had that in alot of the places we stayed. The room was great, the bed was wonderful. She had assured us that they had nice new pillow top mattresses and she was right! The breakfast was more than we had seen at most hotels and the coffee was actually good with real cream! All in all I would highly recommend this nice motel and ask for Leeza if you are in doubt!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank TJ G
Vancouver, BC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013

We bought tires in Burlington so we booked this place for an overnight stay. It was clean, the bed was comfortable, the shower was good and and the breakfast was satisfactory. Good value for your dollar.

Room Tip: We asked for a room away from the highway.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank oleVancouverBC
Anacortes, Washington
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

I'm not 100% sure if it is me, or if this place has gone downhill a tad. Tulip Inn used to be a motel that I stayed at once every few months while in town. When in town, I simply need a comfortable place to sleep, and so I'm always looking for a bargain. I hesitate to write a negative review because the staff has always been so great. But the last two times I stayed there, the rooms seemed more run down and stuffy than I remembered. The walls seemed thinner, the noise louder, and the other guests let kids run loose until after midnight knocking on doors and being loud. Obviously this isn't the managers fault, but I'm going to be honest and say it seemed like a "rougher neighborhood" than it used to be. While struggling with these feelings, the person at the front desk kind of came down on me about how I managed to get such a good rate. Wow. As if it was my fault and I tricked them. Apparently I was mistakenly given a "truck driver" rate ($59) when she said I should pay $75 (they still honored the $59 rate). Funny thing is the side of the building shows $64--not $75 Anyway, she left me feeling like I had done something wrong, although she did finally apologize for coming down on me. So the lack of sleep, holes in the walls, unrepaired curtains, noise, stuffy rooms, rate confusion...I'm on the search for my new regular place. (But most of the staff there is great!)

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Cocusa Motel
Cocusa Motel
#5 of 6 in Burlington
3.0 of 5 stars 63 reviews

Been to Tulip Inn Mt. Vernon? Share your experiences!