“Water in the desert...warm swimming good fishing.”

Potholes State Park
Ranked #2 of 16 things to do in Moses Lake
More attraction details
Owner description: This state park is popular for birdwatching, swimming and camping.
Reviewed January 7, 2012

These a re holes inthe rock left after the draining of lake Missoula at the end of the last ice Age. Very sunny with good beaches. Many campsites but do not expect facilities!

4  Thank pterbd
in 8 reviews
"summer"
in 6 reviews

Reviewed August 3, 2011

Seattle had given us the worst summer so far for weather, so we were on a mission to escape wet and grey for land of bright and dry. We came home suntanned, relaxed, chewed up by mosquitoes (well not me but on one of my daughters and my husband), and wishing we had done a little more swimming.

3 tips-
1) Bring mosquito repellent, sunblock, and Benedryl. The store was out of Benedryl and we needed it for a bug bite on one of our kids.
2) If you are tent camping, camp in the inner circle of the campground where there is shade.
3) Bring earplugs if you plan on sleeping before 11 pm. We had neighbors who were having a great time, bless their hearts, but we were trying to get our wonderful "camping sleep"-you know the deepest kind you only get while camping. My friends said their neighbors were having a very loud and annoying conversation about "that one movie!". But please, read the whole review for an accurate portrayal.

When I camp at a hot dry lake, I like four things- swimming and sunbathing, beautiful natural surroundings, cooking in a comfortable campsite, and having access to a store for beer and ice. Fishing is low on my priority list but my family and friends like to dabble, so everyone was happy here. This is a good lake for all these things, and possesses a desert charm that is not the normal setting for our family camping trips.

The good sandy beaches are quite a way from the State Park- either by boat to the sand dunes that dot the water to the north, or by car on the south east side of the lake. The shoreline in the state park is quite muddy, but we found a little swimming spot just off the campground. It is a bit muddy, there are a lot of people trying to fish there, and there is a STRONG current there.

It's hard to get to the east side beaches because you have to take a series of numbered and lettered roads and then through private property to rough-ish dirt roads. We weren't certain we our cars could handle the roads for a minute there, but we were ok.

I got a map of the lake from the convenience store and asked the nice gal behind the counter for directions to good sandy beaches and she was happy to show my the 3 roads to take you to the dirt road that runs along the shore. I think they were M, K and 6?

I am glad we checked it out, but it was not exactly my speed. It seems like the kind of place that you would go if you had a boat or jet skis or were really into fishing. A pleasant surprise was the variety of birds and their songs. We had fun listening to the birds in the morning. There is a nature preserve nearby that is more like a mosquito zoo, but I heard it was nice. : )

On the way home we drove through Wenatchee, Leavenworth, and up over Highway 2. Stopped in Wenatchee for some fresh picked Rainier cherries that a young man was selling while also doing his school work.

The traffic on 2 was absolutely horrendous, but that area is a spectacular mountain playground and is more my taste, for a reference.

15  Thank Funnfamily