“OK TexMex”
Review of Mi Tierra

Mi Tierra
Ranked #5 of 74 Restaurants in Monroe
Description: Owners Jesus Magaña and his wife Lulis were born in the states of Michoacan and Zacatecas, Mexico and moved to Monroe. They opened their first restaurant, Mi Tierra in February 2001. The restaurant has earned it's way into the heart of locals and visitors who love Mexican food. The restaurant is a family enterprise with a staff of employees that includes family members and a whole bunch of very good friends. Mi Tierra offers an extensive menu of authentic dishes, as well as some healthy vegetarian choices based around green peppers, rice and cheese. The Magaña Family recommends the seafood enchiladas, the carne con camarones, the pollo asado, the milanesa, and many other delicious dishes. "For us, the customer comes first," says the Magaña Family, whose members have been working in the restaurant business for many years storing up ideas for the day when they finally would open their own restaurant. "We will make any request for you even if it is not on the menu; you just have to let us know what you want. We like this business and enjoy so much doing things the old style, where the customer is always our biggest priority." The menu is very authentic but has been changing to keep things interesting.
Reviewed November 20, 2013

This restaurant came highly recommended from the cabin rental company where we stayed for a couple of days in the Stevens Pass area of Washington State. As fans of -Mexican- food, we gave is a shot, and had high expectations. Turns out the restaurant was just average. First off, it's Tex Mex, not Mexican. It wasn't horrible, but there is certainly room for improvement:
(1) the pico de gallo had corn, which I have never seen before. I suppose it's a culinary choice, but not my preference.
(2) The -appetizer- size of the queso fundido con chorizo is the same size and very similar to a entree-listed steak queso. I would suggest varying these two dishes a bit as they are repetitive, not to mention that the appetizer needs to be much smaller. Also, they serve both in a flat clay tray which makes it get cold very quickly. Queso fundido keeps better in a bowl.
(3) I ordered my standard, steak tacos, which are a very straight forward dish. Still, the corn tortillas were inexplicably fried and thus greasy and the steak was so overcooked it tasted like charcoal in parts. I did not finish the dish, and I had come into the restaurant famished.

Bottom line, the restaurant is average, and maybe they were having a bad day, but it certainly did not live up to the rave reviews that the cabin company gave it.

Reviewed November 16, 2013

While traveling through the area my husband and I decided to try this restaurant. The person greeting us was pleasant so we had high hopes. Those were quickly dashed. The waiter acted like he could careless while taking our order. Our food came and my husband, who ordered fajitas, asked the waiter if all the plate was hot or is there a spot he could touch to move it around. The waiter looked annoyed we were asking a question. There was some sort of sauce on the fajitas that made it very sweet tasting. I ordered the steak and shrimp. The description on the menu was the shrimp came in a garlic sauce. The red sauce it came in was sweet and no taste of garlic. The shrimp were also not cleaned very well. The back vain was still attached which looked not appetizing. The waiter did not come to check on us during our whole stay. My husband tracked down one of the busperson to get a refill for my diet soda. Then my husband had to get up and go towards the back to get a refill of water. A man who appeared to be a manager was to busy laughing and talking to the wait staff to clue in to the fact customers were being neglected. Normally I asked to speak to the manager in this case I don't think it would have done any good.

When it came time for the bill another busperson went to get our check and when he returned she was also carrying cleaning supplies and getting the check container wet. Normally my husband and I always give a great tip. This time however was the first time we didn't because we felt as though the service was non existent from the waiter. I know that we will never be going to this restaurant again.

Reviewed November 14, 2013 via mobile

Pretty average with highs and lows. Warm chips with great pico de gallo but watery salsa. Limited beer selection. My husbands burrito was terrible and the plate was full of water. My sopita with carne asada was delicious. Good service. Monroe is not exactly a food meca and I would probably not return.

Reviewed March 14, 2013

Great food, their pork fajitas are the best around, the favor is excellent. Hard for me to order anything else when I'm there. Service has always been good. The atmosphere is great at least downstairs, plenty of room between the tables so you don't feel like canned sardines. Parking out front is a bit tight, but plenty of room behind the restuarant.

Reviewed March 5, 2013 via mobile

Not sure how you can make Huevos Rancheros taste like a plate of cold cardboard, but this place actually did it.

As bland a plate of Huevos as I've ever had. Must have been cooked the week before and just taken out of the freezer.

Chips, beer and salsa OK.