“Hidden Gem”
Review of Monroe Motel

Monroe Motel
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Monroe
Reviewed February 10, 2013

Great motel in its price range. Room was clean and quiet. Check-in was easy and courteous.
Don't let the initial looks of the place fool you. Great bargain. Pick a room the backs onto the creek. Motel is off the main highway but close to resturants and the Evergreen State Fairgrounds.

Room Tip: Piick a room that backs onto the creek at the back of the property.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Retired56

Reviewed August 5, 2012

If you are looking for a Hilton type room Monroe Motel is not they place for you. But...when looking for a quiet, reasonably priced room it was spot on. I was looking for a hotel/motel close to my daughter for a couple day visit. Being from Nebraska and on a very tight budget the other hotels in the area were over $100 a night. I was crushed thinking I would need to drive from another town for daily visits. Then I found the Monroe Motel and was delighted to know I would only be a few miles away from my daughter and her family. I was traveling alone and Larry made me feel right at home and comfortable with my stay and encouraged me to call if I needed anything.
I kept up with my work emails with the a great connection on their free WiFi. The room was very clean and neat. Heck the bathtub has better water pressure than my own home.
As I said if you are looking for a hotel with "all the amenities" this is not the place, but if you need a room to lay your head with peace and quiet this IS the place.
Yes there is a mobile home park adjacent to the property, but it was well maintained and I had no troubles at all.
I am so glad I found the Monroe Motel and will plan on staying here again when I return for future visits.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank rzmoose
ABVISeatac, Manager at Monroe Motel, responded to this reviewResponded August 7, 2012

Dear Guest - Thank you for your review, we are very happy to see that our location not only fit your needs but in such enjoyable fashion. Our goal is to treat all of our clients as personal guests and the entire staff is there to assist as needed. We cant wait to see you return in the future for your family visits!

Reviewed April 6, 2012

I enjoy most reviews about this Motel but I think "motel at it's end " should give it another try. I have lived in Monroe & years now and I never really gave this Motel a chance. I checked on line for another Motel in Monroe and they didn't even have a website. I found Monroe Motel and they even had pics on the rooms. When my husband and I went by with r kids they let us check the room out first. My kids needed a no smoking room and when u walked in it smelled very pleasant. It had a great view of the river, a small fridge and very clean. All u need for a restful night. The manger was very helpful thanked my son for his service and let them know to call if they needed anything. The Rv's etc might not make it look good but just drive in chat a bit and check out the rooms. You will be pleased. When my son and wife visit they will stay here and my husband and I already making plans to get away and this is where we will stay. Take a top paying room in Monroe with a dead pool or take a better priced room with a river view.

Room Tip: Any room on left or right of office have a great river view
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank mndsheridan
Reviewed September 21, 2011

I stayed at the Monroe Motel in mid-August. I was a spectator at the Lake Stevens Ironman and did not want to pay twice the amount at some hotel in Everett. I was a tad leery because of the price. The standard 1-queen room was listed as $59 online. However, because I was staying solo, the price automatically dropped by $5...sweet!

I want to make you aware of this: when I pulled into the driveway, I seriously thought about not checking in. The Motel shares land with a mobile-home park...and that is the FIRST thing you see. As a woman traveling alone, my instinct was telling me this was an unsafe situation. HOWEVER, to cut to the chase, my stay was absolutely fine. There were no issues with the people who live/hang out in that part of the property...no loud or drunk voices late at night and no creepy lurkers. There is plenty of space, too, away from that area.

When I arrived at the office, I was told that my room wasn't quite ready. Rather than making me wait, they switched me to an end room with 2 queens....no price change, of course. It's a single-level building so no thuds from people above or below. My car was parked right outside my room. The room, itself, was very clean, roomy, and QUIET. I had to get up super early, so the black-out shades were great. I enjoyed opening the back slider to listen to the little creek. The bathroom wasn't roomy but was very clean and had nice toiletries.

I will stay at the Monroe again if I go to next year's Ironman. I didn't read about the Mobile Home park here in any comments I read pre-trip, so I was not prepared for that and wanted you to have a heads' up about it. Lots of restaurants, lower-priced gas stations, etc...and NOT located on a busy main road.

Room Tip: Ask for a room against the creek.
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled solo
11  Thank NowImHere
Reviewed January 11, 2011

Just wanted to write about this motel. I stayed a few nights, and thought the manager was a very pleasent person. They pointed out good places to eat. The room was very clean, the room had sliding glass doors, it had a great view of the creek behind the motel. The managers where very helpful with anything we needed and answered any question we had. They had menus in office for local resurerants. It was a very quiet motel and very pleasent to stay at. Just had an awesome time . It is a great and inexpensive little motel on the river in monroe, wa. The rooms are very clean and large, plenty of room. I would certainly stay again!

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled with friends
4  Thank sugarbear50
Reviewed December 18, 2010

All motels in Monroe appear to be way overpriced, and this old place is no exception. It's likely the lowest price you'll see in you search of this area, as it should be. Manager at check-in was pleasant, but he was wearing a dirty T-shirt and trousers. The room's door was secured only with a doorknob lock, no deadbolt or even one of those chains. I saw that the latchbolt only entered the door casing a quarter inch. That's all that keeps someone from putting their shoulder to the door and strutting right in. The room, which I'd estimate to be 110 square feet, smelled strongly of the salmon-colored paint on every wall. The lights are a few different old types, some attached to the wall in odd places. The single queen bed's mattress was replaced with a full-size laid on the queen box spring, so you have these edges of the old queen box spring sticking out on both sides of the mattres by several inches. I don't wish to speculate what happened to the mattress that was previously there. The room was advertised as having one queen bed, but if the sleeping surface is a full, then you figure it out. The heater was a small fan-forced electric mounted on/in the wall. The heater turned on and off all night. Guests & friends from neighboring rooms hung out outside the door in the parking lot, talking and smoking well after midnight while the TV in their room was on. And on. There's a #10 can available as a ashtray outside each door. Sometime overnight, a car alarm went off. Since there were only 4-5 rooms per building, there were only three cars in our part of the lot, so it was one of the other two that brought me out of my semi-sleep. The desk in the room is a table, and it's chair is an old wooden kitchen chair. The bathroom contained three little flower=shaped soaps, and you could see light through the towels. The shower head was leaking and no amount of adjusting could get a real spray out of it. The shower head eventually blew off the end of the pipe. My wife's blow dryer would not work when plugged into the NON- GFCI outlet in the bathroom. Because of so many shortcomings, we did not feel confident that the carpet was adequately clean for use without slippers. The free internet signal in our room was poor to the point it was unusable. Much of this motel's property is occupied by monthly RV space rentals - old trailers and accompanying clunkers. The old Toyota pickup across from our room had an oil drip pan under it. It's only a matter of time before all of the Monroe Motel's patrons will be month-to-month renters. I cannot believe it is carried on the travel websites as a viable option for travelers. It is 30-50% overpriced.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Willtradesnow4sand
Reviewed June 15, 2010

Have been staying at this hotel every year to visit family and just love the setting! Rooms have been recently remodeled, and some have sliding glass doors that show the view of the creek running behind the hotel. Location is far enough from main road and is very quiet. There is also always someone in the office which made checking in and out very convenient.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank cielita84
Also consider these accommodations in or near Monroe
Best Western Sky Valley Inn
Fairground Inn
Fairground Inn
#4 of 5 in Monroe
Evergreen Inn and Suites

Been to Monroe Motel? Share your experiences!