“It was mediocre and the gave my wife and I food poisoning”
Review of The Islander

The Islander
Ranked #17 of 49 Restaurants in Mercer Island
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed March 11, 2011

They gave me food poisoning. Seriously. Then they told me I couldn't prove it was them, so they would not give me my money back.

I had a mediocre view of the Islander the first time I ate there. The halibut I had and shared with my wife was pretty good but had way to much beer battering. Immediately after eating their we both felt a little uneasy. Then at about 3 am the next morning my wife and I woke up with food poisoning. I puked my guts out for the next 16 hours. It was two full days later until i could eat again.

I called a few days later to ask for my money back (it was almost $50 for both of us, talk about overpriced!) I spoke to Samantha, a manager there. She was apolgetic and offered to give me a gift card. Obviously having just spent the last three days bedridden, I wasn't in a hurry to go back to eat at the Islander. I told her I would rather they just refund the meal. She said she would check with their office and call me back the next morning.

The next morning no one called. That night I called back and spoke to Samantha again. She told me there was no possible way to refund our money. She said that the cook (who apparently runs things?) told her that there was no way we could prove it was them. Then she hung up on me.

I would encourage you to not eat at this place. I don't even care about my money anymore. It just sucks that some people are jerks.

3  Thank AaronTheTravelor

Reviewed August 16, 2010

This is "The Islander". Your bill will say "Pleasant Hour" on your credit card statement, but there is no direct way to have TripAdvisor correct the error.

This is a great bar. The staff is attentive and conversational, and the view is great. That view is available on a patio during some parts of the year. They'll make any drink you can name, and the beer specials are great during happy hour. The bar is easily separate from the bar, and it's not impossible to entertain the family at the restaurant while the bar is at its loudest.

The main problem is the menu, which tries to hard to find interesting hits without actually getting on base. There are a couple of entrees worth trying, and the weekly steak or stroganoff (beef stew, sometimes) specials are excellent. But there are no comfort foods: nachos, tater tots, chef's salad, club sandwich, and so on -- are all absent on the menu. In their stead are entrees with marginally executed sauces or combinations, mostly unappealing to the common crowd.

I don't hesitate to recommend this restaurant because of its staff, and its ability to accommodate family dining. (The kids menu is great!) The lack of pub fare stop it from being an enjoyable neighborhood hangout, despite the fact that the restaurant bills itself as a "sports bar".