“Big Cats and a Good Cause”

Cat Tales Zoological Park
Ranked #1 of 9 things to do in Mead
Reviewed May 13, 2014

This place is very small and subsists almost entirely on donations. Most of the cats are Tigers but there are also Lions, Cougars, Pumas, and a few other cats. They give the larger cats larger cages and they are trying to expand. The more people visit and the more they donate the larger the enclosures become. They have room to expand but not the funds to do so.
These cats were not brought here in order to be showcased they are all rescue cats that cannot survive out in the wild, because they lack the survival abilities they would have gained if they were brought up in the wild.
By visiting Cat Tales you not only get to see Large Cats in the Spokane Area, but you're also helping a good cause finance the rescue and care of them.

5  Thank Mahonosferatu

Reviewed October 29, 2013

I am not prone to visit 'zoos' normally, so this is probably an unfair review.

Stuck between the Newport Highway and railroad tracks Cat Tales has limited space. The cages were clean but small, and the cats are big. I asked about the limited amount of space and was told that since the animals were given their meals they no longer required space to run. Really? Other than an occasional ball or large rock nothing was provided for the animals to play with - isn't boredom a cruelty? One cat had lost most of its tail. When asked the young person, leading the tour, replied that this had occurred during a very cold winter and the tail had frozen and later was amputated. However, I was assured, the wooden boxes (no doors) kept them warm because they were packed with straw during the winter. Hmmmm - I know one animal that would beg to differ. Spokane is not a box and straw kind of place most winters.

On the positive side, the students training there are lovely, sincerely involved young people who want to tell each animals' story. They are not lacking. The facility is lacking.

Skip the gift shop. There is a jaw dropping lack of merchandise.

My granddaughter, who was the reason for this adventure, liked Cat Tales and did not have my criticisms. However, we both agreed that Wolf People in Idaho was a truly amazing place. One that even grandma would be willing to revisit.

3  Thank sowhatSpokane
Reviewed September 20, 2013

Very small establishment, took us 10 minutes to walk through the "park" and I believe it was $10 per person. Some animals had large enclosures but a majority of the cats were in small, chain link fence cages. The smaller cats slept in what looked like a chicken coop. I'm usually not one to get worked up about these kinds of things, but I felt bad for those cats.

4  Thank heatherangle
Reviewed August 14, 2013

Upon arriving, I believed the zoo extended behind the cages giving these big cats some freedom to roam. I was wrong! The cages were small, the cats looked sad. The area smelled. While I feel the staff was doing their best with what they have, these large cats need some space!! Our drive back to our campsite was a quiet one.

3  Thank Elizabeth M
Reviewed August 5, 2013

Entrance fee was T-- $10 adults, $8 for students. The "zoo" was very small, it had maybe a dozen cages. Went through the entire place in about an hour and we felt like we took our time. Don't expect Seattle Zoo or anything, its a local, modest, non-profit place providing shelter & food to rescues.

What was a little unnerving was the house cat that the zoo kept on the grounds. We saw him in the gift shop, lounging on the front desk. I was allowed to pet him but when I did, he/she felt emaciated! Literally just skin and bones. But with his fur, you couldn't visibly tell how skinny the house cat was. I could feel every protrusion of his cat skull when I went to scratch the back of his head. Unnerving to me, especially since I have 2 cats of my own...

The cages definitely looked a little small for such large animals but probably was that way due to financial circumstances. It's definitely not a place you plan a trip around, and so gets circumstantial foot traffic.

We had decided to go there after a google search 1 hr prior as we were on our way home after Silverwood Amusement Park

1  Thank JuliaWC C