“Long Term Resident Felt At Home”

Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Marysville
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Marysville
Reviewed October 31, 2012

I stayed at the HIE for for nearly the whole month of September, and when my stay was up, I felt kind of sad leaving here. Why? The staff treated me like family, always playfully asking me 'How was your day, dear?' and "Good morning... I made you breakfast, sleepy head.' They were extremely helpful, always entertaining and provided some normalcy to a long business trip. They even saved me some cookies each day knowing that I returned 'home' a little later than most other guests. Now THAT'S scoring points in my book. I'd like to thank Veronica, Tammy and Mandi for watching out for me.

The hotel was clean, the rooms were nice and the food was very good. They even have To-Go bags for when you don't have to to relax with your free newspaper and eat breakfast. Christy was always a bright and happy face, even at an early morning hour.

I often wondered why with plenty of vacancies, their rate was so high and inflexible. I would think that they'd be willing to negotiate with drop-in guests. I witnessed weary travelers walk in, get a room quote that took them by surprise and walk out never to return. Then again, other weekends they had to turn people away because they were full. I certainly don't claim to know the market up there, but an occupied room is an occupied room.

I will be back in the Everett area again, as my job demands it. And I will opt for HIE Marysville again. After all, it's my home away from home.

Room Tip: I stayed in 402 for the privacy and access to the stairwell, which is ideal for laundry room. The w...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Marysville

Reviewed October 29, 2012

We were in town visiting family members for two nights, three days. At $189 a night, I expected a higher quality experience. Our first night was uneventful except we were told we couldn't leave the door propped open. We were expecting a family member to meet us at our room which is why we left the door open. That was the first time in all of our hotel experience that we were told that it wasn't allowed. We just thought it was odd, but not that big of a deal.

The second night, my mom was hanging out in our room watching TV after we spent the day shopping. Suddenly, we hear a gush of water. My husband, my mom, and I got up from our chairs and quickly looked around. There was a steady rush of water coming from a vent in the ceiling. Luckily, the jacuzzi tub was right under the vet so the water caused no damage to our room. I immediately called the front desk. The front desk person came up to our room, looked at the water (which was starting to slow down), told us that she would contact the engineer, but that we should be ok. Whaaaat?! My mom was concerned about the ceiling caving in. Before the water came rushing into our room, we could hear a lot of stomping and/or jumping in the room above us. The front desk person told us that the room in which the water was coming from was a Honeymoon Suite. They had flooded their room. We thought we could hear that room's jacuzzi tub whirling loudly.

A short time after the front desk person left us in our room, she called to say that the couple upstairs apologized, but that everything should be fine now. Maybe we were expecting too much, but we weren't offered a refund or even given a different room to stay in. We had to deal with the dripping from the vent for several more hours into our tub - the tub that is next to the bed. It was fairly annoying. Then at three in the morning, the honeymooners decided to jump back into their jacuzzi tub. All we could hear was the rumbling from upstairs going on and off, on and off. It didn't help that there were a lot of Halloween party-goers making a lot of noise in the hallway at various times during the night.

I have to say that the breakfast was fabulous! We lucked out both times and avoided the morning rush. The kitchen staff were very friendly and nice.

Check out was easy for the most part. However, as my husband was driving home, the hotel called him to say that his card was declined. He told the woman that he was driving and would have to call him when he got home in three hours. The woman kept asking if he was sure that there was no one else in the car who could pay for our stay at the hotel. I guess it never occurred to the woman that I may have been driving in another car with other family members or that it was possible for my husband to be driving alone. Nevertheless, she made him feel as if he was a liar. To get the woman off the phone so he could concentrate on driving, he told her that he would take the next exit and call her back. By the way, his car picked up the phone call, he wasn't physically holding up his phone to his ear. With the heavy traffic and the rain, he was hesitant to pull over in an unfamiliar place. When he got home, he told me about the hotel calling him.

I called the hotel to figure out what was going on with our card. It turns out that they were trying to charge the card they had on hold for "incidentals". We were asked to provide a card for "incidentals" upon checking in. That particular card has very strict security measures on it since we don't use it very often and we requested that the card not go through with transactions over $200. Apparently, the hotel didn't try to run the card we made the reservation with as I thought they were supposed to. So, the hotel did end up charging the original card while they waited for my husband to call them back, as they should have in the first place.

Unfortunately, with the poor quality of the hotel, how expensive the rooms are, the not-so-exceptional customer service, and the woman who badgered my husband while he was driving, we will not be staying at this hotel again. But more than that, we will be telling our friends and other family members to not stay here, either.

To the Holiday Inn Express: Don't bother commenting below. I've read your comments and how "concerned" your hotel is. I doubt that, considering your customer service and poorly constructed building have remained unchanged. We should have listened to the negative ratings and comments you've received thus far. Lesson learned.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank liza413
Jennifer C, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Marysville, responded to this reviewResponded November 8, 2012

Dear Liza413
Thank you so much for taking the time to tell us about your most recent experience at our hotel. Although you have mentioned not to bother commenting below, I feel I must after reading your review. It is quite apparent without question, that we did not make the grade although an apology hardly seems like enough, we hope it will be a start. I sincerely apologize for the many ways in which we failed to provide you with the kind of customer service we strive for and the customer service you so deserve. We have several new people on staff as of recently, and although this is not an excuse, we look forward to using this experience as a training opportunity for our staff. We take full responsibility for the fact that you were not treated the way that you should have been treated in this situation. I know you may not want to contact us in regards to this matter, and that is understandable, I would personally like the opportunity to speak with you about this stay and have the opportunity to help resolve any left over frustrations from your stay. I hope for the opportunity to speak with you soon regarding this matter and if not we extend our sincerest apologies.
Lyle Tenderholt
Front Office manager

Reviewed October 18, 2012

We stayed here for one night on our way to Seattle to break up the trip and get some serious shopping done.
The location is perfect as it is off the same exit as the Seattle Premium Outlets just on the opposite side of the I5.
Check in was fast and easy. There was cookies and fruit in the lobby which was a nice treat.
Our room was spacious, clean, quiet and comfortable.
Breakfast in the morning was great. They had a variety of cereals, pancakes, bagels, toast, coffee and juices.
I would not hesitate to stay here again and recommend it to friends and family.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Boop0101
Reviewed October 14, 2012

This is a lovely motel. The staff were great, beautiful lobby, nice clean rooms and a great continental breakfast. Eggs, bacon, biscuits and gravy, waffles, pancakes, fruit....Something for everybody. They have a shuttle that runs every hour to the casino across the way and close to lots of shopping. Easy to find off the interstate also.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Lisa P
Reviewed October 9, 2012

Stayed there for a mid-week shopping trip to the outlet mall during the summer and were very impressed. The breakfast was excellent, and loved having such a convenient shuttle bus available. Place was clean and quiet, staff were polite and helpful. The pool was lovely, especially after a long drive and having the grocery store and restaurants so close by was also very nice. Very reasonable price considering it was the middle of summer. Would definitely stay again.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Donna403
Reviewed October 8, 2012

We were unable to get a short notice room from the luxe casino hotel. This one was a fine substitute. It was built in 2007 so the bathrooms are updated. The shower stall floor squeaked when moving around but the overall bathroom was large with tile floors and a nice long counter. Shampoo, conditioner, body lotion & built-in hairdryer. Room had coffee & tea service. Shuttle delivers you to casino and back once per hour and runs 24 hours. Free buffet breakfast was mediocre. Very busy breakfast room. Had pancake machine but it took so long for the machine to pop one out that I decided to not bother waiting in the line for one. They should just have some already made. Little omelets were not all that tasty. Buffet ran out of most food about 10 min time before the end of the breakfast. Variety of food though.

Lots of kids in this hotel and they seemed to enjoy it.

Staff are very friendly and helpful.

Room was dark and could hear traffic outside from the #5 highway. Bed was comfortable. This is a good lower budget alternative to the expensive casino hotel.

Room Tip: East corner away from Highway #5
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you for letting us know about your most recent stay with us. We always like hearing from our guests about how their stay was, what they liked what they disliked. I am glad that you enjoyed most of your stay and are sad to hear that breakfast seemed to be the worst part. We are continually trying to ensure that our breakfast is hot and ready to go. The pancakes are I have to say one of my new favorite things here and urge you to try them the next time you come our way. Please stop by and say hi the next time you are here, I would love to extend our thanks.
Lyle Tenderholt
Front Office Manager

Reviewed October 7, 2012

I recently had the pleasure of staying at the Holiday Inn Express in Marysville WA and I have to say the hotel is really nice, rooms roomy and bright. It's the best value in town.
I would highly recommend staying there.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Marysville
Tulalip Resort Casino
Best Western Plus Arlington/Marysville
Hampton Inn Seattle/Everett
Best Western Cascadia Inn
Angel of the Winds Casino Hotel

Been to Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Marysville? Share your experiences!