“A Clean Room in the Wilderness”
Review of Buffalo Run Inn

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Marblemount
Buffalo Run Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Marblemount
Long Island, NY
“A Clean Room in the Wilderness”
Reviewed August 19, 2013

The Cascade Hwy has very limited accommodations if you want to hike Cascade Pass. We stayed at Buffalo Run Inn in Marblemount for two nights and felt it was great for a motel in the middle of nowhere. We had room 4 in the back which was very quiet with a private bath. The room was small but spotlessly clean and the bed was comfortable. I did like that it had a mini fridge that ran pretty quiet.
Check in was at the restaurant across the street but wasn't a big deal, we just parked at the Inn and walked across. We delt with the owner for check in and he was pleasant and helpful. If you are checking in after hours make sure you ask how to do that since cell phones don't work there.
We did eat at the restaurant, it was a little pricey (although not really if you come from NY) and had a limited menu but you are in the middle of nowhere so that should be expected. If you want to eat Buffalo this is the place to go. My husband had Buffalo stroganoff which was fabulous. I had the chicken dish (not sure the name). It was ok just not to my taste. The one minor complaint I had was with the waitress. She wasn't all that friendly and when I asked a simple question about the ingredients in the vegetable lazagne she looked at me like I had two heads. She then came back and said the kitchen was busy and she couldn't find out. That's a strange response so I ordered the chicken. Later the owner came out to talk to clients and I found out he had run out of the fresh veggies he puts in it so it wasn't really a good choice that night. That I certainly understand and wish the waitress just said that.

Breakfast was fine for continental. There was a wide selection in the fridge but we were in there at the very start so it is possible that things run out.

We did have a problem with the WiFi. We couldn't get on but we could live without it.

And just some friendly advise to the owner, don't be so sarcastic in your responses in this forum. You are much friendlier in person than you are perceived on this site and it is a bit of a turn off. I was very leery about staying there but was happily surprised.

Secondly, turn off the OPEN sign after hours. We were woken up by someone banging a very long time on the door looking for a room at 12:30 am since the sign was still on.

Room Tip: Rooms in the back are quieter
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank 23kme
tatonka, Owner at Buffalo Run Inn, responded to this review, August 25, 2013
THANK YOU for the wonderful 4 STAR review! I am sorry about the waitress and her answer. Some of the youngsters we have working for us are a little rough around the edges! I also must apologize for the person banging on the door at 12:30 AM. We are the nicest lodging around and they think we have rooms waiting, even if they don't make a reservation!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed August 19, 2013

We stayed for one night at room 8. It is modern and roomy. I felt like I was at someone's house not at the Inn. It is so clean and cozy. Great place to stay while you are hiking at National Park! Please check out their restaurant and try the fresh catch fish. You will love it!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank YT C
tatonka, Owner at Buffalo Run Inn, responded to this review, August 25, 2013
WOW! THANK YOU for the GREAT 5 STAR review! It's nice to know that our customers appreciate our efforts!
Newtown, PA
Reviewed August 16, 2013

We needed a place to stay near Marblemount after hiking Cascade Pass and this was the best option. Check in at the restaurant was easy and fast. Parking was right next to the room. We booked room 10 which is a two room suite. It was roomy and clean.

Having the mini kitchen was a nice bonus. The internet started out great, but we lost the connection later in the evening. Sleeping was fine on this evening. The TV is small, but has lots of channels if one needs to catch up on things. Check out was very convenient by leaving the key on the table before leaving. The Chevron next door has a full store which we stopped at before leaving town.

This hotel is a good value for the area and the suite was worth spending the extra $25.

Room Tip: Room #10 is a good choice because it's a 2-room suite and on the ground floor, can park right ou...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank relayer
tatonka, Owner at Buffalo Run Inn, responded to this review, August 17, 2013
Thank You for the very nice 4 STAR review!
Massachusetts
Reviewed August 14, 2013

Our room at the Buffalo Run Inn was very comfortable, clean, and spacious. It was nice to have a microwave and small fridge. The choices at the self serve breakfast were varied. Checking in to the hotel was rather cumbersome because you have to check in at the restaurant across the street and the owner was not there and no one else seemed to know how to acknowledge our reservation.

Room Tip: We were in the Buffalo Room
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
tatonka, Owner at Buffalo Run Inn, responded to this review, August 15, 2013
Thank You for the Great 4 STAR review!
Hermosa Beach
Reviewed August 12, 2013

Being almost the only place to stay near the North Cascades National Park, we weren't expecting too much, but we were pleasantly surprised. The room had a lot of nice features (refrigerator, microwave, TV, air conditioning, wifi and was very clean. The complimentary breakfast was not great, but certainly enough to get us started for our early departures.

Room Tip: #8 was a good room -- outside entrance and no one overhead.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
tatonka, Owner at Buffalo Run Inn, responded to this review, August 15, 2013
Thank You for the wonderful 4 STAR review!
Poulsbo
Reviewed August 6, 2013

This is the only hotel in town. Beautiful rooms and nice AC. That was about it. All rooms were close to road and busy semi-truck traffic.

If I had a choice to go else where after speaking to owner and tasting his cheap breakfast choices, I would have. When asked a simple question, the owner was rude, cocky and not helpful. When we showed interest in eating at the restaurant he owns, he was not making eye contact, or answering our questions without giving us a weird vibe of entitlement. Come to find out later at dinner he is a Senior Chief retired (go figure) and was in our space during our meal. Didn't go away, and was disrespectful when we shared that we are active military family. If you hadn't guessed at this point, we did not stay for dessert.

Room Tip: We slept in room #1 and I was awake a bunch durring the night due to loud traffic by my head. Unfor...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank girlwithapearlearing
tatonka, Owner at Buffalo Run Inn, responded to this review, August 9, 2013
Thank you for the review! The breakfast is complimentary! I am the owner and I am sorry for being rude, cocky, not helpful, not making eye contact and for having a weird vibe of entitlement, etc., etc.! Are you a psychologist?
Wisconsin
Reviewed August 2, 2013 via mobile

This is a difficult review for me because some things about the buffalo run are outstanding and then other things... Not so good. That said, room 3 was fabulous. Spacious, clean, nice decor, fridge and microwave. We had a good 3 nights there.
The do it yourself continental breakfast is adequate however the most important part was missing. What would that be? COFFEE! The first morning I got the last cup, none left for my husband. I would happily have made another pot but my quick search of cupboards found no coffee. The other two mornings there was no coffee at all in the breakfast room pot. We went to the nearby coffee kiosk and bought our own. Now I can do without breakfast but I cannot do without my morning coffee. I don't know who was missing in action at the B.R. in the morning, but somebody should have been making coffee or at least making sure coffee was there for others to make. Maybe they figure its good enough to have that little pot and one small packet in the room, but for me this was a poor policy.

Next, checking in at the restaurant is okay, but is it too much to ask for a smile and a quick How are you upon arrival?
Instead we were just growled at as though we were bothering them. We had reservations and are very friendly people but the woman who checked us in was downright rude. Maybe she was busy but even so it is not smart business policy to make paying guests feel unwelcome.

Dinner at the restaurant is yet another mixed review. My meal was the special buffalo lasagna with salad. The salad came late but other than that I thoroughly enjoyed it. However my husband ordered a mussels appetizer and said the mussels were the worst he ever had, chewy and old. He was also upset because it took a good 15 minutes or more for him to get his scotch on the rocks. The waitress said only the owner could make the drinks and he was busy cooking. Another strange business policy. When the scotch finally came it was very tiny. My husband suggested to the waitress they might want to talk to the supplier of the mussels about quality. She said he should talk to the owner. When the owner came outside, where we were sitting, he spent many minutes talking to some Russian guests and then went straight back inside so we never got to talk to him.

I will also say that before our food ever came, the table next to us had two different sets of people come and sit, look at the menu, and then get up and leave. These people thought the food overpriced. I don't see it that way. When you are in a remote location you should expect to pay a little more.

So, if my husband were writing this review he would give the restaurant zero stars, the room 3, the lack of coffee makes for zero stars again. But since I' m writing and am trying to be honest I give the buffalo run 3 1/2 stars, but bumped it to four at the top of the review because the room really was very nice and the location is perfect for excursions to the fabulous North Cascades National Park.

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank pinehollowgirl
tatonka, Owner at Buffalo Run Inn, responded to this review, August 9, 2013
The coffee in your room is complimentary as well as the breakfast in the morning! It is not our responsibility to make sure that you have an abundant supply of coffee to drink throughout the day! We usually have several refills for the coffee pot in the breakfast area, but our guests, who drink a lot of coffee, feel that it is their right to take it with them, when they leave!
The mussels we serve in the restaurant are the same ones we have used for almost 20 years and his is the first complaint! How many Scotch's did he drink before you came to the restaurant?

So your husband would give the Restaurant no stars for the 15 minute wait for his tiny Scotch and the Inn no stars for lack of coffee! Makes perfectly good sense to me!!! He needs the coffee to sober up in the morning!

Been to Buffalo Run Inn? Share your experiences!