“Worth your time”

Newhalem Visitor Center
More attraction details
Owner description: The visitor center offers information and an audio/video presentation of the area.
Reviewed February 20, 2013

I have been enjoying the unique experience at Newhalem since 1964 during tours as a grade school student

Make it part of your life experience also!

2  Thank orioncreative
There are newer reviews for Newhalem Visitor Center

Reviewed January 2, 2013

I didn't spend much time in the visitor's center. The true gem of the area is the still functioning worker's town of Newhalem itself. There are buildings hearkening back to the day when company towns were common. The store has a few treats to buy. The chili dog was acceptable.The walking tour of the power company's gardens and trails on the side / behind the dam was a real surprise. They still have the original electric lights and it once had exotic plants. It is now more a regional garden, but its ponds, waterfall and bridges make for a fun side excursion.

2  Thank lunarlib
Reviewed October 10, 2012

Probably the best visitor centre we have been in - very new, great displays and good location for visiting the North Cascades - particularly if you are approaching from the west. Spectacular view of the mountains from the short boardwalk at the back of the centre.

3  Thank WickhamfordJane
Reviewed August 21, 2012

The relief map with lights to indicate places in North Cascades National Park is the central exhibit of this visitor center.

1  Thank Karen H
Reviewed August 13, 2012

Newhalem V.C. is right in the heart of the Northern Cascades area of Washington state. Traveling this section of the state was amazing and when I stopped at the visitor's center, the ranger had a recommendation for a trip up Cascade River Road that I never would have found on my own. He gave me a map of the area, pointed out the way to get to the road, and even mentioned that a large portion of it was gravel and may be a challenge to drive. When I reached the top of that recommended trip, it was one of the most spectacular scenes I'd ever taken in. I hiked a bit, took tons of photos, and enjoyed the peaceful spot as I was the only human being there. I even built a tiny "snow lady" with some of the snow. A snow lady in July - not something you can do in Pennsylvania! Like I said, I never would have found this lovely place if it had not been for the helpful ranger at the Newhalem V.C. If you're traveling the Northern Cascades, you should definitely stop by this place.

5  Thank Clare D