“Pleasant surprise”

Ranked #9 of 13 Hotels in Lynnwood
Palmer, AK
“Pleasant surprise”
Reviewed July 21, 2011

We recently had a stop over in the Seattle area and the booking agent at Expedia recommended this hotel. The rate was quite reasonable, yet upon arrival I was a bit worried about the outside look and "low weekly rates" sign in front of this hotel. My worries were unfounded, as once we were inside we were greeted by a clean and pleasant lobby.
Our room had a clean carpet, interesting furniture, fridge and very comfortable pillow top bed. The bathroom was clean as well--although there was air in the pipes, but worked ok once the water ran for a bit.
For the price, I could not have asked for a better room. Customers who prefer everything brand new may not like it, but personally I like hotels that are a bit different and it met our needs. Did not try the breakfast.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
5 Thank Arcticstar

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
  • Korean first
Houston, Texas
Reviewed February 24, 2011

For $50/night, this hotel had more amenities than most $70 ones I've stayed at. Rooms are clean and spacious, with fridge, microwave, good sized TV, and free wi-fi. Other reviewers have mentioned a cigarette smell, but I have a sensitive nose and noticed none whatsoever anywhere in the hotel. Those were older reviews, so maybe the hotel has made changes since then. Or maybe I'm just hitting the slow season. I did not try out the workout room or hot tub.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled solo
7 Thank DamonHastings
Orange County, CA
Reviewed August 3, 2009

I booked this place because of positive reviews here, and elsewhere. My experience was awful!

* Lobby stinks from smoke!
~The smoking floors are on the lower levels and the hotel is an open atrium style, so the whole place smells horrid.
* Fire code violations abound!
~They keep all of the stairwell doors propped open. These are supposed to be the smoke free route to the ground, in case of fire. Instead, they are always open and smell like cigarettes. This is just the beginning.
*The stairwell is also disgustingly dirty.
*No internet service!
~ The signal was so weak in our room that we could never connect to the internet. They have 2 standard answers for this issue. "There are too many people using it". (Really? At 2 am?), and "We'll reset the router", which did not work no matter how many times they said they tried.
~ Oh, and said router sits out on the front desk. Very attractive!
*Breakfast....
~A few dry bread goods (with nothing to put on them) and coffee, in a dark and dingy room that smelled like arm pits.
*Location is a less than safe feeling neighborhood.
*Service: They simply do not seem to care about anything, no matter how nicely you try to point it out to them.
~ We booked for 3 nights and left late on the second night. They charged us for the full 3 nights minus 30% of 1 nights stay ($26). RIP OFF!!!!!
* SECURITY ALERT!!! ~ They use coded key cards! The cards have the room numbers printed on them and they insist on keeping them upon check out. If any of your personal info. is attached to these cards, it could be a serious problem.
* Bathroom: Sink water pressure is too low to even brush your teeth.
* Fitness room: 1 recumbent bike, 1 treadmill.
*** None of this really includes the general state of disrepair of the place. (broken lamp, ugly stick down carpet runners in the lobby, and so on...)

The one positive thing I have to say is that what little effort they have put into this hotel IS in the rooms. They do have: microwave, small fridge, flat screen TV, nice furniture and and our room was clean, if you don't count the random hairs on the toilet (Eeewww!).

We found refuge in the LaQuinta Inn on Alderwood, in Lynnwood. I am writing from there, now that I have internet service and can actually breathe the air. It's only a few more dollars than the H.I. and is a world apart!!!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank RoadTripper888
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed June 30, 2009

I booked this hotel based on year old reviews from TripAdvisor. If you want low budget and don't mind stained carpets, nonfunctioning mini-refrig, missing lightbulb and bare socket in bathroom, nonworking bed lamp, dusty bathroom mirror, barely there continental breakfast served in a room with water stains in ceiling, and a nonexistent spa (pictured in Expedia ad) yet like a nice bed, a quiet room and ample parking, then this place is for you. The vacuum cleaner is stored in the "fitness center" that has two pieces of workout equipment and mop and bucket grace the entrance to the breakfast area. Free paper, coffee and Costo cookies at breakfast; not enough benefit to return!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
Port Moody, BC
Reviewed August 25, 2008

My family of 4 stayed for four nights. I was worried when we first drove up to the hotel as it looked old. However, the room we stayed in was a pleasant surprise. The room and the bathroom were both very clean and we had a small bar fridge, microwave and TV. Beds were very comfortable and housekeeping did a good job tidying up the rooms and providing fresh towels everyday. Unfortunately, because we were in a corner room, we didn't have WiFi access but that was solved by bringing our laptop outside the room where a couch was conveniently located.

Breakfast was a basic continental breakfast (toast, bagels, english muffins, cookies, croissants, 3 varieties of cereal, and bananas along with orange juice, milk, coffee and tea). However, if you wake up really late and there are a lot of guests staying at the hotel there probaby won't be much left.

The hotel has easy access to I-5 and there are a lot of restaurants nearby and also Safeway, Fred Meyer and Albertson's. It would have been nice if the hotel had a pool (for my kids) but there is a rec centre a few blocks away. Also, there is a park directly across the road from the hotel that is suppose to have a lake and walking trails and one a block down the road there is another park with a children's playground.

Overall, I would recommend the hotel especially for budget conscious travelers and would stay there again.

• Liked — Convenient location.
  • Disliked — No pool and limited fitness equipment.
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 Thank PoMoMom
Chicago suburbs
Reviewed August 19, 2008

After a disappointing stay in BC, we were relieved to find the Hotel International was a well run, clean establishment in a nice suburban area. The hotel is about 5 minutes off I-5, convenient and without the highway noise.

The lobby is quite nice (although a bit dated) and opens up to all 4 floors. Upon checkin, we were directed to a room on the 4th floor. The room was recently remodeled and had a large king sized bed with an awesome mattress and fluffy pillows. The bathroom was huge, although still vintage 1980s and dim. Not to worry, we were only there to stay the night before leaving from the airport the next day.

Breakfast was sufficient. Nothing fancy, but enough to get you going: cereal, english muffins, croissants, donuts and cookies.

If I needed an affordable place to stay in a Seattle suburb, I would definitely consider staying here again.

• Liked — Comfortable bed and cost
  • Disliked — N/A
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
3 Thank TravelingLibrarian98
Pacific NW
Reviewed August 8, 2008

I stayed midweek. I was skeptical about it's location and cost, but it was a fine budget minded hotel (compare to hotels twice the price on the East Side of Lake Washington). The Hotel is off the beaten track a bit, but that meant it was quiet, without the usual freeway noise (I slept with the windows open all night). King size bed was comfortable, checkin late at night was fine, parking lot is monitored, I didn't see any WIFI, so don't count on it, though there seemed to be an Internet computer in the lobby. Room was large enough, tv worked, bathroom and shower clean and everything seemed to work.

This is comparable to many of the usual lowend chains, Quintana Inn, Days Inn, etc. It reminded me quite a bit of your usual business hotel in Europe. Spartan but ok.

If you have to pay your own way in Seattle, and have transportation to get there, this is probably a good bet. For travelers, this is not near the airport, but is a short walk to a major bus line that can get you downtown Seattle, or north to Everett.

• Liked — value
  • Disliked — parking lot was a bit dark for late night checkin, but it was video monitored.
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank 8string