WINNER WONDERLAND

Review of BEST WESTERN Alderwood

BEST WESTERN Alderwood
Ranked #4 of 13 Hotels in Lynnwood
Humble, United States
“Second Visit was Not a Charm”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2014

We had stayed at this Best Western just North of Seattle about five years ago and had a good experience. After spending another four days there for a graduation we will not be returning. I remember the motel had a decent continental breakfast but this time around it was not as good as I remembered. The real problems all related to the room. First, they put us in a handicapped access room, which for some bizarre reason was on the fourth floor. There was no light in the hallway entering the room and this is the area where the tiny closed is located. The housekeeping staff turned the air conditioner off and left the heat lamp in the bathroom on every day. Needless to say the room was way too warm and it tood forever to get the bathroom cooled off with the wall mounted air conditioning unit at the opposite end of the room. One day we had no bathmat. When we called the desk, the attractive but somewhat challenged attendant did not know what a bath mat was so we had to settle for extra towels. The next day housekeeping produced another bathmat. I think this is a decent hotel and it has adequate parking which is always at a premium in Seattle. There is a good selection of restaurants nearby and the hotel is only ten minutes North of Seattle on I-5. I just don't think the current owners are doing a very good job of running the operation.

Room Tip: Do not accept a room that you did not request.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
Port Coquitlam
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2014

Stayed here for a shopping weekend with my daughter. The first room we were given was very small, with a big stain on the floor and to top it off the window had no lock and we were on the first floor. I went to the front desk and they were more than happy to upgrade us to a much better room. Overall we were very happy with the staff, the breakfast and found that the hotel was kept very clean. Truly I do feel that being a Best Western (and I have stayed in many) that it could use a little face lift.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Surrey, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2014

Polite staff, good breakfast with variety and decent quality food, plus a pool and hot tub (which is actually quite hot - much appreciated!). The hotel decor is a bit dated, but clean. Overall it's good value for your money.

Pasco, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2014

We were very pleased at our two day stay at this motel, and had a great breakfast each morning..great room also. The breakfast area is a bit crowed at 8AM but was fine earlier in the morning.The motel is located very close to shopping at the Alderwood mall which made it very handy also.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business

Bremerton, WA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 27, 2014

I am pretty easy to please when it comes to hotels. Give me a comfortable, clean bed to sleep in and a clean room with some effort towards noise control. I also ask that things work like they are supposed to work. I had one of those here.

I have just spent three nights at this hotel. This was not anywhere near worth the money. First, they ask for a credit card for incidentals, which I assume is in case I make a phone call. In this day of free long distance I really don't understand this one. There are no other "incidentals" that I can think of. What they do not make clear is that they will put a $20 a day hold on your card. Then my key card rarely worked. I had to stick it in the slot and pull it out four or five times before my door unlocked. It also didn't work on the side entrance door like it was supposed to but I obviously wasn't the only one having that problem because they ended up just putting tape over it to keep it unlocked.

The bed in the room was like sleeping on a piece of plywood with a rock box spring. I tossed and turned all night each night. The room was dimly lit with the new "energy saving" bulbs. I was also able to hear everything that went on in the first floor hallway and I apparently had Thunderfoot McGhee in the room above me on the first night. Of course the thunderfoot thing was not the hotels fault.

The soda vending machine takes credit cards, but beware! The drinks are listed as $1.50 but if you use a credit card, its $2.00. That's not marked on the machine.

On the upside, the staff was friendly and pleasant when I had interaction with them and huge kudos to the housekeeping staff. The room was clean and the linens were clean as well. The location is pretty good with easy access to the interstate and the main road running through the area also.

There was a mini-fridge, an iron, ironing board and a hair dryer in the room. The a/c worked well. The wi-fi worked good and although someone else commented that it was slow, I didn't seem to have that problem.

Would I recommend this hotel, probably not. I stayed at a different hotel for the same price a couple of months ago when I was in Lynnwood and I was much happier there.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank jdmseattle
Palm Desert, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 27, 2014

We stayed at the Best Western Alderwood on June 13th through June 15th and were very pleasantly impressed by the Hotel. The initial impression from the hotel lobby and check-in was very much like an international hotel and very impressive.

We had a room on the top floor of the side wing which was spacious, nicely furnished, clean and very quite. The bed was comfortable and we had three good nights sleep.

Breakfast was available early, 6:30 AM on weekends and 6:00AM week days in an area off the main lobby with a pool side view with granite topped tables and lounge area. The breakfast offerings were fresh, nicely displayed and continuously replenished by invisible service personal. During our stay there were a fair number of other guests but there was always room in the breakfast area to accommodate everyone.

Further we were always able to fine acquit parking near a side door next to the elevator and had no wait problems for the elevator.

We had a relax and enjoyable stay at this facility.

This hotel has a lot to offer and far exceeds many of the Best Western facilities having a Plus rating.

The hotel is located at the I-5 exit #181 for 196th Street SW and has very easy access to US-99 / Aurora Ave. offering convenient access to the area.

The Lynnwood Mall, with all the major Brand Name stores is approximately a mile north of the hotel on 36 Ave. W.

Room Tip: There is only one elevator for the side wing and one ice machine / vending area which is on the grou...
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2014

This hotel is very convenient to the freeway and major streets. We had family in Edmonds and we were only 15 minutes away from them and the shops and restaurants there. Access to the Sound and ferries was also close. The hotel was well kept and the room was fine. They do need to work on the carpet, however. We were surprised with the variety of things available at the hot breakfast. This was excellent.