“Windmill Inn in Lynden, Washington--This was the last time”
Review of The Mill Inn

The Mill Inn
Ranked #2 of 3 Lynden B&B and Inns
Tacoma, Washington
“Windmill Inn in Lynden, Washington--This was the last time”
Reviewed November 18, 2012

Last year, at the same time of year, we stayed here.

I thought then, and still think now that it is a great idea for a hotel, and has great promise. Sadly, it's not getting a chance to live up to that potential.

As we did last year, we stayed in the room that the Inn touts as their premier room. Room 3. The room is huge. There are two chairs at a table, and a small rocker next to a 3-seat couch. A king-size bed, a dresser, and a Jacuzzi.

They claim that this room has 2 bathrooms. Well---no it doesn't. One of them has a sink and a toilet. The other has a sink and a small kit-type stall shower (think Lowe's). One bathroom has broken tile around the faucet handles. I told them about that a year ago, and nothing's been done.

There is the now-standard 4-cup coffee pot in the bathroom that has the toilet. There is no refrigerator, nor is there a microwave.

The TV set in the room is smaller than the monitor that most people have on their computer these days. And---get this---it takes two remotes to run this little-bitty TV. One for power and volume, and the other to change channels. There is no working mute button on either remote.

Regarding some of the other amenities that the public has come to expect, don't get your hopes up. There is no wi-fi to be had, and seemingly, no interest to get any. If you want/need to go on-line, you need to go to the Dutch Mothers restaurant three blocks down, to the city library two blocks over, or the windmill coffee shop half a mile away. They don't bother to mention the Starbucks that is about a mile away. I don't need internet access 24/7, but in the evening to check mail would be nice.

Want breakfast? Sorry, not here. The closest place again is Dutch Mothers, which is in fact quite good. You will have a real problem if you're in Lynden on a Sunday though. The town closes Saturday night, and stays closed until Monday. Nothing is open in the mornings other than the churches, and very little any other time of the day. Strangely, nearly none of the national chain locations are open at all on Sunday. Not Starbucks, not McDonald's...you get the idea.

Apparently, the restaurant in the attached Dutch Village Mall used to provide a free breakfast to the Inn's guests. As far I can could tell, that establishment is gone, along with pretty much all the other tenants in the Mall. At least it (the Mall) was not open on the days we were there.

So, if you want breakfast on a Sunday, be prepared to drive nearly to Bellingham to get to the Hilltop Cafe on Hwy 539. It's about 10 miles from the Inn. Again, the food is good, but it's still 10 miles away. Sort of out of the way unless you were planning on going that way anyhow.

The staff that you are likely to see/talk to at the Inn are quite nice. They always have been. The staff you don't see could use some training, and supervision. Specifically, housekeeping.

Don't get me wrong, the room was clean, and smelled clean. I have no issues with that.

Their main speed bump seems to be the coffee pot. On the first morning after we checked in, I went to make coffee. Well, I had to dump the previous day's coffee out of the pot first. Housekeeping didn't bother. When they cleaned the room that afternoon, they didn't bother to re-stock the coffee, and by the time I discovered that, it was too late to get any.

Right about now, you're probably wondering why I couldn't get coffee that evening. Well, it's because this isn't a hotel in the conventional sense. There is no lobby or front desk. The lobby is the Dutch gift shop that is in the base of the windmill. When the store closes, you're SOL. And since this was a Sunday, the store wasn't open at all. Just great. No breakfast, and no coffee until we get leave.

There is a claim that there is a “Night Hostess”, but I have never seen anything to lead me to believe in her.

The day we left, after we got home, my wife mentioned that she thought she had been bitten by something. Upon investigation, she had the 3-in-a row bites that are sometimes associated with bedbug bites. We called the Inn, and they told us they would investigate the room. Shockingly, when they called us back a couple of days later, we were told that they hadn't seen any sign of the little buggers. In all our travels over the last 30 years, this is the only time this has happened to her.

I can't say that they are there, but I believe they are. Your opinion may vary. As I said earlier, the room appeared and smelled clean, with none of the rotten raspberry smell that they are known for.

I suspect you would like to know the cost for the “best room we have”. $119 per night. Really. For $80-$90 a night, you can have a fair-sized TV (with one working remote), one complete bathroom, wi-fi in the room, a microwave, a fridge, coffee, breakfast, and a front desk if you need something.

As much as I really do like the Windmill Inn, this is the last time I'll ever stay here. Since there isn't any other hotel in Lynden worth going to, we'll have to stay in Bellingham next time we come up.

I can no longer recommend this establishment to my friends or anyone else.

And that's a pity.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
13 Thank shop99er
Chelsea D, General Manager at The Mill Inn, responded to this review, January 20, 2017
As of 2016, this property is under NEW OWNERSHIP and has been COMPLETELY RENOVATED!!!

With passionate owners, dedicated staff, stunning rooms featuring a unique old-world design and new mission statement, the goal of our beautiful hotel is to provide guests with an experience like no other, treating each guest like the very important person they are. We are so sorry that your experience at the Dutch Village Inn was poor, but we hope you will come stay with us at The brand new Mill Inn!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Washington State, United States
Reviewed October 6, 2012

My wife and I decided to get away last minute on our anniversary and I booked the suite here. OK, there is limited cable TV and no broadband-- but who cares when you have a suite with two baths and a big jacuzzi? This place is great and a great value. We had a wonderful time and would stay here again.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Mark C
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Reviewed April 23, 2012

I had an event to attend in Lynden WA. Several nearby hotels from known chains were booked. Someone suggested this property to me. I was sure glad they did. Right from the initial experience of booking to the convenience of checking in I encountered super friendly service and a very quaint and unique atmosphere. Lynden was a real treat. I liked everything about it.I would highly recommend this motel to anyone. Additionally I also thought that the town of Lynden was one of those get away spots that I would love to return to. I didn't realize that something that nice was only minutes south of Abbotsford BC. It's well worth a detour across the border or a day trip from Vancouver. The dutch shops, antique stores, bakeries and the nearby tulip festival had something for everyone to do.

Room Tip: I was in Room 5 and it was very large and clean. It had plenty of dutch touches to make it seem like...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
5 Thank Mark B
Reviewed December 17, 2011

At first you get fascinated with it. A good place to just relax and do just nothing. Charming and quite place. The challenges are that you do not have a front desk and service is extremelly limited. Also, I bough some souveniers from their store I paid in cash and did not receive a receipt. I did the shopping in my way out and they offered to leave it in the room for me and so they did. When I got home, I was missing items from my purchase. I called them back and they told me that since I paid cash and have no proof of the missing item, there is nothing they could do for me. This is an small place, family owned!!! I cannot believe that for under $10 they will argue with a customer and doubt the person that just left more money in there. It was very shocking to me and changed all the good feeling I could have bring home from the place. I was planning in bringing my husband back for a just parents weekends as an special ocassion but, after this, it is just a big turn off!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
4 Thank rosita2020

Des Moines, Washington
Reviewed August 15, 2011

Stayed Rm #3 the room was ok but the maintenance isnt geting done broken tiles around tub so we laid towells over so we wouldnt cut are hands on, broken tiles around sinks, faucets not working right, exhaust fan in restroom not working.
I think this was once a nice place but now i think it has a slum lanlord ( which is also the word around town) iam betting that is why the rest of this building which has a indoor mini mall space is almost vacant but could be the neatest place in town.
Area has great landscape, good museum, great food at Dutch Mothers, but drive to bellingham for a hotel room

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank todd m

Reviewed July 20, 2011

nice people, nice place, clean, very quiet, excellent location. my place of choice if i have to do it again! thank you.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank rosita2020
Victoria, Canada
Reviewed June 10, 2011

It was a wonderful experience with great ambience! My husband & I loved how each room is decorated with a theme of the different regions of the Netherlands. We wanted the experience of staying in a windmill. Our room had a hot tub and was very romantic. The room was very clean, the bed very comfortable & the staff were wonderfu,l especially Jaime. Lynden is a small, conservative & religious town so everything is closed on Sundays. The Agricultural parade showed this community's pride in their livelihoods( altho the narrating pastor was really annoying)! Loved the Klompen Dancers and the Dutch motif!. When we had some rowdy teens partying in the parking lot across the street the Lynden police did an awesome job of dealing with them!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Lorena070
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lynden
Oxford Suites Bellingham
Hotel Bellwether
Hotel Bellwether
#9 of 26 in Bellingham
Best Western Plus Country Meadows Inn

Been to The Mill Inn? Share your experiences!