“A very Deceptive Store Front”

Lynden Pioneer Museum
Ranked #2 of 15 things to do in Lynden
Reviewed October 30, 2013

A small store front - opens into a heck of a museum. A was totally surprised to find three floors of museum quality artifacts. On the first floor has a number of exhibits regarding the history of the Lynden area - including logging, military, some Dutch history in the area. Going to the basement a large amount of wagons - from the very small to large delivery wagons - a 1912 thrasher with a steam tractor - some cars - small engines - more then a person absorb. Back up to the first floor in a replica dinner and then a number of shops including a church, funeral parlor, depot (with railroad history). The third floor continues the stores exhibits - you name the store they have a historical exhibits showing items that relate to that type of store. The circus train exhibit seems a bit out of place in a historical museum.

1  Thank travelsbyrail
"my favorite"
"early days"
"second visit"

Reviewed August 25, 2013

I was very surprised how big the museum is. I did not expect that.
Very interesting and I really enjoyed the time there. Well worth to visit.

1  Thank Seneca L
Reviewed August 1, 2013

I have lived in Bellingham and driven past this location for that last seven years but never gone in. My mother was in town and wanted to see “the Dutch town.” I tried to dissuade her. Lynden is nice, but not a destination in and of itself. We go there for the Million Smiles playground and the fair...

We walked the length of Front street from west to east to Hannegan/1st street. I was just saying we should cross the street and walk back because we had seen it all when we noted the museum. It looks like there isn't much more than a store front... Boy was I mistaken.

Inside is a large building that houses a remarkable collection. The front is occupied exhibits on area dairy, poultry and egg industries. Next we saw exhibits on early settlers and Indian cultures. In the basement they have an extensive collection of wagons, antique cars (including the 1st mass produced GM electric car), and farm implements. Then they have exhibits of memorabilia brought home by local soldiers from WWI, WWII, Korean war and Vietnam. I didn't see anything from from more recent conflicts- desert storm and shield- Iraq or enduring freedom- Afghanistan, I'm sure its just a question of time and space. The finale as they guide you is the passage from a 1950s Soda Fountain out onto an early century main street reconstruction that allows you to look into period shops, pharmacy, dentist, doctors offices and even to see the “upstairs” areas from the merchant shops.

The exhibits are comparable to those I have seen in the Smithsonian and Chicago's Museum of Science and Industry. The exhibits are comparable to major museums but without the extensive museum curating which made it that much more approachable to me. 90 minutes was enough for a quick run through for two adults who like to stop, look and read. Kids might last that long as there is room to run around on main street. I will go back and I will recommend this to visitors with an interest in history, families with older kids when weather is lousy, and for school field trips.

Well done Lynden!

3  Thank Radvany
Reviewed July 29, 2013

This is one of the best small town museums that we have been to. Inside you can stroll a simulation of the main street of town during the early 20th century. There are antique/classic cars, antique carriages, war memorabilia and much more. The building itself is somewhat historic with an old bank vault in the lobby.

2  Thank Lynden-Tom