“Amazing Dinner”

Willows Inn Restaurant
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Scenic view
Dining options: Dinner, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: One seating at 6:30pm each night features a preset tasting menu that is entirely fished, foraged, and farmed from or around Lummi Island.
Chicago, Illinois
“Amazing Dinner”
Reviewed December 26, 2012

This was our second trip to the Willows since Chef Blaine Wetzel took over the helm a few years back. This place is a must for anyone in the Pacific Northwest. His creativity and attention to detail are incredible. All the food is locally sourced and grown on or near Lummi Island, WA. We dined with a group of 6 and were treated to the private room, just off the kitchen. Do not be intimidated by the prices ($300 per couple for a prix frix menu). While the menu lists 5-6 courses, you'll end up well over 10 with all the small "snacks" they bring. Do not miss this foodie experience - I can't imagine this two-time James Beard finalist to stick around here much longer.

• Visited December 2012

Vancouver BC
“Wonderful Memorable Dining Experience”
Reviewed December 15, 2012

Willows Inn
We stayed at the Willows Inn for our wedding anniversary. We had heard about this fabulous chef not only due to critic reviews but also some chefs in the city so we had to visit. I am a food snob and have tasted food from many outstanding restaurants so my standards are high.

Chef Blaine Wetzel is now 26 years old and started at the Willows in in 2010. His experience includes at Noma (San Pelligrino top restaurant list) in Copenhagen.

The Willows Inn restaurant is intimate and situated in an old farmhouse. The service was good with lots of waiters to help. The restaurant is a several course meal and lots of snacks. We love this concept because it makes a relaxing evening out and we truly appreciate the farm to table concept. Everything we had was delicious. The presentation style is interesting….normally you see chefs contrasting the food from the plate but Chef’s style is to show the link to nature of food with what it’s presented on so as to almost camouflage. Lots of stone, slate, wood, rocks, etc. It felt like I was connected on another level to nature and the freshness of what I was eating. Here are as many of the dishes and snacks that I can remember:
Roasted smoked sunflower root presented on seaweed in a wooden box; fresh raw oysters with fresh sorrel and tapioca beads, kale chips with truffles, geoduck clam with cucumber seeds and frozen horseradish foam (stellar dish and the cucumber seeds gave a great texture); shitake mushroom grilled on an open fire (firm, lightly smoked to bring a more intense woodsy element); smoked leg of venison which was shaved like a carpaccio topped with elderberry and chanterelle mushrooms and served with a very unique handmade antler knife; salmon roe mousse wrapped in a crispy crepe and ends were decorated with chopped chives; housemade alder smoked salmon which was slowly smoked for 5 hours and a perfect balance of flavours while being moist; caramelized grilled red onion with green rhubarb juice with sorrel and chickweed this was a stellar dish with the onion not feeling raw but had a crunch so the textures and freshness of this dish were amazing; rustic rye sourdough served with hot rocks to keep it warm; crispy halibut skin with razor claims and emulsion of halibut; spot prawn with zucchini and emulsion of nasturtiums; cooked oyster with sage, tequila and fennel; roasted and lightly breaded sweetbreads with grilled still crunchy frisee and elderflower and pickled fiddleheads with pickled caper berries gave a nice hit of acid. Dessert was simple fresh blueberries with chocolate crumbs and a woodruff infused ice cream.
The food was kept as simple as possible so that the fresh ingredients were the focus and everything was cooked to perfection. They did a fantastic job of all of the vegetables and presented some unique dishes. Chef, the kitchen staff and the front of house were all very approachable and we had a chance to meet them end of night and thank them for the wonderful experience. Would rate this among the top restaurant meals I have had in North America for sure and definitely worth the trip. We stayed overnight and I would recommend that too so you can enjoy a leisurely trip without a thought about ferry times. We are passionate about food and the chefs that are staying true to making such an intimate wonderful dining adventure possible. Chef Wetzel is such a chef with a very promising future and we look forward to enjoying more of his creations. Everything has been created with attention to detail and love. It was a wonderful experience and one we will definitely repeat again.

• Visited September 2012
Kirkland, Washington
“OMG!”
Reviewed December 10, 2012

First, I am a food snob. Really. I have a culinary degree and avoid any restaurant I think might be mediocre because I'm sure I can do better myself, at home. But this restaurant is so worth it. When we left the next morning I made a reservation to return in the late summer, when summer garden vegetables are available. But I digress. I had a meal at Willows Inn in October, when food from the sea was in season. Everything from the house-smoked salmon, to the crispy kale, to the oyster (which I don't usually even like that much) to the Dungeness crab was savor-able. Also, the chef and staff were engaged with their clientele in a way that was touching, stopping by the table, eager to answer questions at the end of the meal in the kitchen. Has anyone seen "Babette's Feast," in which a meal is presented as a a bigger than life sacrament? THAT"S what a meal at Lummi island is about. If you can get yourself there and can afford the meal, do it. Period. The only criticism I have is that the wine pairing is not a good value. The wines are a good match, but the price-to-value calculation doesn't work. Either order a bottle from the menu or pay the corkage fee and bring your own.

• Visited October 2012
1 Thank Leighsscreenname
Detroit
“Most amazing romantic getaway”
Reviewed November 23, 2012 via mobile

Best meal by far, beautiful surroundings with breath taking islands, what more can you ask for? I would go back in a heart beat. I also love that you can visit the farm your food comes from.

Chicago, Illinois
“Amazing dining experience!!”
Reviewed November 6, 2012

Definitely our best dining experience in our Pacific Northwest tour (San Juans, Seattle, Portland) and worthy of anyone who loves food, specifically fine dining food experiences.

People who stay a night at the Inn get priority for a reservation.

One of the reasons why the dining experience is so amazing is because of the surroundings is so remote, so serene and the food is a mirror image of being on this amazing ecosystem. Its like taking local-vore cuisine and being so truly dedicated to this concept. Majority of the protein and vegetables come from the island (Nettle's Farm) or the surrounding waters.

Won't really go into the menu because it does change and want to let the experience speak for itself but of note, Blaine Wetzel and his team LOVE to smoke anything. I would say at least half or not more of the meal had a smokey overtone which was great because as we drove up, we saw several of the chefs smoking in the little house to the side of the kitchen. Spot prawn season is in the summer and we were bummed we missed that. We met Blaine Wetzel after dinner although he does walk out and serve throughout the meal. He's the nicest guy, super down to earth, which made the meal that much cooler!

Overall service was good, but I think if this restaurant wants to elevate to achieve an even higher dining experience, I would say this is where it could improve. Service was good enough but not outstanding. The chefs did service about half of the dishes which was nice and personable.

Do it! Come to Lummi Island and get on this amazing dining experience. Dinner in 10/2012 was $150/pp excluding tax/tip.

• Visited October 2012