“Secluded and Cozy”
Review of Blue Fjord Cabins

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Lopez Island
Blue Fjord Cabins
portland
“Secluded and Cozy”
Reviewed April 14, 2008

Secluded, cozy and romantic define these beautiful cabins. Located on majestic Lopez island near many awe inspiring scenes the Blue Fjord cabins are a wonderful piece of paradise. The down comforter and feather bed made for the perfect place to listen to the calls of the owls each night.

Stayed April 2008

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Jacksonville
Reviewed August 28, 2007

We have vacationed on Lopez Island many times and stayed in many places and have finally found "the spot" for us, Blue Fjord Cabins.
We stayed in the Norway cabin that is set back in the forest and is like staying in a tree house. We would sit out on the deck each morning having coffee and breakfast and enjoy the peace and tranquility of the forest while listening to the sounds of silence.
The cabin was very comfortable and the bed with feather bed was an absolute dream.
At low tide,we would go down to the water and gazebo and watch the birds enjoy meals of clams and small crabs.
Lopez Island has always been a magnet to us because of the island quiteness, bicycling and kayaking. Now we have found the place for us in the forest, romantic and peaceful.
We will be back next year.

• Liked — The out of the way forest location.
  • Disliked — The bumpy road getting to Blue Fjord Cabins.
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank islandtedbear
Daytona Beach, FL
Reviewed August 27, 2007

When I travel, I like to stay in unique places which capture the character of the area I am visiting. I have always felt if you 're inside a chain hotel or a motel, you could be anywhere. This month when four of us traveled to the San Juan Islands, we chose to stay on Lopez Island because it seemed to be the least touristy of the 3 main islands. We also chose Blue Fjord Cabins because they are off the beaten path. My husband and I enjoy going down unpaved roads and discovering areas your average tourist would never find! Blue Fjord Cabins is one of those places! It is located one mile down a winding bumpy road and it is in a forest so the cabins can be darker than if you are on a main road with not a tree in sight. We all happen to love forests so this was perfect for us and I would highly recommend this property to anyone who enjoys nature and an old growth forest. Tip for forest lovers: go to Moran State Park for a day and hike through the gorgeous miles of forest in that park. Tip for other guests at Blue Fjord: there are many lights in the cabin so you can light up the place if you choose. We took both cabins and had a great time. They are separated by woods so each is private but we were close enough together that our friends could walk over in the evening for a drink.

The bed in my cabin was outstanding; I loved the featherbed, down comforter and linens. I also enjoyed sitting out on the deck and watching for birds. Each cabin has a hummingbird feeder and they do come around and entertain.

All four in my group thought Lopez Island itself was the best of the San Juan Islands. It was peaceful and serene especially where we were. Don't miss the Farmers Market on Saturdays in the summer and don't miss the hike to Iceberg Point (spectacular views). All in all, a great trip!

• Liked — Its location
  • Disliked — N/A
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with friends
1 Thank MissMel23
USA
Reviewed August 11, 2007

...the title of this review just about says it all. The Norway cabin, where we stayed, has barely enough room for the bed, a small kitchenette/ table and bathroom. The cabin was so dark that it was impossible to tell whether or not it was sunny outside. And of course, there was the musty odor that resulted from the lack of direct sunlight.

The cabin is quite private, and rarely do cars drive by on the bumpy dirt road. If you are planning on doing some road biking, you'll have to transport your bikes via car to the end of the road. Mountain bikers should have no problems.

The owners are gracious and helpful. The short walk across the road and down a tricky path to the beach is well worth the trip: there you'll find a nice secluded cove. Make sure you hit it at low tide, though. Otherwise all you'll get for your efforts are some soggy shoes.

I think you might need Scandinavian blood to tolerate the gloomy dampness of this cabin!

• Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
4 Thank Uncreative_Name
Seattle, WA
Reviewed August 10, 2007

This place is incredible in terms of peace and quiet, unspoilt setting and stunning natural beauty. The humming birds, hawks, eagles (I think) abundant deer and a really secluded private beach area made this place a really nice retreat. The water is COLD, but kayaking is great -- really really great, with superb conditions and a great mix of settings to select from around the island. It is "remote" which is a selling point for me, but the whole island is so small that "remote" here is a very relative term. You can see the entire island by bike, which is an awesome way to spend the day. There is a little (very little) village on the island where you can get pretty good lunch and a full grocery store for stocking up. To use the beach area, there is a short moderately rugged hiking trail through the woods and down the rocks. It's literally 100 feet through the forest, you have to hike down because the property is on cliffs overlooking the bay. There is a beautiful view of surrounding islands or maybe the far end of Lopez wrapped around along the hike, at the beach and at the gazebo. The cabin ( there is a second one adjacent) is set back in the woods just a bit and felt a like being in a treehouse. The forest trees are enormous old growth trees completely grown in with tree ferns. The oxygen/air in there was like breathing new life into me. It was a great setting for meditation and I did a little yoga out on the gazebo. The bed was brand new, comfortable, nicer sheets, pillows. I slept with the windows open for that crisp air. The rest of the cabin is quaint, decently outfitted kitchen, very country feeling. I really loved the place and the island and had such a relaxing time. We ate dinner on their gazebo, which has awesome views of the water and surrounding landscape and is totally surrounded by forest. Hummingbirds were buzzing around like crazy over there and two deer grazed through the woods probably within 100 feet of us. We will definitely make this one of the spots to go back to. The people who own the place were nice,helpful knew all about where to go (bike shop, kayaking), and let me use their phone. We never saw or heard another person the rest of my time at the cabin, which was perfect.

• Liked — the tranquil setting
  • Disliked — availability; only two cabins, it was hard to book
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
1 Thank JaySeesTheWorld
Seattle
Reviewed July 31, 2007

A very private dark treed setting. Almost no light reached the cabin (Norway) so that you wouldn't know that it was a beautiful day outside. It was much colder in the cabin than the surrounding Island (and it's generally not hot on Lopez) so be prepared to put on your sweater when at the cabin. Sun was available at the gazebo but it was a 5 minute walk on a poor trail.

The cabin was well outfitted and comfortable but did smell musty or of mildew. The road was not suitable for a road bicycle but perfectly passable for a mountain bicycle or vehicle.

There are better lodging opportunities available on Lopez.

• Liked — Leaving
  • Disliked — light
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank seattlekite
cottonwood, ca
Reviewed July 26, 2007

We stayed at the Blue Fjord during our honeymoon in July. At the time we booked it was late in the summer and there was limited availability everywhere on the the island. I was happy choosing the Blue Fjords. Dealing with the owners was great for information and booking. They are very friendly and eager to help make your stay on Lopez a great one. When we arrived at the cabins we were content with our accommodations. This is because I had accurate expectations. This is not the Four Seasons. It is a rustic, one room cabin in a forested area (although you are actually only yards from the ocean - there is a great trail that leads you down to the water). The cabins were cozy and modestly decorated. The bed was WONDERFULLY, AMAZINGLY comfortable. There could be some upgrades, but when you are on Lopez you do not want to spend all your time in your room when you can be outside meeting the wonderful residents of the island and taking in the amazing views and landscape. The cabins are down a dirt road, but a previous poster said it was difficult to travel on in a sedan...hello? Where do you live...my driveway is bumpier than the road to the cabins. In fact, we rode our bikes to the cabin (which I do not recommend if you are out of shape :)

My only complaint was the musty odor. I am not sure what the owners can do about it, but it was slightly annoying. My husband can't smell and it didn't bother him at all. Also, you must love the outdoors to stay here. If you are a high-maintenance person who doesn't like getting dirty, or seeing wildlife this is probably not the right place for you, but I thought the area was gorgeous.

Overall our stay was pleasant, not luxurious, but pleasant. I would give the cabins a 7-8 out of 10. If you need a place to stay and want to be in a tranquil, serene setting, this is the place for you. I live in the country and I had the most peaceful nights rest ever during my stay.

• Liked — The tranquil setting, the view of the ocean
  • Disliked — The musty smell
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
The Island Inn at 123 West
The Island Inn at 123 West
#3 of 10 in Friday Harbor
Outlook Inn on Orcas Island

Been to Blue Fjord Cabins? Share your experiences!