“Too expensive for the quality”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Lopez Island
Lopez Islander Resort
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Lopez Island
Reviewed November 5, 2009

Not ADA accessible. My husband had an awful time getting over the curbs abd steps. He had to climb out of his wheelchair and scoot up the concrete steps. Very unacceptible.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled as a couple

Reviewed July 22, 2009

Lopez Island is significantly different from the other San Juan Islands. It's much more quiet, less travelled, less touristy and more down-to-earth. Some of us love that about the place. Don't expect fancy restaurants, resorts or people and you won't be let down. If you're going there to be treated like a rich tourist in Cabo or on a cruise, you will be disappointed.

The Islander is pretty much your only choice for a hotel on Lopez, although there are a few B&Bs and cabins for rent. This place ain't fancy and it's a little dated, but they've taken care of the place and it's got some pretty decent views. The restaurant is great, too.

Treat everybody on the island like you would your next-door neighbor and not a servant and they'll most likely do the same. This is the best island for cycling and relaxing IMHO. Literally 99% of all drivers will wave at you when you're cycling and be considerate in sharing the road.

We had only one jerk who roared past, scaring my sainted 75-year-old mom and he was taken care of quickly by the county sheriff after we got his license number. We rented bikes from Lopez Bicycle Works shop next to the hotel. My mom doesn't bike much, but even she had a great time on a very comfortable bike. The guy who runs the place is a real character and a lot of fun to talk to. Ask him if he ever changes his shirt for me.

I took a dozen boy scouts on a 50-mile bike trip around the island one week and then came back with my wife, son and elderly parents because I was so impressed with the place. We stayed at the state park with the scouts (beautiful place) and at the Islander with the older folks.

We've been all around Canada, Mexico, Hawaii and the rest of the U.S. as an extended family and my parents thought this was the best trip we've been on.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with family
2  Thank zogduke
Reviewed June 27, 2009

On arrival, our shower had a used bar of soap laying in it with someone else's hair embedded in it. The shampoos in the shower were half empty too. The coffee service in our room had no caffeinated coffee, just decaf. The pool & hot tub are CLOSED for renovation, and that's the whole reason we booked there. The Paper Thin walls meant I could hear everyone's conversations, when they showered, when they came & went. It was like being in a college dorm. Now, this next comment is beyond their control, but traffic is currently being re-routed past the hotel, so it is very busy on the street. I love Lopez, but hate the Islander. Why choose to renovate the pool in summer & NOT tell guest beforehand and NOT lower the prices? Next time I'm going, I'm staying at Edenwild...been there several times and loved it...just wanted to try something different and enjoy the pool with my family. No pool, pubes on the room soap...not ok. This was the worst hotel experience we've ever had.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with family
6  Thank javafan
Reviewed April 27, 2009

Great views - room was run down, two night min. due to Tour d'Lopez - one night was more
than enough - paper thin walls - Hot tub and pool under repair-
The term resort is very loosely applied

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank MercerIslandFamily
Reviewed February 11, 2008

Don't be fooled by their website. This place is very run down and poorly maintained. Although the people were friendly, the rooms were dingy, worn out in every way, and very overpriced for the area. We learned too late that there are plenty of althernatives in the vicinity for the same money. By the way, contrary to their ads, they do NOT have wireless internet; it's only in the lobby.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank nekootis
Reviewed September 12, 2007

Pluses: great location, great views, balconies overlooking the bay, okay restaurant on premises, marina. On site coin laundry. mini fridge and microwave in room.

Minuses: old, rundown property, worn furnishings and linens. (Old is ok, if well-maintained. this place was not.) Rundown, somewhat dingy pool. Room was not super clean. Haphazard maintenance of entire facility makes you wonder about the stuff you CAN'T see. Mold in shower. Bathroom floor not completely clean. 2 diamonds from AAA--i'd say they just barely earned that 2nd diamond!

Surly and/or incompetent staff. We didn't have a TV remote control in our room. My husband was told they'd all been stolen so none were available. (Huh? For what you are charging for this room you can't provide a $7 remote?) Since the hotel was not full, I asked if they'd locate a remote from an unoccupied room. You'd have thought I asked for a new bed! It took the front desk staff quite a while to figure out how to process that simple request and then relay it to the MOST surly housekeeper I have ever run across. (And "Beverly" at the front desk needs more training or a new job!)

Overall, I didn't feel this "resort" (I use this term very loosely) was a good value. Paid $116/night, felt that was WAY too much for what we got.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled with family
5  Thank BO-1500
Reviewed September 12, 2007

This was my first stay on Lopez Island and I was excited to stay at the Islander. When I arrived and checked into my room I walked into the bathroom and was appalled to see that the floors in the bathroom were filthy. It looked like they hadn't been cleaned in a couple of weeks. Housekeeping also did not vacuum around the beds and we picked up candy wrappers and a penny that they missed. We didn't pick up the cheetoo crumbs that were littered around the bed, it was too disgusting! We went down to have dinner and asked to speak to someone about getting our room cleaned. They said it would be taken care of. After dinner we returned to our room to find they hadn't done anything. The next day when we checked out we walked the manager through our room showing him the nasty floors and the really disgusting sticky phone that we didn't dare use. He humored us but we could tell he didn't see what the big deal was. Do not stay here if you like to take your shoes off in your hotel room. One look at the floors and you won't dare go barefoot. To make matters worse they wouldn't give us a discount on the pricey but gross room. I will never stay here again. A B&B is a much better way to go on Lopez!

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled on business
#11 of 11 in Friday Harbor
Friday Harbor Suites
Friday Harbor Suites
#10 of 11 in Friday Harbor

Been to Lopez Islander Resort? Share your experiences!