“Whoa--This place is SO close to being a great B&B on Lopez Island!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Lopez Island
Lopez Farm Cottages & Tent Camping
portland oregon
“Whoa--This place is SO close to being a great B&B on Lopez Island!”
Reviewed July 12, 2009

The good:
Lovely pastoral setting, with obvious special care given by the gardener; cute and functional micro-cabins with good beds; lotsa bunnies; cart to wheel your stuff 100 yds to the cabins (which is kind of fun and OK); hot tub under the stars; a decent value for the San Juans (which are fairly expensive); good location near ferry, winery, and the village; tons and tons of quiet and solitude. Also, the three comment books in our room (dating back about 12 years) were mostly full of that trite BS you'd expect, but quite a few entries (including, now, mine) were super-hilarious, or cute, or racy--just plain fun (from drawings of each rabbit, with a suitable name for each, to the 5th annual "Dykefest," to some sexual references. Yee haw!

The not so good:
1. This was the first time I ever stayed at a hotel or B&B and didn't meet the owner. I guess they are totally xenophobic or are over-respecting the guests' privacy with the solitude vibe. You pay in advance, you check yourself in, and it's all self-serve from there. This may be the wave of the future; who knows? You may find it unfettering. Or it could just be another example of the continuing loss of service in what were formerly service professions.
2. This was the first time I ever stayed at a B&B and didn't get anything that was home-baked by the host. We got a basket in our rooms, which served as tomorrow's breakfast: It had pre-packaged biscotti, fruit and tea. There was yogurt in the fridge, but it had corn syrup so we couldn't eat it; that was really contrary to the island's hippie/green vibe.
3. Hot tub was too hot. Temp gauge said 105F, but it felt hotter than that. No fun. But a lovely machine in a great outdoor setting.
4. If you are prone to going stir-crazy, more than one night here will send you to the funny farm. No phone, TV, or computer. Many commenters said "where are some books to read?" But there is a great little library in town--you just have to prepare.

Overall, though, I'd go back. I'd take more of my own food next time. Lopez Island is the best--some farmers, some eccentrics, some hippies, and some rich folks-a great combination. Try the kayak tour and rent a bike.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank kentonerwin

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Ft. Collins, Colorado
Reviewed September 28, 2008

I booked cottage #1 because of the reviews I had read. Everything was correct. You do not see anyone when you are there. You get a wonderful breakfast basket delivered to your cottage upon arrival and in the evenings. It's like you have your own private place in the middle of a quiet meadow. Our place was sparkling clean with a wonderful fireplace and little "kitchenette". Great bed and huge bathroom with amazing towels and amenities. Let me warn you though..there is NO T.V. or radio, which was incredibly refreshing after the initial shock . We did have our own jacuzzi outside the back door that was very well maintained and good sized. It was wonderful to sit in at night and watch the full moon rise from behind the trees. I think this is the only place to stay while on Lopez Island.

• Liked — privacy
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
Vernon, BC
Reviewed July 26, 2008

I recently spent four nights at this property with two girlfriends. We decided to splurge and not camp, but instead rent a cabin.
That being said, I would recommend these cabins to couples on romantic getaways, and from reading the guest book, this appears to be their main clientele; lots of honeymooners. The cabins are very small, really cute, very clean and extremely quiet and private but are really set up for only two guests at a time, right down to the dishes and cutlery. We ended up buying extra cutlery at the island Thrift Shop so we could each have our own fork.
If you want to be alone with your partner, in a tranquil setting this would be a good choice.
My complaint would be with regards to customer service on the part of the owners. One of my friends, who made the original reservation called ahead to confirm our booking, and asked if someone would be there to meet us and give us our key and show us where we were staying as we were first time visitors to the island. The owner told her that no, he was busy and did not have time to greet every guest when they arrived. This was apparently the standard of customer service, because we never saw or interacted with anyone connected to the property during our four day stay. Each day someone would come into the cabin while we were out and do light housekeeping and leave a basket of fruit, yogurt, coffee, juice and cookies. When my friend left a note on the campground bulletin board asking for an invoice for our stay, we received a handwritten note on the kitchen table the following day outlining the charges. With the extra $25.00 charge per night for the futon the owner offered to bring in for us, this was not cheap accomodation, and I would have thought that for what we paid we could have at least been invited to pick up our key from the owner and have a quick chat about where we were staying.
If I returned to Lopez, I would consider camping in their campground. The sites are private and I heard they are one of the few places to camp that have hot showers.

• Liked — Cleanlisness, privacy, natural setting
  • Disliked — Poor customer service
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with friends
3 Thank Cafe_au_lait
San Diego
Reviewed December 20, 2007

The people who were verbally assaulted described almost exactly what happened to us. I was so shocked at this man's reaction after we learned we were double-booked. He became very angry and yelled at us (two females - hope he felt great trying to intimidate us) and told us to "get off his property". I was so embarrassed because I had a visitor from South Africa, her first time to this country. Then I went back to the main house and told the woman what he did and what he said to us. She said she was really sorry and apologetic, as if this has happened before with other customers. It seems like he has an anger problem and shouldn't interact with customers. I'm surprised he hasn't assaulted physically anyone but that would have been my next place to visit - the police.

We ended up staying down the road and camping on the beach, watching the ferries and sunset. Not what we expected to do, as I had camped at Lopez Cottages before and had a wonderful time. Oh well! Beware!

• Liked — Nice country setting, quiet part of the island with sheep in the fields.
  • Disliked — Wow, the man who works there made the worst and most embarrassing travel experience in my life
  • Stayed July 2003, traveled with friends
4 Thank bellaCampagna
Seattle, WA
Reviewed June 6, 2007

Our romantic cottage at Lopez Farm Cottages was the perfect setting for the 3 day trip my boyfriend and I just returned from. We stayed in Cabin #1 and were very impressed with the decor, privacy and setting. All the items we needed and wanted were there - from the microwave and kitchen utensils to the gas fireplace and down pillows. The hot tub was right outside the door and was especially appreciated after our sunset kayak trip. And having the sheep in the next field was a treat.

The cottage was just a part of a very romantic weekend on Lopez Island. There were also tranquil country roads to bike on and many delicious meals. If you feel like a bit of indulging, try Lopez Farm Cottages on Lopez Island.

• Liked — the pastoral setting and tons of privacy
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank catphoto
Portland, OR
Reviewed October 5, 2006

My husand and I stayed in Cottage #5 and loved it! Very clean, quiet and pastoral setting which we both found very romantic. We even had our own little back yard! The communal hot tub was sparkling clean (and empty - we were the only ones there in late September 2006). The bed was comfortable and our cabin had a little DVD/TV - we got movies from the library - so fun!

Other must do's: Eat at the Love Dog Cafe (flank steak salad was out of this world), have espresso at Isabels and cinnamon rolls from Holly B's. Bike the Tour de Lopez and sit in the library and read magazines for an hour.

• Liked — Clean, clean, clean!
  • Disliked — I loved everything.
  • Tips/Secrets — Go in shoulder or off season for maximum peacefulness and romance!
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple
2 Thank lydiahawk
Portland
Reviewed September 10, 2006

My husband and I stayed at Lopez Island Farm Cottages & Tent Camping this past weekend while bike touring on Lopez Island. We stayed in the tent camping area, which was very clean and each site has it's own hammock, table and chairs. The sites are fairly private, the only down-side was being relatively close to the road from the ferry so there is occassional traffic. The tent camping option does not come with the breakfast like the cottages but there is a place to prepare meals, make coffee, etc. with a nice utility sink and prep area. There is also a covered picnic area with a fireplace, which was nice in the evening and wood is provided ($2/bundle, very cheap!). The setting is very relaxing and also a convenient bike ride into town. I would recommend it for someone looking for a place to camp that is still convenient to the amenities on the island. The showers were great too!

• Liked — Clean, showers & fireplace
  • Disliked — Road - somewhat noisy
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple
#9 of 10 in Friday Harbor
Deer Harbor Inn
Deer Harbor Inn
#1 of 2 in Deer Harbor

Been to Lopez Farm Cottages & Tent Camping? Share your experiences!