“Lunch is limited”
Review of Ginger's Restaurant - CLOSED

Ginger's Restaurant
Cuisines: American
Reviewed October 15, 2013

I grew up here in Longview and the Monticello Hotel where Gingers is located is the iconic hotel that has been there for as long as the city. It's old and very historic. It's also beautiful. I was there with a group of friends and we were seated off the dining room in the Park View Room. Dark wood paneling, white cloth tablecloths, it all looked so nice.
The lunch menu was very limited and is a better value than dinner. Their breakfast menu is much larger and I really want to come back to give that a try.
Lunch was good but not great. I had the fish and chips and the it was good. The fries are fantastic! The coleslaw was nothing to write home about. I saw lots of salads around the table but no one remarked on whether they were good or not. My friend across the table had the prime rib sandwich and she said it was good, not great.
The staff was fantastic though. Our waitress was quick and efficient and very accommodating. She got anything we wanted quickly and when we all wanted separate checks, she was on the ball. She kept the mimosas full and my water full as well.
If you have the time though, wander through the lobby and check out the old murals painted on the walls. Look up...they're everywhere. Take a stroll over to the library next door as it's just as old and is exactly what a library should be like. So is the old post office across the small park from the library. This little 'Circle' of Longview history is an architectural mini tour that's worth taking.

Reviewed May 7, 2013

Having grown up in the area, I had passed by the Monticello Hotel hundreds of times, but never crossed the threshold. While visiting my sister in the area, she suggested having brunch there after church. What a great idea! The hotel lobby is spectacular, with original murals on the walls and ceiling by an Art Deco artist whose work I recognized, but couldn't bring his name to mind. The lobby furniture is heavy solid oak with brass fitting and comfortable cushions. The front desk looks like something out of a '20's movie. Ginger's Restaurant is a step back into the present. It is all modern decor; they removed the solid brick wall facing the park and replaced it with a window-wall, which brightens the place up tremendously. The service was speedy and competent. The food was excellent, and the entire experience was positive.

Reviewed March 20, 2013

We went with another couple for Saturday evening dinner. This was our first time. The restaurant is situated in the 'historic' Monticello Hotel' which is in the center of Longview, WA. Service was friendly and fast and menu selection kind of limited but something for everyone's taste. I had a mixed seafood fettucine, others had prime rib, chicken cordon bleu and fettucine alfredo. The salads and soup were equally as good. We all felt the food would rate somewhere better than average. Prices are what I would call medium with the average meal in the $18 to $25 range.

But a dining experience isn't just about the food. What sort of dampened the experience was looking about and seeing what I can only call deteriorating walls and window trim which surprised us given that you go into the restaurant through a classy front lobby of the old hotel and it is nice dark woods and looks to have been renovated and kept up better than the restaurant.

1  Thank jbinwa
Reviewed February 23, 2013

Had lunch two separate times. Staff very friendly, food ("club" sandwiches and salads) was well prepared and tasted fresh, food was brought promptly, dining room older but clean and well maintained with great view of city square. Lunch better value than dinner.

1  Thank JohnD63487
Reviewed December 21, 2012

Went here for breakfast the other and I have to say the food was the worst I've had in a long time. Didn't even finish the food it was that bad. Who puts chunks of "ham" I think in gravy and then put that on chicken friend steak! Horrible horrible horrible.