“Whoa what happened”

Dining options: Reservations
Longview, Washington
“Whoa what happened”
Reviewed August 6, 2014

We came in to eat at the Bistro and were advised to go upstairs to the wine club. We have eaten at the Deli and Bistro for years so we did not expect what happened. There were only a few choices for meals and the portions where just tiny. The prices were astronomical. I would expect high prices in a fancy restaurant, but the food was sub par. Increasing the price of something does not make it better. It was okay at best. The service was pretty good, but not for the price. The house musician was really loud and there where just people milling about. I would not go back here again. The food down stairs is better and 1/4 the price.

Visited December 2013
1 Thank superbusylady

Los Angeles, California
“Wonderful discovery”
Reviewed July 16, 2014

The Tuesday night all-night happy hour is an exceptional value. Good wine and excellent small plates. We'll be back.

• Visited July 2014
1 Thank Berrywin
Grants Pass, Oregon
“Sadly disappointed after the hype”
Reviewed September 8, 2013

We were visiting in Kelso. After a long day, my husband and I were looking forward to a relaxing, delicious meal at The Bistro. We arrived around 7 pm, and waited for several minutes for a host to greet us or simply acknowledge our presence. Finally, someone came over and asked if she could help us. We told her dinner for two. Apparently, this was the wrong answer. There were 3 large birthday party groups dining at long tables at that time. We could see several empty small tables and 3 servers bustling around. We were told it would be a 10-15 minute wait and we shrugged and said okay.

She pointed to a sofa and asked us to sit there and then she vanished. I was perturbed that she did not ask if we wanted something to drink while we waited. I would have gladly had a glass of wine.

At last, we were seated at a table for two by the window and we perused the menu and wine list. I asked for the house merlot, thinking it would be a local wine. My mistake! (It was a wine from Stockton, CA known for bulk wine. It was on a par with Franzia wine in a box.) I wanted the waitress to take away the wire-edged merlot and bring me something more drinkable. The establishment IS called a bistro and wine bar, so I expected better quality wines. Their wine list was lacking in some really good Wash. and Oregon wines. What's up with that?

We also placed our orders for dinner. And then we waited and waited. Both my husband and I were getting irritated. After placing our orders and getting drinks served, the servers ignored us. There was no bread offered, or anyone simply checking with us, or telling us there was a delay with our meal.

My full glass of merlot still stood on the table. Finally, we went to the cashier stand and paid for the two drinks. I said the wine and service were both terrible and we would not be back. We left and found dinner elsewhere.

So, we will never know if the food is good at The Bistro. We just know that 2 diners do not get as much attention as large parties. As travelers, we had hoped this would be our new favorite place when we visit Kelso/Longview, but it is not.

Here is how my checklist looks for their failing grade: failure to greet customers promptly, failure to be welcoming to guests (who might be trying out the restaurant for a future party), failure to offer drinks to customers who must wait to be shown to a table, failure to offer a good merlot as their "house merlot," failure to bring bread, crackers, an amuse bouche, or to speak to customers after they ordered and a long wait ensued; leaving customers alone without checking on them or explaining any delays with their dinner orders, failing to make sure that even two customers were happy with their drink choices, and having the music on their sounds system turned up much too loud so that conversation was difficult. We did not want to shout at each other.

Our dining experiences in the Kelso/Longview area seem limited to fast food, pizza, chain restaurants and burgers. If The Bistro or any other restaurant has better food, we may never know. Next time, we are likely to just go to a Mexican restaurant with our friends.

• Visited September 2013
2 Thank Writergal49
“Surprise surprise”
Reviewed January 26, 2013 via mobile

You don't expect this here in a small town or a smaller town then a Portland, Vancouver... But, this place would thrive in any bigger city. Excellent food, excellent wine selections... I've eaten here at least 10 times and never been dissapointed

3 Thank SleepV6Cr
Kelso, Washington, United States
“Great for Lunch and Dinner”
Reviewed January 23, 2013

This is one of our favorite places in town for Lunch and Dinner.

Soups are excellent, especially their Beer/Cheese. Large Sandwiches on fresh Homemade Style Bread.

Dinner is excellent with many very good choices and good wine selection as well.

Pricing is reasonable for both.

• Visited December 2012